PDA

View Full Version : Forest Redgum Handle

Scott
27th October 2013, 10:28 AM
Every time I go to the Working With Wood show I always walk away with some sort of un-handled turning tool from McJings (http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=653). This is actually a great way to acquire some cheap turning tools. You also get to try your hand at some spindle turning as well. The bowl gouge and ferrule cost a total of $32. The handle was made from Forest Redgum acquired from Mapleman. I only sanded to 240g or so and applied a few light coats of boiled linseed. The quality of the steel is surprisingly good and holds an edge very well.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/56431-scott/albums/scott-s-grot/291026-crw-6568-600.jpg

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/56431-scott/albums/scott-s-grot/291023-crw-6569-600.jpg

artme
27th October 2013, 12:58 PM
There's a lot of satisfaction to be had from a job like this! Well done!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Scott
27th October 2013, 05:15 PM
There's a lot of satisfaction to be had from a job like this! Well done!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Certainly is. I think I go for the home made tools more than the bought ones most of the time.

Sawdust Maker
27th October 2013, 09:20 PM
Nice

that red gum looks very pretty

I also prefer to make my own handles - I'm too cheap to buy them and like a little saving

greyhound
28th October 2013, 01:17 PM
making up your own handles the only way to go .make it to suit the purpose and hand grip and size .
also makes it easy to identify different tools

hughie
30th October 2013, 10:19 AM
looks very professional

ian thorn
30th October 2013, 03:13 PM
A very nice handle I do the same but sometimes it is nearly as cheap with the handle here.

issatree
30th October 2013, 05:04 PM
Hi Scott & Others,
I have been praising The Chinese Steel for a long time now.
Very hard to convince Newbies & others, of this high quality steel, & Cheaper.
I wood have approx.12 Pieces of McJing Steel now, & as I have said before, I just can't fault it in any way.
IMHO far better than some I know.

If you wanted a different style of handle, go to Richard Raffan's Book, " Turning Wood". It is on Page 155 in his Early Book.

So I now select my piece of wood for a handle, run it long ways, through the Bandsaw, place the desired tool on the inside, draw around it & carve out on both pieces, glue back together, then Turn the Handle, & I use either Allum.Chair or Copper for my Ferrule, & all things being equal, the Tool should slip in very nicely. Just for my satisfaction I sign & date the wood, & then I finish with Beeswax, a simple but fine finish.
I only use PVA to Glue the Tool in.

Christos
1st November 2013, 04:06 PM
Lovely work on the handle. I also agree that turning a handle gives you some practice in spindle turning.

chuck1
3rd November 2013, 10:03 AM
turning tool handles are a great project, they are the few items I don't like the same! I bought some second hand turning chisels and the guy had made them identical which makes it hard on a production run with shavings everywhere!
the Mcjings tool steel gets a thumbs up from me too! I have made a parting tool and skew chisel and it holds its edge just nearly as long as the boler tool steel!

rsser
5th November 2013, 02:50 PM
Nice work Scott. And a good pic too.

Most quality turning tool makers have offered handled and unhandled. I look at the price difference and if it's over ten bucks it's a DIY job.

Re McJing steel, I've found it variable. At a guess that's about what temperature the batch is tempered to and how the result works with our hard and/or abrasive timbers.