PDA

View Full Version : Any turners feel like a project?

seriph1
10th September 2013, 12:15 AM
Hi folks - I would love to make a pair of vanity frames in timber, that are inspired by the images below...

Redgum would be my first choice and would look stunning I believe, but Myrtle or some high-figure timber would be great too - I reckon a pair would be brilliant for our place in Kilmore, Victoria. Maybe even one in RG and one in Huon!

Anyway, I am wondering if any gifted turner might be interested in taking a look at the project and working with me to bring it to life. The 'spike-feet' would need to be different in scale as they wouldn't be strong enough in timber - and they would need to be around 25mm longer as I would house them into the floor so they withstand knocks.

I would buy suitable vanity basins first to ensure they fit - I already have 4 sets of those taps

http://st.houzz.com/simgs/b8316619011179d5_4-9801/traditional-bathroom-sinks.jpg http://www.herbeau.com/032020&032270.jpg

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone who'd like to discuss it further. Timeframe is very flexible

thanks

jarradds123
11th September 2013, 10:19 AM
Hi

I would recommend posting this in the wood turning section. There should be someone there who can assist.

Cheers

Sturdee
11th September 2013, 12:51 PM
, our friendly axe weilding mongrel, would be my choice for that kind of work. After all spindle turning is his specialty. Why don't you send him a pm.

Peter.

pommyphil
11th September 2013, 06:58 PM
Nice little job for somone, Forest oak would look great

ticklingmedusa
12th September 2013, 08:53 AM
<tbody>
<center> http://martel.public.netc.net/lavabo_erableA.jpg </center>
http://martel.public.netc.net/Lavabo_erableB.jpg

</tbody>

Bird's eye white oak, Bird's eye black walnut, Spalted silver maple, Manitoba maple, Poplar, Willow, Elm, Cherry. ± 25 roughed-out washbasins and/or sink/vanity, 14"- 39" diam. are waiting for their final shape.

Martel washbasins 'bathroom sinks'

The washbasins are made of various species of Québec wood. A washbasin is crafted through several operations performed in stages over a period of one year.
The wood is first selected in the forest, then harvested, loped and pruned by hand, and transported manually to the warehousing facility. Manual handling of the wood throughout the harvesting operations is the only method to preserve the natural border of the wood.
The piece of wood is then cut up along the curve of the natural border and mounted on a lathe to be rough-hewed into a preliminary shape. It will remain in this form for the initial drying period, leaving enough material to fashion the final shape at the time of assembly. The washbasin is then waxed to slow the original drying process (± 9 months) and prevent splintering. The wood will twist and contort during the drying stage and will require to be turned anew before final drying.
But for now, the object awaits its new owner who will select it for its color and wood grain, its size and potential shape. The final plan for assembly is determined by the style selected by the new owner - conventional bowl, washbasin or sink/vanity. For instance, the washbasin can be installed on a base of stainless steel, wrought iron or wood. The larger sinks with borders are best suited for "expressive" presentations.

Given the multiple possibilities for mounting styles, it is natural that the final styling takes place after the unit is sold in order to suit individual tastes. In other words, the washbasin is conditioned by the final shape of the bottom part, which remains variable until the very final step.

Taps may be mounted on the border of the washbasin itself, on the vanity surface or to the wall, depending on individual preferences. Plumbing process itself is standard.
The washbasins are treated with 10 coats of highly resilient epoxy for a perfect seal and longevity. The Martel washbasins bear a 2-year warranty against any fabrication defect or alteration under normal use, and can also easily be repaired by us in the case of some unusual accident.

I would be happy to greet you in my workshop and take you through a selection of washbasins of different sizes and shapes, awaiting your styling preferences. Let's make an appointment.

Sturdee
12th September 2013, 10:27 AM
I would be happy to greet you in my workshop and take you through a selection of washbasins of different sizes and shapes, awaiting your styling preferences. Let's make an appointment.

Yes it's only a short trip from Kilmore, Australia to Southern California, USA . :U

Btw the yellow is impossible to read comfortably :( , suggest you amend it to the normal font, size and colour.

Peter.

Big Shed
12th September 2013, 10:39 AM
Yes it's only a short trip from Kilmore, Australia to Southern California, USA . :U

Btw the yellow is impossible to read comfortably :( , suggest you amend it to the normal font, size and colour.

Peter.

Peter, the font size and colour has been changed to conform to forum standard as per forum rules.

The reply has so little to do with the OPs original request that I was tempted to delete it:doh:

ian thorn
12th September 2013, 12:16 PM
yes his comment I would have considered as spam. the only thing I would add to the thread is to use good straight grain wood.

Ian