PDA

View Full Version : How suitable

Flathed
2nd October 2013, 09:17 PM
Hi there,as a relative newcomer to the lathe I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether Illawarra Flame is suitable for turning.I have access to a freshly felled tree but dont want to store a lot of timber if it doesnt keep successfully or dry evenly.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

TTIT
2nd October 2013, 11:11 PM
Being in the Brachychiton family I'm guessing it is similar to Kurrajong so I wouldn't bother personally :no: - you can make stuff out of it but the mould is shocking and it's not nice to turn - too furry! Being an ex-Macksvillian myself I know there's plenty of better timber to be had in the area - even Camphor Laurel if you don't mind the fumes! :;

Willy Nelson
3rd October 2013, 01:20 AM
I also seem to recall that it smells like dog poo when you are turning it, could be mistaken, was a long time ago.
Willy

Flathed
3rd October 2013, 09:13 PM
I also seem to recall that it smells like dog poo when you are turning it, could be mistaken, was a long time ago.
Willy
Thanks gives me something to look forward to if I get some.

Flathed
3rd October 2013, 09:19 PM
Being in the Brachychiton family I'm guessing it is similar to Kurrajong so I wouldn't bother personally :no: - you can make stuff out of it but the mould is shocking and it's not nice to turn - too furry! Being an ex-Macksvillian myself I know there's plenty of better timber to be had in the area - even Camphor Laurel if you don't mind the fumes! :;
Thankyou for the info.Yes I have access to heaps of Camphor Laurel round here and have had reasonable success with it so far .There is also the problem that I havent mastered the razor sharp edge needed for furry timber :((

greyhound
4th October 2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks gives me something to look forward to if I get some.
I can supply you with some have 2dogs

artme
4th October 2013, 05:58 PM
Don't bother with the flame tree. Too fibrous.

Yep, plenty of camphor around Macksville, even more if you are
game to venture to my old stamping ground of Bowraville!

smiife
7th October 2013, 07:25 PM
hi flathed,
any free wood is good wood,just use it for oddjobs
practice etc......if you don't want it send it to me:U:U
cheers smiife:2tsup: