PDA

View Full Version : NG Rosewood Bowl

Christos
1st November 2013, 11:29 AM
I mention in another thread that I ended with a few bowl blanks and that I was using them to practice.

This one is NG Rosewood as most would have read the title and deduced from there. :q

I had a small piece fly out of this one and turned it out and continued shaping the bottom. Once I turned it around and started hollowing I discovered a fault where another piece has departed from the bowl. By my limited experience with bowl turning I was seeing a possible fault that might cause a third of the bowl to depart from the piece. I decided to stop and leave it a little heavy.

One thing I found strange is this piece I was turning has the pith of the tree or branch running from one end of the bowl to the other. I found turning NG Rosewood was an absolute pleasure so easy to cut.

Please feel free to comment and offer suggestions.

291596 291595

SNAFU11
2nd November 2013, 04:00 AM
Your turning bowls out like a production line Christos,i like those inclusions in your bowl i think it sets it off..nice piece of rosewood mate,i need to practice doing more bowls, Dorno has me hooked on turning pens:;

Mick!!!

wheelinround
2nd November 2013, 08:42 AM
Your turning bowls out like a production line Christos,i like those inclusions in your bowl i think it sets it off..nice piece of rosewood mate,i need to practice doing more bowls, Dorno has me hooked on turning pens:;

Mick!!!

Mick he Dorno is trying to learn bowl making you need to teach him.

wheelinround
2nd November 2013, 08:45 AM
Christos NGRW can be a a pleasure or ARPIA need to watch for silica in it as it blunts tools faster than a grinder would :B

CA works wonders to fix, and stop bits flying off look prior turning and even as a precaution drop some in the void.

Drillit
2nd November 2013, 08:51 AM
Christos,
Well done. It has nice texturing/figuring. If it is a small defect
I suggest medium/thick CA with relevant sawdust. If bigger think about epoxy and colour and make a feature of it.
I am making a son-in-law a rod rack for Xmas using some NG Rosewood that I got from Trend recently. Beautfiul figuring on it.
PS. The big clamps are working well. Regards, Drillit.

Sawdust Maker
2nd November 2013, 10:39 AM
:2tsup:

Christos
2nd November 2013, 06:35 PM
PS. The big clamps are working well. Regards, Drillit.

That's good to hear you are using the clamps. I certainly have had no use for anything longer than 600mm.