PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a starting chuck set

ppofandt
5th September 2013, 02:00 AM
Heyas.

I've been making pens for a while but would really like to branch further into turning. Particularly Bowl and Platter turning.

For that I'll need chucks or a faceplate.

What would people recommend as a starting set? I've been looking at the GPW Gen3 GP100 set - simply because I was in the store buying pen parts, but I'm sure there are others.
Carbatec have a Teknatool chuck set. I'm sure Carolls has something too.

I have a Woodfast Mini lathe and a reasonable set of P&N tools.

Suggestions please?

ogato
5th September 2013, 09:58 AM
I've got a couple of GPW chucks - they work well and I think they are pretty good value
OJ

wood hacker
5th September 2013, 10:01 AM
+1 for the GPW set. I bought the deluxe set a couple of years ago and haven't regretted it for a moment.

Big Shed
5th September 2013, 10:42 AM
There is a GPW chuck set for sale in the Marketplace here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f275/gen-3-gpw-100-delux-chuck-set-175809/).

DSEL74
5th September 2013, 11:28 AM
There is a GPW chuck set for sale in the Marketplace here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f275/gen-3-gpw-100-delux-chuck-set-175809/).

Isn't he selling it at full retail price?? Only asking in case I am missing the difference in spec.

tore
5th September 2013, 12:18 PM
I have the titanium coated one and no complants, only thing make sure you don't loose the screws for the jaws, they are fiddly
and dust collectors eats them live
:B:B:B

Jim Carroll
5th September 2013, 01:18 PM
Vicmarc Chucks and accessories Australian made. (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-vicmarc-chucks-accessories)

The VM100 is all you will ever need

greyhound
5th September 2013, 07:30 PM
Vicmarc Chucks and accessories Australian made. (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-vicmarc-chucks-accessories)

The VM100 is all you will ever need
Yep the way to go top quality and a large range of additional jaws and accessories

steamjunkprops
5th September 2013, 07:33 PM
+gpw set, bought it with my lathe and it is a good solid chuck

ppofandt
6th September 2013, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the recommendations.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Vicmarc is a quality piece of gear.

But I'm not entirely sure just what I'll need and the GPW one includes just about all the jaw sizes I might need for about the same price.

I may lean that way I think. Plus GPW is just a bit down the road from my place - saves on postage.

corbs
6th September 2013, 10:52 PM
I started with a GPW one and then added a VM90 & VM120 when I could afford them. All get regular use.

nalmo
7th September 2013, 01:17 PM
I went down the same path as corbs. Started off with GPW set, was quite happy until there was wear on the gears (tips of gears had worn to a sharp point rather than rounded). Sent photos to GPW and they promptly sent new gears to me. I think mine were the old series - hopefully new series fixed this problem.
I then bought a VM100 which I am extremely happy with. My main reason for going with Vicmarc over the Teknatool was that the cost of additional jaws for VM was lower, meaning total cost of ownership would be less. I still use the GPW when I'm too lazy to change jaws, and it serves as a great second chuck.

chuck1
7th September 2013, 02:26 PM
I've got 4 teknatool chucks nova scroll, 3g and 2 of the old black ones, the last one I got off eBay for 82 dollars and never been used! just pace yourself you never know what will come up for sale!

Sturdee
7th September 2013, 04:54 PM
I still use the GPW when I'm too lazy to change jaws, and it serves as a great second chuck.

I'm always too lazy to change jaws, so I bought a second and a third and fourth , etc .......................... chucks. :U Most GPW, some Vermec's, a nova and even a H & F.

Peter.

KevM
7th September 2013, 05:26 PM
Isn't he selling it at full retail price?? Only asking in case I am missing the difference in spec.

New price (http://www.garypye.com/Chucks/GPW-Generation-3-Collet-and-Longworth-Chucks/Gen-3-GP100-Limited-Edition-Deluxe-Chuck-Set-p708.html) is $235.00 this is $185.00 and unused.

ppofandt
7th September 2013, 05:33 PM
New price (http://www.garypye.com/Chucks/GPW-Generation-3-Collet-and-Longworth-Chucks/Gen-3-GP100-Limited-Edition-Deluxe-Chuck-Set-p708.html) is $235.00 this is $185.00 and unused.

$235 for the "Limited Edition" set. The Deluxe set is what is pictured on the marketplace and sells for $215 new. I thought it was less myself. Could have sworn that when I checked it was around $185.

KevM
7th September 2013, 06:13 PM
$235 for the "Limited Edition" set. The Deluxe set is what is pictured on the marketplace and sells for $215 new. I thought it was less myself. Could have sworn that when I checked it was around $185.

