PDA

View Full Version : Cornor Chisel Thingy

Shane Watson
22nd September 2002, 03:44 PM
Hey, was watching that show on cable TV yesterday (saturday) morning, I think its called the New Yankee Workshop. Anyway he was making something that had doors (how unusual, heheh ) and he routed the rebates for the hinges and then got this square looking block thing that sat in the cornor of the rabate and with a tap of a hammer a rigth angle chisel cuts away the round part in the cornor left from the router...Anyone here in Aust. seen anything like that or now where I can get one? It would save me countless seconds squaring up hinges rebates! Seriously it would....

Cheers!

DarrylF
22nd September 2002, 08:53 PM
Haven't seen them anywhere here - you could order it from the US I guess.

Personally I think I'd use a corner chisel - Carbatec have a couple of different types. With the spring loaded gadget you need that plus a normal chisel, with a corner chisel you can use it to cut the corner and also to clean up. Would be handy for other tasks too.

John Saxton
22nd September 2002, 10:28 PM
Shane,try giving MIK Intenational in Adelaide, a buzz they are probably one of your best bets here in Oz.
Tel: 08 8333 2977
fax: 08 8364 1685
www.mik.com.au (http://www.mik.com.au)

HTH's
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

derekcohen
23rd September 2002, 12:26 PM
Shane

I was watching the show as well. The corner chisel that Norm was using is often auctioned (for about $20 or so) on ebay (US version). I have not seen them for sale here, but I shall now take a look. Let us know if you find one in the meantime.

I recently bought a Japaenese corner chisel from Carba-Tec. Mine is a 6mm, but other sizes are available. Around $100. I am using it to square the corners on router-made mortices for a project I am currently working on. It could be used for squaring the corners of hinges, but this one is a little smaller than desired.

Regards

Derek (in Perth)

Red neck
26th January 2003, 01:54 AM
Shane

Corner chisel available from MIK at a cost of $44. Listed in their new catalogue on page 55 as C/CHISEL. That is if you didn't take John Saxtons advice above!

RN

[This message has been edited by Red neck (edited 26 January 2003).]