PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Bowl

Beedeejay
21st October 2013, 11:09 PM
Hi All,
been a while since I posted something on this side of the turning forums so I though I would put up a couple of pics
What I have made is a natural edge bowl out of what I was told was a piece of River Red Gum burl.
I have no idea how old it realy is but it is at least 5 years off the tree!

First 2 pics is what is looked like before I started attacking it on the lathe. Also with a couple of small packs of CA squeezed into it.

Next pic is of it half turned. It was one of the hardest timbers I have turned so far.

And the last pic is of the finished product.

I gave it three coats of Kunos oil buffing it by hand in between coats.

I entered it into Gold Coast Show and was super stoked to have got First place for in its category (bowls over 200mm diameter) and it got second over all in the novice section.

Thanks for looking.
Any comments are welcome
Cheers Ben

Willy Nelson
21st October 2013, 11:36 PM
Mate
Great looking burl there. Nice form as well. Looks like you have the correct lathe turning things like, the big Vicmarc
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

SNAFU11
22nd October 2013, 04:21 AM
Excellent work there Ben it looks great and congrats on your 1st place and second overall that's a great achievement :2tsup:

Mick!!!

artme
22nd October 2013, 04:28 PM
Excellent in every respect!!! Well done to you!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

smiife
22nd October 2013, 07:45 PM
well done ben,looks great and well deserved first prize
:brava:brava:brava:brava:brava:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::brava
cheers smiife

Christos
22nd October 2013, 09:10 PM
Well done.

TTIT
22nd October 2013, 11:49 PM
Top job - looks great :2tsup:

Beedeejay
23rd October 2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys,
It was definitely worth the time I spent on it, most of which was Filling cracks with CA and sanding,
I have a couple more pieces that I enters in the show that I will up load in the next day or two,
cheers again
Ben