I went back and checked, you are absolutely right:B, I missed the words "Limited Edition" in the chuck that I linked to, it should have been this one (http://www.garypye.com/Chucks/GPW-Generation-3-Collet-and-Longworth-Chucks/Gen-3-GPW100-Deluxe-Chuck-Set-p250.html) at $215.

ppofandt
7th September 2013, 08:28 PM
I went back and checked, you are absolutely right:B, I missed the words "Limited Edition" in the chuck that I linked to, it should have been this one (http://www.garypye.com/Chucks/GPW-Generation-3-Collet-and-Longworth-Chucks/Gen-3-GPW100-Deluxe-Chuck-Set-p250.html) at $215.

I had to double check myself. I saw "Deluxe" and assumed it was the more expensive set. But the photos didn't match what I remembered.
I still remember checking the first time this was mentioned and I'm sure the cheaper set was around $185 - but then I'm getting older and my memory is only a rough guide to what was past.

powderpost
16th September 2013, 09:35 PM
Hi Paul, If finances are stretched a bit, don't buy a chuck to turn bowls etc. There was a small face plate supplied with the lathe, Screw this to what will be the top of the bowl and turn the back with what ever size foot suits. Remove the face plate and fix a sacrificial block to the face plate and turn it to the same size and shape as the foot on the bowl. Glue the foot of the bowl to the sacrificial block and finish off the inside of the bowl. I have used this system for years and the advantages are that you control the size and proportions of the foot and save nearly two hundred dollars. The downside is that you have to wait at least an hour for the glue to set :) (depending what glue you use).
By the way I do use chucks too.
Jim

Paul39
17th September 2013, 03:26 AM
I agree with powderpost above. If you are hacking your bowl blanks out of timber off the side of the road, usually there is enough thickness to make a longer foot and screw directly into that. When you are finished use a parting tool to make a deep groove and then saw the bowl off the foot just above the screws.

Find some old 1960s & 70s turning books to learn all sorts of ways to save money and not have to buy all the new, wondrous, expensive, stuff available today.

Those old turners made beautiful stuff with single speed lathes - some foot powered, carbon steel tools, and faceplates.

DonIncognito
17th September 2013, 03:29 PM
The downside is that you have to wait at least an hour for the glue to set :) (depending what glue you use).
Jim

Pretty sure normal hot glue guns set faster than that, dont they?

powderpost
17th September 2013, 10:46 PM
Pretty sure normal hot glue guns set faster than that, dont they?
Yes they do. I did state that it depends on the type of glue used, as to long it takes to set. Some glues take a lot longer than one hour too. I forgot to add, use a hand saw to cut the bowl from the sacrificial block. If you use a parting tool, the bowl could be difficult to catch.
Jim

artful bodger
1st October 2013, 07:14 PM
I'm basically in agreeance with powderpost here however if you turn the foot of the bowl perfectly square you can use the same method without using glue at all.You just have to make sure the hole you turn in the sacrificial block is also square and exactly the right size which is quite easy if you use a set of calipers to mark the diameter.When the foot of the bowl feels like it will almost but not quite fit into the turned hole you can smack it in with a hammer. After the bowl is turned you can gently prise it off again with a sturdy chisel or similar. This method works well for bowls of all sizes. If you turn the hole slightly bigger than you meant to you can sometimes save the situation by sandwiching a sheet of paper between the surfaces. The advantage of going this way is that there is no glue to clean up off the turning and no need to wait for it (glue) to dry.
Thats my two bobs worth anyway.

Christos
1st October 2013, 09:13 PM
Are you still looking as Carbatec have a sale.

TeknatoolŪ SuperNova2 Key Operated Chuck : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/teknatool-supernova2-key-operated-chuck_c19355)

ppofandt
1st October 2013, 09:34 PM
Ya. Been eyeing that chuck off.

Thinking about it anyway. My time is fairly limited these days. I work for 7 days on and the 7 off I'm usually too tired to do much. My shed is going to be getting really hot in the next few months too so not so much turning for the next few months.

rsser
2nd October 2013, 12:00 PM
In the product review section I posted a review of the GPW Gen 3 110 some time ago. Then, the jaw quality was poor (and that may have changed) but it takes VM100 jaws with the holes drilled out by a mm. I fitted VM shark jaws to it and it gets the most use out of my kit of 4 chucks.

IMO VM do excellent dovetail jaws. They're accurately machined. IMO the first question to ask is what are the best jaws to mount the pieces I want to turn?

That aside, most complete chuck sets come with a woodworm screw and that can be an effective way of doing the first mount. But Richard Raffan advises knocking up a washer out of plywood or similar to improve the hold.

That's the way I started out on bowls but the drilling gave me the irrits so I now use faceplate rings. Means several pieces can be on the go at the same time with accurate remounts.

If your criteria are to cry once and get a reliable unit that works straight out of the box, I'm with Jim: go VM100. It will see you into the grave. Failing that, it will always sell readily 2nd hand.

HTH.