PDA

View Full Version : Wood Turning Class for a novice

Greyman
22nd October 2013, 10:59 AM
Hi, I have just taken over a wood lathe from a friend heading overseas and would love some recommendations for good wood turning classes in the Melbourne area.
I am completely new to this so would need to start from the very basics.

_fly_
22nd October 2013, 11:46 AM
Hi, I have just taken over a wood lathe from a friend heading overseas and would love some recommendations for good wood turning classes in the Melbourne area.
I am completely new to this so would need to start from the very basics.

If you want first class great tuition, get in touch with here on the forums, best you'll get.

If you want second class then join your local mens shed, most run classes.

Evanism
22nd October 2013, 11:58 AM
Agreed.

I am saving for a tuition with .

Treecycle
22nd October 2013, 01:16 PM
Which part of Melbourne are you?

Gra
22nd October 2013, 01:49 PM
If you are anywhere near Templestowe, the Templestowe woodworking club run a good beginners class

_fly_
22nd October 2013, 02:37 PM
there is one near chaddy called waverley woodworkers.
There is one in Knox ( more FTG )
there is one in berwick,

Believe there is one in box hill.
North of doncaster or over the westgate do not exist to me so I have no idea.

michael_m
22nd October 2013, 03:13 PM
Pop's Shed in Croydon also run turning classes. Their link is in the sponser's links to the right of the page, I think.

Allan at Wallan
22nd October 2013, 03:26 PM
Welcome Greyman.

It always helps to nominate your suburb and then any interested
members can direct you to the most appropriate group.

We, at Northern Woodturners Club, are located in Kingsbury which
is between Reservoir and Bundoora.

Let me know if you are interested and I can give your more
complete details.

Allan

Gra
22nd October 2013, 04:02 PM
Pop's Shed in Croydon also run turning classes. Their link is in the sponser's links to the right of the page, I think.

Damn I forgot pops, and Im in there on a weekly basis as well...:doh:. They would be good guys to learn from, have a nive set up in the back of the shop as well

Greyman
22nd October 2013, 08:04 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help. Your right I should have mentioned I am in the Hawthorn area but quite happy to travel so Chadstone / Templestowe / Box Hill would be fine.
Fly suggested , do you know where he operates from ?

_fly_
22nd October 2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help. Your right I should have mentioned I am in the Hawthorn area but quite happy to travel so Chadstone / Templestowe / Box Hill would be fine.
Fly suggested , do you know where he operates from ?

Tooradin, he's a moderator on the forums here.
you can go for a fish as well while your there.

Waverley woodworkers is opposite jordanville station, if that helps.
We have an excellent guy who teach's on tuesday nights for 6 weeks, been doing it for ages and judges comps as well.

Greyman
22nd October 2013, 10:56 PM
Tooradin, he's a moderator on the forums here.
you can go for a fish as well while your there.

Waverley woodworkers is opposite jordanville station, if that helps.
We have an excellent guy who teach's on tuesday nights for 6 weeks, been doing it for ages and judges comps as well.

cheers fly, Waverley sounds like a good starting point, I will contact them and see what's involved. Appreciate your help.

_fly_
23rd October 2013, 12:08 AM
You'll see me there.
usually there most wed, fri and sat.

long hair and grey beard, can't miss me I'm gorgeous.

Chesand
23rd October 2013, 07:06 AM

And modest too. :D :D

rsser
23rd October 2013, 08:33 AM
Also Koonung Woodturners in Blackburn. They run Thurs pm hands-on sessions. Home Page - Koonung Wood Turners Guild (http://home.vicnet.net.au/~woodturn/)

Greyman
24th October 2013, 09:43 AM
You'll see me there.
usually there most wed, fri and sat.

Look forward to seeing if you are all you say you are fly, I will contact the club and see when the classes begin.

_fly_
24th October 2013, 09:56 AM
Waverley Woodworkers Inc. (WWC) (http://www.waverleywoodworkers.org.au/)

has phone no etc.
Its not just turning, can do other stuff there as well.

Greyman
24th October 2013, 10:05 AM
Waverley Woodworkers Inc. (WWC) (http://www.waverleywoodworkers.org.au/)

has phone no etc.
Its not just turning, can do other stuff there as well.

thanks, I just tried to email them but it came back saying that the mail box was full and couldn't be delivered.
Will try again later on.

rsser
24th October 2013, 11:55 AM
Just an observation about where to learn in Vic and what might count.

What counts:

1. Experienced turner.
2. Said turner is able to teach (1. and 2. are not the same by any means).
3. Turning teacher will meet you at the point where you ready to take your next step.

TAFE used to run turning courses in various locations in Melb.; no longer. I got my intro lessons from a former TAFE instructor in his workshop one-on-one.

After that I got some lessons here in Melb. from Andrew Potocnik. He was close to where I live and my back was cactus and he was kind enough to come out to my place. Andrew is what you'd call a wood artist and we worked together on a natural edge Red Mallee burl that was rewarding in terms of outcome and in terms of learning.

After that I had a couple of sessions with down on the marshland and found him an excellent teacher; he's got the skill, the experience and a capacity to explain not just what but why.

After all that and with 10 years of practice I went into teaching myself and got a steady stream of clients (and good feedback). I no longer do that as my clients wanted intro lessons and while that was rewarding it was not the market I was aiming for.

Upshot: not every skilled turner can teach so re Club offerings be prepared to move around.

HTH,

Ern

Greyman
24th October 2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks for your feedback Ern, I think a great way to learn is to take advantage of the experience from as many people as you can.