PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Upgrade.

goodwoody
30th May 2005, 01:10 AM
Hello people,
Over the past few months I have come to realise that I have oputgrown my old Coronet/Record lathe as was considering a major upgrade. The two lathes I was comparing were the Omega Stubby and the Vicmarc Vl300 electronic shortbed lathe. I understand that both these weapons are superb in mayerial choice construction and overall workmanship. Basically much the same, I think.
What I would like to here are people's opinions on both and of course the smartass comments that flow so lubriciously from certain members. :p
Thanks Damien.

Cliff Rogers
30th May 2005, 02:08 PM
G'day.

I have a Vicmarc VL300 short bed with electronic speed control & I love it.

I have not tried the Omega Stubby but have heard that it is also good.

If I were you, I guess it would be down to price & delivery costs.

The only comment that I have heard is that Vermec have a model of the VL300 with a better speed control, that may be worth checking on.
Enzo at Vermec is the brother of Vic at Vicmarc.
Vermec resells hotted up versions of Vicmarc & Jet lathes.

westpest
30th May 2005, 02:24 PM
I had the pleasure of visiting Enzo at his factory in Brisbane last week and was most impressed with his Vicmarc conversions. Had I known of his "supercharged"175 I most certainly would have bought one.It has a 2hp motor and a much more efficient control box.

As you are not that far away I would call in and see him as he is more than willing to demonstrate his mods.

Dan

Babytoolman
30th May 2005, 02:44 PM
do you know if Vermec are going to the sydney show?

rbjozzia
30th May 2005, 02:59 PM
I have a Stubby I bought 2nd hand 2 yrs ago. My first lathe and would not swap it for any other. A Rolls Royce of lathes. I learnt on a Vicmarc and that was very good. With a Stubby you can turn a metre dia if that is an ambition, also it has a relatively small footprint but the bed can extend to 1 m between centres.

Cheers

sailingamerican
30th May 2005, 03:57 PM
Learnt ( learned) It is thickness planer not thicknesser or how ever you Aussies say and spell that word. Now my wife is an Aussie and she has perfect grammar so I know you were taught better. Back to the lathes. Both are good. If the controls and motor are better on one that is the one I would purschase. Happy turning.

keith53
30th May 2005, 10:09 PM
I've also read some good reviews on the Nova DVR3000 as well. Might be worth a look.

Cliff Rogers
30th May 2005, 10:52 PM
do you know if Vermec are going to the sydney show?
Yeap, stand 214.

I've also read some good reviews on the Nova DVR3000 as well. Might be worth a look.
Prob'ly not if he's in the market for an Omega Stubby or a Vicmarc Vl300 electronic shortbed. ;)

Tony Morton
30th May 2005, 10:56 PM
Hi Damien
I've had a Stubby for about four years after drooling over the brochure for about the same time ,couldnt find any one who had one so bit the bullet and got one. For me its the greatest I like the versatiliy of it and for the odd shapes I turn its great the second banjo is always in use as is the auxillery bed ,most of the time its at right angles ot the headstock and keeps me away from saw like burl edges. Only negative I have found is the position of controlls when turning large diameters ,but I understand that new models have the controlls on a flexable cord so they can be positioned for ease of use. With the stubby you will be spending between six and seven big ones may be more now but you will have years of sheer joy with the preformance of the Stubby.
Cheers Tony

goodwoody
31st May 2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks people! I recently contacted both firms via emails and the responses were both professional and prompt. I new the Omega was pricey but I was seriously shocked when I open the mail to reveal the retail price. But then again it will outlast myself and hopefully my great grand children!
I have the cash but parting with it is the problem as everyone understands.
I also believe that this purchase will put me in deeper with Imelda as now I spend my free time between the shed on my record and in the paddock collecting timber. Later Damien.

La truciolara
6th June 2005, 05:04 AM
If it can be of some help I have turned on both, and both are lovely tools.
Now, If I had to choose one out of the two Rolls Royces, I think I would go for the Stubby which is more versatile.
Go for the cheapest, it is going to be a fantastic purchase any how and you will not regret it.