PDA

View Full Version : Gmc Ml1000

gazaly
23rd May 2005, 01:43 PM
Hi all,

I'm am wanting to try a bit of turning and haven't done any since I was at school 20 years ago.

I have the opportunity to purchase a GMC ML1000 for $69.00 (Bunnings on special) with a bit more for a set of chisels.

My question is, as a complete novice, who only wants to practice and produce small pieces at the moment, is this worthwhile purchase?

Thanks in advance.

smidsy
23rd May 2005, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the forum.
THe GMC lathe is a peice of junk and at $69 is about $68.95 over priced.
Use the search function on this forum and you'll see that more than one person has asked this same question about the GMC lathe - I asked it about a year ago.
The standard for entry level lathes is a beast called an MC900 which will set you back around $370 plus around $90 for a cheap but good set of chisels - do a search on the MC900 as well and you'll see why it is the standard.

If you want to try turning and not spend big bucks before you know if it's going to be a long term interest your best bet is a turning club where you can use equipment and get instruction.
Liddlow crafts group in Kenwick is a great place, they have a range of equipment and some great instructors - check your private messages, I've just sent you contact details for Liddlelow.

Cheers
Paul

gazaly
23rd May 2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks Smidy