PDA

View Full Version : Lubricant for thicknesser bed??

Dennis Hill
13th December 2002, 06:36 AM
I have a Rexon thicknesser with a stainless steel "bed" that the timber slides over as it gets pulled through below the blades.
What is the best lubricant/slipery stuff to put on that plate so that the timber will slide a little easier?
I thought of car polish, but then there is most probably silicone in that.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Hilly.

AlexS
13th December 2002, 07:33 AM
A squiggle of candle wax on the infeed & outfeed works well.

ubeaut
13th December 2002, 07:59 AM
Yup. Listen to Alex that's the best way to fly. However make sure it is a white candle that you get in a pack fron the supermarket not one of these fancy things from the Sunday market or local craft shop and definitely not beeswax, it's too sticky.

A good alternative is a small block of paraffin wax from the supermarket. Sold for melting on to the top of home made jam as a sealer.

Tim the Timber Turner
13th December 2002, 08:47 AM
Dennis Hi!

Based on my experience from members of this BB the number one rule in all of this must be, never ever own up to the fact that you even thought about using extra slippery stuff that you sometimes get in car polish. I don't want to name the stuff in case I upset everyone again.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Tim

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't give a stuff so I don't turn at all.

Eastie
13th December 2002, 10:45 AM
He'd probably be contaminated with you know what.

Tim the Timber Turner
13th December 2002, 05:47 PM
Come on you guys. This is not the Christmas spirit.

Just because I don't agree with your silly little misconceptions about "you know what" you don't have to get upset and start calling me names.

All I need now is for to start picking on me and I will hide under the bench and have a little sulk.

If you don't start being nice to me I will visit your workshop in the dark of night and give it a big squirt of "you know what".

Anyway cheers and have a Merry Silicon Christmas. (opps it just slipped out, but then it is very slippery).

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't give a stuff so I don't turn at all.

KevM
13th December 2002, 11:27 PM
Hi Dennis,
Just to try and get back to your question, after the rest of the rabble have attempted to hijack the topic. I use silver glide, made in Europe under another name, costs around $20.00 and will not "contaminate" your timber. This is one item specifically made for the purpose of assisting timber to move smoothly. Once you've tried it you'll love it.

regards

Kev

Dennis Hill
14th December 2002, 05:38 AM
Yeah, stop pikin on Tim!
if we rendered him down then we would have to find someone else to pick on. You lot would most probably start on me.
I still reckon sillycone has a place in the world- look what it did for little Pammy Anderson, et al.
On a more trivial note, mutton fat used to be the prefered lubricant for hand forged nails when they were the in thing and you could get hung for pinching jumbucks. too gooey for planers though.
Merrrry Chrissy to all and a safe new year.
Hilly.

Iain
14th December 2002, 08:57 AM
Et al, didn't she win the El Queda beauty contest? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

ijig
14th December 2002, 11:56 PM
I use Johnson's Paste Floor wax. I assume you can get it over there!

Dennis Hill
15th December 2002, 06:02 AM
Arrr, now that be a good idea! As long as I do not have to polish the floor as well!
Thanks,and merry Chrissy.
Hilly

Stuart
16th December 2002, 12:55 PM
How about using some silicon?

(Ducking for cover!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Flame proof suit - check
Fire retardant underwear - check
Fire extinguisher - check
Elvis booked and currently located overhead - check

Think I'm ready.

Tim the Timber Turner
16th December 2002, 01:36 PM
ONYA STEWEY

Give em heaps.

------------------

trevorZ
16th December 2002, 09:10 PM
try baby powder,smooth as a baby's bottom

John Saxton
16th December 2002, 09:31 PM
Question? What is the make-up of Silerglide?
What are the element/component that make this product usable in the w/shop?
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Dennis Hill
18th December 2002, 05:58 AM
I must live somewhere diferent to most people. Whatdeheck is silverglide?

RETIRED
18th December 2002, 07:52 PM
Gooday.

I don't know the composition of Seibergleitz (Silverglide) or as it is known around our place Slippery **** but I know that a lot of people would like to know.

It is great stuff for any surface that has to have timber slide across it. Works exceptionally well on saw tables, jointers and planers. Works on wooden surfaces as well provided that you lacquer it first e.g Radial arm benches.

It does not interfere with any surface finish but can leave a silver residue which can be sanded off.

It is available through most tool and machinery retailers. Woodman group have it as does Carbatec.

Small tip: in hot weather keep it in the fridge, it melts badly.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

soundman
19th December 2002, 12:53 AM
Here here to baby powder have used it for years draging cables thru conduits. Unbeatable & clean.

Tried it on my saw bench jigs great. needs re-applying but it also carries muck off with it.

The poofy smell is a bit oa a worry???

Dennis Hill
19th December 2002, 06:20 AM
Nowden,
if we mix some talc powder with some floor wax what do we end up with?
thanks gentlemen, I shal now experiment with your recomendations and leave that slippppry sillygoo for the car (and little Pammy A).
Merry SantaTime from Hilly

chadtoolio
30th December 2002, 01:15 PM
I've gotta think that the silverglide stuff you guys are talking about is very good, but leaves behind a silver residue...

There is something that is sold in the states that works wonders, it is called "topcote" and is made specifically for this purpose.. Here is a link to the page at Highland hardware.
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/product.asp?3=1315

HTH,

Chad

------------------
http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/makeover/166/

ijig
5th January 2003, 02:25 AM
I use Johnson's paste wax. Don't know if you can get it over there. If you can't let me know. It is a floor wax.