PDA

View Full Version : Salt Shaker/Pepper Grinder Combo

brendan stemp
1st October 2013, 06:31 PM
There's a bit of long story to this one, but the short version is that a friend of mine asked me to make a salt shaker combined with a pepper grinder. Well, I had the mechanism for it (which was a different style of Crushgrind) but a few of the technical issues proved problematic. My initial thoughts about the internal design involved threads but I didn't want to go down that road. It all came together eventually, the result of a long incubation period and this is the result. It was my first effort so the design has had no chance to be refined, but after another attempt at just doing a grinder using this style of mechanism I knew I had to be careful not to make it look like something else.

Christos
1st October 2013, 06:43 PM
Great work Brendan. What is the wood you are using?

turnerted
2nd October 2013, 05:08 PM
Interesting concept Brenden.I presume you get the pepper in where the separation is.but how do you get the salt in?
I have a combo design but it uses a traditional grinding mechanism.
Ted

brendan stemp
3rd October 2013, 03:56 PM
This shows the bottom view of the salt section. I used a commercially availble plug designed for this purpose (this one was from CWS).

brendan stemp
3rd October 2013, 03:58 PM
Great work Brendan. What is the wood you are using?

Thanks Christos. 'Tis made from good old red gum.

artme
4th October 2013, 05:48 PM
Mmmmm, interesting. Beautifully turned an finished Brendan!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: