PDA

View Full Version : Remembrance

Dalboy
6th November 2013, 06:18 AM
I had a idea to make or should I say turn a poppy as it is that time of the year so I dug out some tulip wood and beech I had laying around.
I know it is a copy of The Royal British Legion poppy, Now it is finished I will take it to a local branch and give it to them to do as they like with it this Thursday.

It measures 7" at its widest and 6 3/4" from top to bottom as seen in the first picture. The poppy is 5"

C & C welcome

crowie
6th November 2013, 08:31 AM
Very nice workmanship Derek,

THANK YOU for remembering Armistice Day eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month; the poppies of Flanders Fields…

.. LEST WE FORGET…...

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved,
and now we lie In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields.

Dalboy
7th November 2013, 03:52 AM
Thank you Peter I had great fun making this. I must be getting braver with my turning as i am now not so frightened of cutting up nice turned round items, when I first started I always thought why cut up or make holes in a nice (I thought they where nice then) turned bowl etc.

Drillit
7th November 2013, 07:31 AM
:2tsup: & to Crowie. Drillit.

orraloon
7th November 2013, 12:10 PM
A good bit of work and a good deed too.:2tsup:
Regards
John

bassmansimon
7th November 2013, 02:15 PM
Dalboy this is a beautiful idea, brilliantly executed. :2tsup:

Sturdee
22nd January 2014, 10:03 AM
Opened up the current issue of Woodturning" and I saw that a photo of it made page 8. Congratulations on it being published.

Peter.

Dalboy
22nd January 2014, 10:18 PM
Opened up the current issue of Woodturning" and I saw that a photo of it made page 8. Congratulations on it being published.

Peter.

Thank you for that I did not know it was in there as I get another magazine. I now have a copy as the good lady went out this morning and got one.

This is becoming a habit as I have todate managed to Have 1 full article 2 mini descriptions of projects that I had to write and and 4 others like the one you saw where they publish from the forum the magazine runs (that is only the ones I know about)

I must admit that it is nice to think that people out there think my work is good enough to want to publish it.