PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc VL175 Dimensions

Bagmann
2nd November 2013, 01:19 PM
Hi all, was hoping that someone out there could possibly help. I have decided to part ways with my old MC900 and upgrade to a vicmarc vl175 benchmount. While I save up I thought I could start on constructing a bench to support the beauty, but I need some dimensions to start planning.......soooo if a vicmarc owner would be kind enough to measure their machine (the dimensions I would like are on the photo attached) I would be eternally grateful. Thanks a million in advance.

wheelinround
2nd November 2013, 05:44 PM
I think you might find what your after here (http://www.vicmarc.com/downloads/Vicmarc%20Lathe%20Manual%20A4%20Sept10.pdf)

pommyphil
2nd November 2013, 05:54 PM
Wise move :D Mine is older 2001 so check with Vicmarc ......but

A = 215mm
B = 265mm
C = 1140mm
D = 110mm
E = 1730mm

Go for it :2tsup: Phil

Bagmann
2nd November 2013, 07:10 PM
THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!!! very much appreciated.

Scott
2nd November 2013, 09:36 PM
Wise move :D Mine is older 2001 so check with Vicmarc ......but

A = 215mm
B = 265mm
C = 1140mm
D = 110mm
E = 1730mm

Go for it :2tsup: Phil

Be interesting to compare Phil's 2001 with my 2013 model:

A = 215mm
B = 265mm
C = 1145mm
D = 210mm
E = 1740mm

Some subtle differences.

Sturdee
2nd November 2013, 09:48 PM
Be interesting to compare Phil's 2001 with my 2013 model:

A = 215mm
B = 265mm
C = 1145mm
D = 210mm
E = 1740mm

Some subtle differences.

You might like to check that Scott, as A+B+C+D doesn't equal E. :U

Peter.

Scott
2nd November 2013, 09:52 PM
You might like to check that Scott, as A+B+C+D doesn't equal E. :U

Peter.

Err. :B

issatree
3rd November 2013, 10:59 AM
Hi Bagman,
I wood like to think that you maybe buying the Variable Speed Version. So much better, only that I have seen & used. I don't have one.
Wood your frame be Steel, & if so, will the Lathe be sitting on Rails, as then all the Shavings, fall through to the floor.
My " Tough " sits on 2 - 90 x 90 x 8mm. Galv. as well. The 8 is a bit of a guess, but it wood be close.

Bagmann
3rd November 2013, 11:09 AM
Yes am thinking of a wooden bench, but a bit different to any others that I have seen, and yes I am hoping to get the variable speed version, Just deciding if a lung or a kidney would the better to sell.

issatree
3rd November 2013, 04:55 PM
Hi Bagman,
It doesn't matter how well you make the Wooden one it will still come loose.
Been there, done that. Steel for me.

RETIRED
3rd November 2013, 05:48 PM
Hi Bagman,
Been there, done that. Steel for me.Second that.:cool:

rsser
3rd November 2013, 06:25 PM
FWIW I went the shave-dollars option on my first VL175 by buying the bench model.

The challenge with DIY or commissioned stands is that with the swivel head you get rocking forces in various directions. Big irregular bowl blanks rapidly show any failures in design or construction.

As it happened I got lucky with a WW machine supplier in Hastings Vic and he knew what was needed and made the best lathe stand I've ever used. But with that model wiring was also needed and I prob. saved a hundred bucks excluding the cost of two trips down to woop-woop (close to in woop-woop North :p ) If you are handy with metal cutting and welding then DIY can work. Trestles out of heavy RHS, vertical at the front, tapered at the back; joining struts out of similar at top and middle. Trestle foot plates to bolt to the floor.

With my second VL175 I got the whole kit. The stand isn't as good as the commissioned one but is good enough. There's just wobblies at one point in the rev range that I could eliminate with some fiddling but it's easy enough just to turn the dial up or down a bit. That stand is fabricated from folded steel sheet designed to be flat packed.

Bottom line IME: sell a kidney, cry once.

Bagmann
9th November 2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I will certainly take your word for it regarding steel vs timber, now thinking a steel frame possibly 50x50x2mm with timber cabinet drawer sections? thanks again very much appreciated.

powderpost
14th November 2013, 10:36 PM
Hi Bagman,
Been there, done that. Steel for me.
Have to disagree. I have a number of lathes, all on wooden stand/benches. Two of these, Woodfast MC900's, have done lot of work, some of which would exceed the makers expectations, mounted on wooden benches without a problem for the greater part of 30 years. Some find it necessary to fit a 50mm plank between the steel to absorb vibration. Imho wood is far superior to steel for this application. And they are not even bolted to the floor.

Jim

issatree
15th November 2013, 01:47 AM
Hi Jim,
Even though my Stand is steel, I used 2 pieces of Sheet Lead, under each of the 6 Bolts.
No Vibration here.

rsser
15th November 2013, 05:28 PM
I've no doubt that wood can equal steel in a mount.

For a swivel-head lathe stressed by the av. unbalanced bowl lump that a hobby turner is likely to find, that would in my view require half-lap or M&T joints in hardwood given the forces involved, and close attention to design of the mount.

If the OPer is has a background in carpentry or cabinetry that won't be any trouble. It will involve time and material cost those need to be factored in.

My VL175 factory mount does generate vibes with some bowl blanks. No drama. Ramp up and they go, ramp down ditto.