PDA

View Full Version : 150mm Jointer

dmartin
2nd January 2003, 02:11 PM
I am looking to purchase a 150mm Jointer for hobby type work. Has anyone comments about Magno or WMS jointers. I have $700 to spend and located in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Iain
2nd January 2003, 03:07 PM
Grab your readies and head to Elwood Machinery in Kilsyth.
It is a wholesaler who is winding up and he has a 6" jointer for about $400.00.
This is a wholesale price and probably co,mparable to any $600-800 machines on the market.
I bought one just recently and pleased with the results.
I also bought a DC and 12 1/2" planer from the same bloke.
Tel 9761 8087 or 0412 224141.
With the change you can buy some more gear http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
: http://community.webshots.com/user/iain49

Mick4412
2nd January 2003, 09:45 PM
Iain,
If I'm right, that's the guy who has been " winding up" for at least 6 months. I went out there on your earlier advice. His machines are ( apart from the "colour" or name brand) are exactly what I bought - paying some extra dollars and some more from Carba-tec. Only to have the comfort of a place to go , should I have a problem.

My estimate is 20% saving - BUT don't know what you do if you have a problem down the track
mick

Iain
3rd January 2003, 06:36 AM
I have found most parts are interchangeable and with a jointer the only replacable parts are the belt and blades which are available anywhere.
As for his winding up process, he no longer trades in machinery and when it is all gone, he's finished with it.
He now has a factory in St Kilda and manufactures ice cream.
My 12 1/2" planer is not the same as the Carbatec model and I think it is more robust and I calculated the saving at closer to 40% compared to what others were offering.
Granted, some items are not that cheap but I thought the planer and jointer saved me a reasonable amount.
He has a tablesaw out there, I had a look at it and thought it was absolute rubbish but some other items are of far superior quality.

dmartin
6th January 2003, 01:10 PM
Thanks Guys for your help. I went up there on the weekend outlayed $430.00 and now have a new toy to play with.

------------------
Regards
D.Martin