PDA

View Full Version : Storeing Danish Oil

turnerted
24th August 2013, 06:28 PM
As most are aware,DO and similar products,will go off when expose to air and manufacturers suggest not storeing in part full containers but decanting in several smaller containers or putting marbles into the container to displace the air. These are cumbersom proceedures and not really practical.
A litre of DO lasts me about 6-8months and for some years I have been using reclaimed wine cask bladders as storage containers. These have worked well but have some disadvantages in that the bladder has a silver lining and is not transparent. It has always worried me that after washing the bladder out, I may not have got rid of all the water and contaminate my DO.The other problem is that being opaque, you cannot see if there is a buildup of air in the bladder.Every so often it is necessary to hold the bladder so the outlet is uppermost and gently squeeze it until DO comes out to expell any air.
My consumption of DO now tends to exceed my consumption of cask wine but the problems now looked to be solved. My wife who is a keen gardener, has discovered that liquid fertilizer is now available in two litre wine cask type packageing.The big difference is that the bladders are clear plastic so there is no longer any risk of undetected water in the bladder and it is now easy to see if there is a build up of air in the bladder.The only thing I don't know is if there is any incompatability problem with the plastic used to manufacture the bladder and DO.Time will tell.
This fertilizer is sold by Bunnies and probably others.
As seen in the picture,I just hang the bladder from a shelf using a G clamp.I have found with the wine bladders, that after a while ,the outlet would gunk up and I have to clean it out by pokeing a nail through the outlet. I also flip the bladder up on to the shelf when not in use so's the outlet is uppermost as I have found the outlets may drip when they get old.

turnerted
24th August 2013, 06:33 PM
continued
Well there not much more other than to add the picture.
Ted

RETIRED
24th August 2013, 08:41 PM
I merged the threads for you Ted.

Tim the Timber Turner
24th August 2013, 09:06 PM
To dry out the bladder after washing: pop out the tap with a screwdriver and peg out in the sun for 2 or 3 days.

The air can be excluded by holding the tap uppermost and cracking open, a gentle squeeze will do the job.

Before using, give the bladder a squeeze to mix in the solids.

Squeezing the bladder with my hand sort of reminds me of times past.

I just can't seem to remember what it was that it feels like:no:

But I know it feels good when I do it:;

Cheers

Tim:)

RETIRED
24th August 2013, 11:12 PM
Ex dairy farmers, they never forget how to milk a cow.:rolleyes::wink:

chuck1
25th August 2013, 10:09 AM
what about the photo solution containers they are concatenated to take the air out of plastic container!?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th August 2013, 02:50 PM
The big difference is that the bladders are clear plastic so there is no longer any risk of undetected water in the bladder and it is now easy to see if there is a build up of air in the bladder.

:2tsup: Thanks for the heads up!

Hmm... I wonder if I can get a refund on the fertiliser if I take it back to the store in a glass jar...? :innocent:

rsser
25th August 2013, 06:28 PM
Another option is to opt for a DO product that has no driers. Eg. Organoil - but it dries flat so if you want some sheen further work is needed.

Sceneys BLO is also worth a try.

smiife
25th August 2013, 08:06 PM
hi ted ,
great idea, i like that very much,did i miss
something how do you get the D.O. in!!!!!!!1
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Tim Creeper
25th August 2013, 10:43 PM
The big difference is that the bladders are clear plastic so there is no longer any risk of undetected water in the bladder and it is now easy to see if there is a build up of air in the bladder.The only thing I don't know is if there is any incompatability problem with the plastic used to manufacture the bladder and DO.Time will tell.

I wonder if it's worth passing this idea on to paint manufacturers? Anyone got any contacts?

turnerted
26th August 2013, 05:17 PM
Smiife To remove the outlet tap, just work round the edge of it with a screwdriver and you can pop it out. It just snaps back in after you have filled the bag.
Ted

smiife
26th August 2013, 08:47 PM
Smiife To remove the outlet tap, just work round the edge of it with a screwdriver and you can pop it out. It just snaps back in after you have filled the bag.
Ted

thanks ted,
i will have to get the missus a cask of plonk:U
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Tim the Timber Turner
26th August 2013, 09:16 PM
Ex dairy farmers, they never forget how to milk a cow.:rolleyes::wink:

I think you are close , but it wasn't a cow:roll::fisch:

Cheers

Tim

RedShirtGuy
26th August 2013, 09:26 PM
An interesting tip for paint tins (so dump your oil in a clean one) that I'm yet to try myself is to chuck it in a vacuum seal bag with the lid just resting over the can opening. As the air gets sucked out from around and, most importantly, inside the can, the lid gets pulled in and closes the can giving it a pretty much airless seal (at least compared to just belting the lid back on as normal).

It read like a pretty good idea anyway *shrug*

powderpost
26th August 2013, 09:36 PM
I think you are close , but it wasn't a cow:roll::fisch:

Cheers

Tim

A water filled balloon Tim????

Jim

Tim the Timber Turner
26th August 2013, 10:12 PM
A water filled balloon Tim????

Jim

Sort of like that Jim, but it's been a while so I could be getting confused with something else.:?

Cheers

Tim:)