PDA

View Full Version : Buloke Clock

brendan stemp
3rd November 2013, 10:02 PM
I recently did a batch of this style of clock. I import and sell these skeleton clocks on ebay and thought it about time I actually made a clock just to see what it was all about. I also wanted to be in a better position to advise customers on how they could go about making their own. They all used the natural/wane edge runnning through the middle as with this one. Not much turning apart from the ring in the middle that supports/contains the clock insert. A simple design; but that's the kinda guy I am:) It was also very simple to make requiring very few skills apart from the turning (which is pretty straight forward).

The second pic is of the photo setup I used to take the photo. A very simple setup that uses two pieces of chip board and a sheet of white paper. All I needed to do was move this setup to the right spot in my workshop to take advantage of the natural light coming through the skylight.

TTIT
3rd November 2013, 11:43 PM
Beautiful in their simplicity :2tsup::2tsup: Shame I've cut the sapwood off most of my Buloke :C

issatree
4th November 2013, 11:26 PM
Hi Brendan,
So, how did you upset Edith?????.

Well, that is what is says on the Sheet.

brendan stemp
5th November 2013, 09:13 AM
Hi Brendan,
So, how did you upset Edith?????.

Well, that is what is says on the Sheet.

How very perceptive of you Lewis. I had to look at the pic again and that quote aint easy to see. I better have another look at my bech top before I take in photos on it!!

It wasn't me than upset her. Edith Bosch is the Dutch Olympic Judo competitor who was sitting behind the d...head that threw a plastic drink bottle onto the track at the start of the Mens 100m final at the 2012 Olympic games. If you do such a thing its best not to be sitting anywhere near a judo expert. She let him know what she thought of his is idiocy by giving him a good thump. Later on in a morning show on TV there was talk of the incidence and one of the commentators said "whatever you do, DONT UPSET EDITH" and that quote has stuck with me. Apart from being quite funny I thought it had relevance to everyday life; ie if you're going to do something stupid make sure the wrong person isn't there to witness it.

issatree
5th November 2013, 11:08 AM
Hi Brendan,
You know, that is quite true.
Sorry about that, but, couldn't help myself.

rsser
5th November 2013, 02:45 PM
Lovely work Brendan.

Any tips on turning Buloke, apart from dressing the bench grinder wheel?

brendan stemp
5th November 2013, 10:50 PM
Lovely work Brendan.

Any tips on turning Buloke, apart from dressing the bench grinder wheel?

Even though it is hard it is an excellent turning timber. It cuts well and scrapes even better. Sands easily; finish at 320 is all that is needed. Applying an N/c lacquer; I thin it down considerably 50:50 and it only needs 2 coats. In fact, because it is such a close grained timber not many coats of any finish is all that is needed. And then there's the variety in figure and colour you can get. Some of the most spectacular pieces of timber I have seen have been buloke.

Needless to say I love the stuff. Problems with it is it's tendency to split/check if not cut down to anything more than 50mm in thickness (hard to get good grinder blanks) and the very fine dust it produces which gives me the sneezles if I'm slack about dust protection.

tore
6th November 2013, 09:15 AM
i
Where did you get the clock work from?

rsser
6th November 2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks Brendan.

The bowl blank I have was purchased at your first turn fest. Heavy lump. Whoever cut it almost lost the battle with the bandsaw.

brendan stemp
6th November 2013, 12:18 PM
i
Where did you get the clock work from?

This is the best price I have seen for these.

Skeleton Clock Insert 100mm Gold | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Skeleton-Clock-Insert-100mm-Gold-/151088642590?pt=AU_Woodcrafts&hash=item232d95ba1e)
Skeleton Clock Insert 100mm Silver | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Skeleton-Clock-Insert-100mm-Silver-/161105200936?pt=AU_Woodcrafts&hash=item25829e4728)

tore
6th November 2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks