PDA

View Full Version : 2 things I've done.

issatree
3rd October 2013, 09:42 PM
Hi All,
Well for the 4th. time I sharpened my Band Saw Blade 2375mm. long x 3/8th.wide x 6TPI. Getting a little quicker, as today it took me 16mins.
Doing this my way is only good enough for just cutting wood, not for cutting veneer.

The 2nd. one is, at a recent Woodturners get together, one of our Turners came up with an idea of using a Hair Dryer to clean off the Lathe, when ever. Works a treat.
He could have got it from someone else, I don't know.
So to the Sunday Market, looking for a H/D, 2nd. hand of course.
Spied one on a stand, but was a new one $8, thank you very much.
Try it, as it really works.

Tony Morton
3rd October 2013, 10:03 PM
Hi Isatree
disconnect the element first or you could have a fire with dust sucked in onto the hot element.

Cheers Tony

issatree
4th October 2013, 06:21 PM
Hi Tony,
Thank you for your concerned Reply.
The Hair Dryer has a Hot, Medium & Cold.
So, of course I only use the Cold Air one.
Also has a Fast & Slow Speed, & most times that I have used it, slow was good enough.

powderpost
4th October 2013, 09:44 PM
Hi All,
Well for the 4th. time I sharpened my Band Saw Blade 2375mm. long x 3/8th.wide x 6TPI. Getting a little quicker, as today it took me 16mins.
Doing this my way is only good enough for just cutting wood, not for cutting veneer.
G'day Issatree, for the past three years I have sharpened my bandsaw blade by immersing them in vinegar for 48 hours. Some I have done four times. The down side is they do get thinner and but weld on butt welded blades does get eaten away. You might recall, I was chasing some ribbon silver solder some time back. The up side is the cost and you can get on with something more amenable.
I have been sharpening worn files this way as well.
Jim

brendan stemp
4th October 2013, 09:48 PM
G'day Lewis Could you let us know how you sharpen the B/S blades. What do you use? I have so many blunt blades hanging up and my efforts to sharpen them have only been OK.

issatree
5th October 2013, 02:20 AM
Hi Jim, Brendan,
Jim I think I prefer it the way I do it at this time, but will give it a bit of consideration.
I had heard that you have used Vinegar.

Brendan, I had Posted the way I do it in past posts, but if you can't find them let me know & I will go through it again.
I bought a Pkt. of those Diamond Discs, at the last WWW Show, but they are not as good as the used discs I make from Sanding Belts.

issatree
5th October 2013, 02:40 AM
Brendan,
I typed " Band Saw Blade Sharpening " into the Search Box top RH Cnr. Did 1 reply on 12th. Oct. 2012, but I'm sure I did a more comprehensive post a bit earlier than that.
So it is still in there some where.
Have a go both ways, with Vinegar or the Dremel.

Mulgabill
5th October 2013, 12:04 PM
Hi All,

The 2nd. one is, at a recent Woodturners get together, one of our Turners came up with an idea of using a Hair Dryer to clean off the Lathe, when ever. Works a treat.
He could have got it from someone else, I don't know.
So to the Sunday Market, looking for a H/D, 2nd. hand of course.
Spied one on a stand, but was a new one $8, thank you very much.
Try it, as it really works.
G'day Lewis!
Yes! the hair dryer is a good tip:2tsup: Some in our club have been using it for a couple of years. The heat setting does come in handy in the winter months, but as Tony pointed out, be careful with the build-up of dust and working around finish fumes etc.

nalmo
5th October 2013, 06:51 PM
Plenty of videos on youtube about bandsaw sharpening.

How to sharpen a bandsaw blade - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wht-30Oh4zQ)