PDA

View Full Version : Same old, same old . . . . . for a different reason!

TTIT
18th September 2013, 10:28 PM
A lady in New York asked me if I could make her something from Sandalwood so she could enjoy the aroma but I explained that the smell disappears in no time and suggested she try False Sandalwood instead. She sent me a pic of a little China pot/box so I made something similar (pic 1 & 2) and sent it off - - she couldn't have been happier with it and the smell will still be there each time she lifts the lid for years to come cos' I left the walls about 8mm thick.
Next thing she want as many other nice smelling timbers as I can offer but the only Aussie one I could come up with was Huon and made the other two from Camphor and Indian Cedar (pic 3) - not sure how long the cedar will keep exuding it's aroma but the other two should go for years. One very happy customer!!! :U (and vendor :;)
All were just burnished inside so as not to block the aroma and the outsides were burnished and given just one coat of Kunos.

dai sensei
18th September 2013, 10:43 PM
Looking good :2tsup:

There are other smelly ones, but no other good ones that I recall that last.

Mobyturns
19th September 2013, 12:26 AM
:2tsup: Red cedar should hold for quite a while

hughie
19th September 2013, 12:57 AM
A good looking trio there Vern I especially like the feet design. :2tsup:

Christos
19th September 2013, 01:25 AM
The Sandalwood one strikes me.

pommyphil
19th September 2013, 07:23 AM
Rosewood keeps the smell but could get sticky inside.

Uncle Al
19th September 2013, 07:28 AM
I love the smell of Coachwood. Reminds me of the school furniture back in the 50's and 60's, they must have consumed a vast amount of this timber for school furniture.
Love the shape of your lidded boxes, very inspirational.

Alan...

Drillit
19th September 2013, 08:36 AM
Hello TTIT,
If you sent her one made from Merbau with a smell akin to dog poop, she would never comeback, eh.
Just a thought. :D Drilllit.

Sawdust Maker
19th September 2013, 09:26 AM
Noice

even though not aussie you could suggest maybe camphor laurel

bassmansimon
19th September 2013, 10:44 AM
beautiful design. I love the little feet.

smiife
19th September 2013, 08:17 PM
hi ttit,
very nice little pots there mate,:cool:
i like the grain on the first one
well done:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

TTIT
19th September 2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the comments guys - much appreciated :U

Rosewood keeps the smell but could get sticky inside.You must have better Rosewood than me :C - love the smell while I'm working it but I find it fades away after just a few days.

I love the smell of Coachwood. Reminds me of the school furniture back in the 50's and 60's, they must have consumed a vast amount of this timber for school furniture.
Love the shape of your lidded boxes, very inspirational.

Alan...I've only ever had enough Coachwood to make an egg for the collection and did enjoy the smell. Does it keep giving off the smell for long???

Noice

even though not aussie you could suggest maybe camphor laurelThe one on the right Nick :;

Sawdust Maker
19th September 2013, 11:24 PM
OK so I'm a pretty poor proof reader and my attention to detail has slipped :doh:

Uncle Al
20th September 2013, 08:34 AM
"I've only ever had enough Coachwood to make an egg for the collection and did enjoy the smell. Does it keep giving off the smell for long???"

I am pretty good at identifying wooden objects made from Coachwood, as long as some of the raw timber is still exposed, regardless of the age of the item.
It is lovely to turn and plane. It isn't very common these days, and was used extensively in plywood, especially marine grade in the 60's and 70's.

Alan...

mkypenturner
20th September 2013, 08:20 PM
even cypress would be nice

Mobyturns
20th September 2013, 10:20 PM
Vern, how long does Conkerberry retain the smell?

TTIT
20th September 2013, 10:52 PM
Vern, how long does Conkerberry retain the smell?Like so many others - a few seconds! :C They pretty much only smell while you're working them. If I could bottle the smell of Yarran, Myall, Miljee and Inland Rosewood I'd be a happy man :U

Mobyturns
20th September 2013, 11:09 PM
Like so many others - a few seconds! :C They pretty much only smell while you're working them. If I could bottle the smell of Yarran, Myall, Miljee and Inland Rosewood I'd be a happy man :U

You could "enhance" the timbers and send them the bottle of the woods essential oil to go with the nice lidded boxes. :D

Toymaker Len
21st September 2013, 12:58 AM
Wonderful little pots. How about weeping myall with its sweet vanilla smell which lasts quite a while ?