PDA

View Full Version : CA glue for bowl finishing?

Evanism
25th August 2013, 12:39 AM
Here I sit, planning for tomorrows shed adventures.

A mate and I (Delbs) are going to give pens a crack...well, he's already a light year ahead!

I'm out of good finishes and ill be buggered if I'm going to use poly. I thought shellack, but wanted to give ubeaut a crack.

Then it dawned on me. Why aren't bowls finished in CA? Pens are turned to a mirror, twenty coats of CA then polished to death. Could not the same be done for a smallish bowl?

I'd imagine it would look pretty special. Are there any reasons against this?

delbs
25th August 2013, 01:48 AM
I'd like to know if it would be safe for food like fruit to sit in a bowl coated in CA, wonder if the food could absorb from it. I just some stuff from Ubueat that was labelled as food safe oil (not for turning for chopping board) but the fact it's labelled as food safe must mean others that aren't labelled means they're not safe?

I could be completely wayyyy off track here. Any other thoughts anyone?

PS I'm not light years ahead lol only practising at the moment. Still need to get more Ubueat finishes :)

Paul39
25th August 2013, 02:49 AM
I watched a guy do a demo making a bowl some years ago. He sanded to 400 put CA on a paper towel and put it on the bowl turning in the lathe. He had a nice slick finish in about a minute.

See: CA Glue (http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips/ca_glue/CA_Glue.html)

DaveTTC
25th August 2013, 09:00 AM
I'll follow this cause I'd like to know too

Scott
25th August 2013, 10:04 AM
I'd imagine it would look pretty special. Are there any reasons against this?

I can't see why not. You might go through a bit of CA in the process, depending on the size of the bowl and CA isn't cheap. As for it being food safe, I think that it'd be okay. CA is essentially plastic.

Paul39
25th August 2013, 10:17 AM
I'd like to know if it would be safe for food like fruit to sit in a bowl coated in CA, wonder if the food could absorb from it. I just some stuff from Ubueat that was labelled as food safe oil (not for turning for chopping board) but the fact it's labelled as food safe must mean others that aren't labelled means they're not safe?

Mineral oil from a pharmacy or chemists that is used as a laxative would be fine for salad bowls and cutting boards. Much cheaper than from the turning store.

CVS Mineral Oil Usp - CVS pharmacy (http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Mineral-Oil-Usp?skuId=152355)

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: Salad Bowl Finish (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=finish-behlen-sbf)

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: Odies Oil (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=finish-odies)

See also: Food Safe Finishes, Are They Really that Different? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com (http://voices.yahoo.com/food-safe-finishes-they-really-different-6309070.html)

Also flax seed oil is raw linseed oil by another name: Organic Flaxseed Oil 16 oz. | Nutritional Oils (http://www.puritan.com/nutritional-oils-068/organic-flaxseed-oil-006420?scid=26593&cmp=gpl-_-Nutritional%20Oils-_-006420&CAWELAID=1782917334&catargetid=1798093215&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=COWjlfObl7kCFQee4Aodp3gAgw)

CA glue is used for putting together cuts by doctors and for closing up by surgeons. Read the fine print on a bunch of CA packages and find some that does not say "not for human use", or words to that effect.

I would think that CA cured on a bowl would not be as bad for you as wet CA gluing a cut together.

dai sensei
25th August 2013, 11:13 AM
You can finish a bowl with CA, but hope your lathe can be turned down to a very low speed, it loves to come off while piece is spinning. Heat is also an issue for CA so sand and polish at low speeds too.

Plenty of other products that give a better finish with less effort for bowls. I have often used CA to stabilise the surface, but still use the other products for final finish.

Cheers

asheddie
25th August 2013, 04:29 PM
Has anyone finished a salt and pepper grinder with CA? I've been thinking of trying it.
Not sure about getting a smooth finish in the nooks and crannies though?

Mulgabill
25th August 2013, 04:59 PM
As for CA being safe on food items, ISTBC but I recall reading that CA becomes inert when cured and therefore non-toxic.

turnerted
25th August 2013, 05:21 PM
Guilio Marcolongo was finishing S&P grinders at Sydney WWW show with CA.
Although I use plenty of DO, I try to minumise my exposure to a pretty toxic substance. There are plenty of other products to use on bowls.
Ted

dai sensei
25th August 2013, 08:36 PM
Has anyone finished a salt and pepper grinder with CA? I've been thinking of trying it.
Not sure about getting a smooth finish in the nooks and crannies though?

Yep :U

mkypenturner
25th August 2013, 09:55 PM
we have Guilio Marcolongo demo at our club a few times and now for one of his quick and easy finishes he uses 1 coat of CA to seal the piece then EEE then GLOW it comes up a dream
and all finished on the lathe

TTIT
25th August 2013, 10:29 PM
we have Guilio Marcolongo demo at our club a few times and now for one of his quick and easy finishes he uses 1 coat of CA to seal the piece then EEE then GLOW it comes up a dream
and all finished on the latheWe had Guilio out here the weekend before last and made some small bowls from Sally Wattle which we all finished with the thin CA, EEE and Glow technique very successfully :2tsup: If you're following Guilio's motto of 'use it like it's someone elses', it's a very quick effective finish providing you can finish the whole piece or section of it on the lathe - not much good if you're going to carve or texture part of it later. I'll be using it where suitable in future for sure, foodsafe or not :U

artme
26th August 2013, 11:42 AM
I've been down this path. For me it has been an abject failure!!:C

Must have forgotten to hold the tongue in the right position!!!:rolleyes:

Paul39
26th August 2013, 12:05 PM
I've been down this path. For me it has been an abject failure!!:C

Must have forgotten to hold the tongue in the right position!!!:rolleyes:

By the second liter of CA you will have gotten the hang of it.

9:05 PM Sunday here, What day and time there?

DaveTTC
26th August 2013, 01:36 PM
It says you posted one hour ago on my app. At that time it would have been 11:35 am Monday.