PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Up A Burl

Paul39
20th September 2013, 11:38 AM
I have a Burl about 12 inches X 16 inches that I want to cut to make 2 or 3 pieces for bowls and a platter.

In the diagram the cut face is on the left and the burl grew to the right. Is it better for strength, figure, and any other considerations to cut along the red lines or along the blue lines?

corbs
20th September 2013, 12:25 PM
I guess it depends on the capability of your equipment. Personally I'd be cutting on the red lines if possible as it looks like it would yield more useable blanks. If cutting on the blue lines you will probably use more wood getting a uniform thickness. This opinion is based purely on the picture. Noting it's a burl, I don't think either cut is going to give more strength due to the irregular grain in burls. You won't know figure until you're inside it as well but again, as it's a burl I don't think either cut will make much of a difference.

Paul39
20th September 2013, 12:34 PM
Corbs,

My inclination is to cut on the red lines as it will give me more pieces, and as the section is almost round, less waste.

Equipment will be freshly sharpened chain saw, as I don't have a band saw big enough. I have also used a reciprocating saw (Milwaukee Sawzall) and a pruning blade to get as much as possible, then finished with a bow saw, when I wanted the thinnest saw cut possible

Thanks.

dai sensei
20th September 2013, 12:35 PM
If you are sure it is solid, then red would be better, but if there is a chance there is a hollow then blue. Good luck with it, and don't forget photos :rolleyes:

torchwood
20th September 2013, 12:37 PM
Why not do a whole one like I'm going to do with this one Paul?286115286116286117

hughie
20th September 2013, 02:04 PM
I guess it depends what you wan to turn from it. But I would cut along the red first then have look at it and then decide the next step. Its a bit of judgement call either way you go Paul, I'm sure which ever way you go it'll work.

Tony Morton
20th September 2013, 09:22 PM
Hi paul
Looks more like a cap than a burl the hollow is the remainder of a dead branch, but you will still get some good grain. My suggestion is cut off the right hand side and check for soundness in next layer if the hole is evident cut small blanks around the diameter..
cheers Tony