PDA

View Full Version : Wood turning magazines - which one/s is best?

Potzii
7th October 2013, 11:30 AM
As a relative newcomer to the forum and just getting back into a bit of woodturning I have been having a look at magazines. I will eventually check them all out and decide which one I prefer but I thought I would ask the question on this forum.

Which magazine do you prefer to read?

Regards

Mark

Regards Potzii

Sturdee
7th October 2013, 04:14 PM
I subscribe to the English magazine " Woodturning" organised through Pop's Shed, you get a good deal from them better then the Woodsmith as well as the American magazine " Woodturning Design"

Both good but the English one has more step by step projects.

Peter.

mjl09
7th October 2013, 05:21 PM
If you dont mind them in electronic form - the UK woodturning magazine is also available through pocketmags as an electronic magazine.

greyhound
8th October 2013, 06:08 AM
I prefer wood turning design better than the English wood turner too many adds and reports on local shows.
The Australia woodworker is great for the beginners projects by Ken Wraight:2tsup:

bassmansimon
8th October 2013, 08:58 AM
I like Australian Wood Review, and it also has a good iPad app which means all your volumes are kept in one (hopefully not lost) place.
Each issue has something on woodturning, but it is not a designated turning magazine

rsser
8th October 2013, 04:31 PM
Australian WoodWorker mag also usually has a piece on turning in each issue and is readily available in newsagents.

ditto Australian Wood Review.

I used to sub to the UK mag Woodturning but didn't get a lot out of it.

There's some turning stuff in Fine Woodworking from the US and an online sub may be worth it esp. given the access it provides to all past pieces online. You can get a trial sub. Fine Woodworking - videos, project plans, how-to articles, magazines, and books (http://www.finewoodworking.com/)

A digital-only membership of the Association of American Woodturners is cheap and gives you online access to the rich resources in issues of American Woodturner. American Association of Woodturners - Official Website (http://www.woodturner.org/)

dr4g0nfly
9th October 2013, 06:23 AM
I'm English and live in England.

Our magazine 'Woodturning' I think is getting a little 'stale'. It's almost becoming a publication by rote, and lacking that spark of originality.

Unfortunately it's also the only one I can readily lay my hands upon.

Dalboy
9th October 2013, 10:50 PM
:whs:

Sevilla
10th October 2013, 11:44 AM
If you dont mind them in electronic form - the UK woodturning magazine is also available through pocketmags as an electronic magazine.

I went on their internet site and could not find any mention of an electronic format.

smiife
10th October 2013, 07:32 PM
hi sevilla,
you will need to go to www.thegmcgroup.com.
i think thats the website
cheers smiife

mjl09
12th October 2013, 03:10 PM
on itunes if apple is your flavour
(link from the gmc front page)
Connecting to the iTunes Store. (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtistSeeAll?dkId=11&ids=373521339&softwareType=iPhone)

or Android or PC's and many others (apple as well)
Pocketmags.com | Woodturning (http://www.pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?catid=1034&category=Hobbies+%26+Crafts&subcatid=214&subcategory=Woodworking&title=Woodturning&titleid=493)

Big Shed
12th October 2013, 05:57 PM
My daughter gave me a 12 month subscription to Woodturning as a thank you for building her something (very nice indeed!)

They are offering a re-subscription for 46.45 pounds which is roughly $A85 when you include the lousy Visa excchange rate and os fee.

That works out at $A7 per issue as against $A11.50 on the newsstand.

I guess for $A7 a copy it is worth re-subscribing, although each issue is a little like "ground hog day".

They also state that they offer a digital subscription on Pocketmags.com | Digital Magazines for iPad, iPhone, Android, PC and Mac (http://www.pocketmags.com) from only 14.99 pounds for 6 issues, but there it is listed as 21.99 pounds for 6 issues and 39.99 pounds for 12 issues, which is very little less than the paper copy!

mjl09
12th October 2013, 06:29 PM
They also state that they offer a digital subscription on Pocketmags.com | Digital Magazines for iPad, iPhone, Android, PC and Mac (http://www.pocketmags.com) from only 14.99 pounds for 6 issues, but there it is listed as 21.99 pounds for 6 issues and 39.99 pounds for 12 issues, which is very little less than the paper copy!

Check which currency the prices are in - at the moment its showing 39.99 Aussie dollars for a 12 issue subscription. Pocketmags also run various specials from time to time so it may appear cheaper from time to time

Big Shed
12th October 2013, 06:45 PM
Check which currency the prices are in - at the moment its showing 39.99 Aussie dollars for a 12 issue subscription. Pocketmags also run various specials from time to time so it may appear cheaper from time to time

You are correct! It shows a $ sign, but doesn't mention Aust Dollar, but I am asuming it is checking my IP address and adjusting to Australian currency.

Does anyone have the digital subscription? Can it be saved to disk and/or printed?

Cliff Rogers
12th October 2013, 07:26 PM
I bought the English magazine " Woodturning" for a lot of years & then one day I realised that I had finished reading it the night it arrived.
I stopped subscribing.

It has had some good stuff & some inspirational stuff in it but I haven't even been tempted to pick one up for at least a year now.

mjl09
12th October 2013, 07:29 PM
The currency on the pocketmags site should appear in a drop down box at the top right of the page.

Yes i have a digital subscription to woodturning - but i can only tell you about how it behaves on a pc.

There are a number of ways to access subscribed content on a PC.

Through your web browser directly - through one of two different readers - flash (old) or silverlight based plugins
- i dont tend to do this

Through the pocketmags reader program which is installed onto your computer (also available as windows 8 app)
In this case the magazines are downloaded to your computer (if you find where they are stored on your computer this location can be backed up - so you wont have to download everything again in the event of a PC crash).
So the files do get saved as such and can be printed - albeit only one page at a time and they are overprinted with pocketmags diagonally across the page as a watermark (but its not a problem in most cases).

buying a single issue is a cheap way to try and was what i did when i first came across it.

smiife
13th October 2013, 07:37 PM
I bought the English magazine " Woodturning" for a lot of years & then one day I realised that I had finished reading it the night it arrived.
I stopped subscribing.

It has had some good stuff & some inspirational stuff in it but I haven't even been tempted to pick one up for at least a year now.

hi all,
i think when new to wood turning ,the W.T.mag offers a lot of information,but as you
become more experienced maybe there is a bit of repetition,you can only turn a bowl so many ways
and finish in a few certain ways,i have subscribed for a few years now and must agree
that it is becoming a bit boring,i guess i will always be learning but i think that comes from
practice now and not going over the same stuff,just my thoughts:U
i must agree with cliff
cheers smiife:2tsup:

coffenup
13th October 2013, 09:32 PM
I went on their internet site and could not find any mention of an electronic format.

try
Pocketmags.com | Digital Magazines for iPad, iPhone, Android, PC and Mac (http://www.pocketmags.com/Default.aspx)
regards Michael

mjl09
16th October 2013, 07:20 AM
For those curious about pocketmags - the November issue of woodturning is currently available for just $AUD 2.99 (normally 5.49)
But for a very short time only - till Midnight Sunday 20th GMT