PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the Biff

silentC
26th May 2005, 12:29 PM
One of the things that seems to go hand in hand with contact sports is the occasional bit of on-field violence. It's pretty much understood that what goes on during the game stays on the field and perpetrators often have good relationships off-field. You might say it's part of the game, or you might say it has no place in it.

A lot of what happens would probably be justifiably prosecuted as assault if it went on anywhere else. But then if you tackled someone in the street, that would not be considered acceptable either. Is there a line, or is it anything goes? Can the 'biff' be taken out of the game without detracting from it? Was it better in the old days?

craigb
26th May 2005, 12:47 PM
Well while I don't mind watching a bit of biiff on the sports shown on TV, I think the problem with it is it encourages the kiddies to emulate their heroes when they are playing for their school team or whatever.

I don't think it's a good thing for kids to be indulging in.

Iain
26th May 2005, 12:58 PM
I'm tempted with craphead committee organisers at horse events who wouldn't know if their ***** were on fire and bugger up my daughters future in state representation because they are too bloody stupid to read the rules of penalties in eventing.
This may indicate I am having a dummy spit, correct I am, I got a three line explanation as to why she has been eliminated, they got a 20 page detailed response telling them why I KNOW they are *********.I also suggested that they learn to read and write before making rash decisions, went down a treat and I don't give a stuff, threatened me with legal action, go for it, I've spent more time in court in a month than these ******** would have in a lifetime, picked the wrong bunny this time.
Rant off.

DanP
26th May 2005, 10:47 PM
What I find amusing is that if you slap someone in the face you get a week but if you've got some jumper in your hand you can punch em as hard and as often as you like. :rolleyes:

namtrak
27th May 2005, 08:39 AM
As a pretty poor rugby player I always enjoyed a bit of biff, and I know the 10 spectators and dog that were watching also got into a heightened state of excitement. I think that also went for the other players as it created an extra tension within the game - more to play for if you like. However, most players would go ballistic if there was abnormally dirty play - the king hit was the most despised action along with a boot to the head.

At the end of the day I love a bit of biff, along with car crashes in races and cricketers getting hit in the kids - I mean how you can you not giggle when Pigeon loads one into an opening batsmans frank n' beans.

GO THE BIFF SON!!!

Zed
27th May 2005, 09:02 AM
how can you have a festival of the boot without extending the fist of friendship ? its like meat pies and tomato sauce...

DanP
27th May 2005, 12:31 PM
I mean how you can you not giggle when Pigeon loads one into an opening batsmans frank n' beans.

Yeah, but it's a nervous giggle.

Grunt
27th May 2005, 09:19 PM
I don't think there is a place for violence in sport. If violence is tollerated at the highest level then it'll will follow in the lower levels. How many of you with teenage children want to spend a Saturday night in an ER waiting for their broken jaw or nose to be reset because some clown thinks it is acceptable to smack them in the face instead of concentrating on playing sport?

Harry72
27th May 2005, 10:07 PM
If want biff in your sport support boxing... the real biff sport!