get the hang of very quickly,
i know there are a lot of gimmick tools that promise
to do this and that,and a lot of new ideas that don't
always perform or are very difficult to master,i think we all
have them in our collection,
i just wanted to let others know how pleased i was
with this tool,it's quick and easy to use,and does what
it is supposed to do!!!!!!!!!!
anyone else have one and what do you think of it ??
no connection with vermec but i will certainly look at
more of there tools, very well made and aussie too:2tsup::2tsup:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Sturdee
24th September 2013, 09:06 PM
anyone else have one and what do you think of it ??

I have one, bought last year at the WWW Show. I think it's a wonderful tool, does indeed do what it claims and best of all you can cut on the "wrong side" as the tool is fully held by the toolgate.

Peter.

Sawdust Maker
24th September 2013, 09:43 PM
I received one for my 58th but unfortunately have to move the lathe to a new position to be able to use it :doh:

I'm planning on doing that after the school holidays ...

But I'm pleased that it has been found to be a joy to use

PS everything else I've got from Enzo I've been very happy with (and no, no connection)

Ilya
25th September 2013, 04:05 AM
Hi Smiife,

Good to see that it works so well for you! Are there any tricks using it? I have seen how smoothly it can work on youtube, but I tried it a couple of times, and it seems that I have to be very careful and slow with it, otherwise it catches. The hight is set so that the cutting edge is on the axis of the turning timber. Is this how you set yours?

thank you,
ilya

Sawdust Maker
25th September 2013, 09:11 AM
Oh

and happy birthday!

Sturdee
25th September 2013, 11:30 AM
Hi Smiife,

Good to see that it works so well for you! Are there any tricks using it? I have seen how smoothly it can work on youtube, but I tried it a couple of times, and it seems that I have to be very careful and slow with it, otherwise it catches. The hight is set so that the cutting edge is on the axis of the turning timber. Is this how you set yours?

thank you,
ilya

The cutting edge has to be exactly on the axis as you said but they provide a sleeve so that once set to your lathe it can be quickly replaced when you want to use it.

I drill a 25 mm hole the depth that I want to go to first and for that I bought a 25 mm long auger bit from Brendan Stemp which, although he uses it for his pepper grinders, is ideal for this. Just make a small 25 mm starter hole with a spade bit first.

Then work from the bottom out to the opening with the small cutter, followed with the larger smoother cutter and finally with their sanding attachment.

Most turning tool work is done on the near downward side so that you don't have catches and the tool ripped from you but as the tool is totally enclosed by the gate system you can turn the cutting bit upside down and work on the upside. This makes it easy to see what you are doing without leaning over the lathe bed. Just make sure that the height is adjusted for that.

So I find it is easy to use, never had a catch with it and like all Vermec products very well made which will give a lifetime of trouble free use.

Peter.

Ilya
25th September 2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks, Peter - will give it another go soon.

smiife
25th September 2013, 08:50 PM
The cutting edge has to be exactly on the axis as you said but they provide a sleeve so that once set to your lathe it can be quickly replaced when you want to use it.

I drill a 25 mm hole the depth that I want to go to first and for that I bought a 25 mm long auger bit from Brendan Stemp which, although he uses it for his pepper grinders, is ideal for this. Just make a small 25 mm starter hole with a spade bit first.

Then work from the bottom out to the opening with the small cutter, followed with the larger smoother cutter and finally with their sanding attachment.

Most turning tool work is done on the near downward side so that you don't have catches and the tool ripped from you but as the tool is totally enclosed by the gate system you can turn the cutting bit upside down and work on the upside. This makes it easy to see what you are doing without leaning over the lathe bed. Just make sure that the height is adjusted for that.

So I find it is easy to use, never had a catch with it and like all Vermec products very well made which will give a lifetime of trouble free use.

Peter.

thanks peter,
a very good explanation:brava:brava,that is the way i used it too!!!
i did have a slight catch ,but i was going at it a bit hard,so softly ,softly approach
is the way to go
peter where did you get the sanding attachment????

Sturdee
25th September 2013, 09:26 PM
thanks peter,

peter where did you get the sanding attachment????

I got it from Vermec and it's called the Ultimate Sanding Head (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/Ulitmate_Sanding_Head.pdf)

When I bought mine at the show Enzo threw it in as a sweetener at the show :2tsup: and it really works well. Based on that idea I made a few long handled sanding corner and bottom blocks for ordinary inside box and vases sanding.

Peter.

Sawdust Maker
27th September 2013, 10:38 AM
I got it from Vermec and it's called the Ultimate Sanding Head (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/Ulitmate_Sanding_Head.pdf)

When I bought mine at the show Enzo threw it in as a sweetener at the show :2tsup: and it really works well. Based on that idea I made a few long handled sanding corner and bottom blocks for ordinary inside box and vases sanding.

Peter.

'
Peter

Have you got a piccy of the ones you made? or are they on here somewhere?

Sturdee
27th September 2013, 07:51 PM
'
Peter

Have you got a piccy of the ones you made? or are they on here somewhere?

I've taken some photos of them and rather then hijacking this thread I'll start a new thread tomorrow on the sanding/polishing tools I've made.

Peter.

Sturdee
28th September 2013, 10:58 PM
I've taken some photos of them and rather then hijacking this thread I'll start a new thread tomorrow on the sanding/polishing tools I've made.

Peter.

I've started a new thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/my-long-handled-sanding-polishing-tools-177136/#post1701638) with details here.

Peter.

Willy Nelson
28th September 2013, 11:58 PM
I reckon every thing Enzo makes at Vermec is over engineered and designed to last a long time, great stuff they are
Willy

smiife
30th September 2013, 08:50 PM
I reckon every thing Enzo makes at Vermec is over engineered and designed to last a long time, great stuff they are
Willy

hi willy ,yeah i would agree with your comments mate
had another play on the weekend and can not fault it:2tsup:
i am certainly a very happy turner now :;