PDA

View Full Version : Another Practice Bowl

Christos
8th November 2013, 11:45 AM
I picked this up quite a while ago (Camphor) and thought that I should see if I could use it. One of those road side collections.

I let it dry for a little while after cutting it up to some squarish blanks. I recalled that I had one branch going into this piece but I thought that I would be able to shape around it. As you can see I managed to not only not avoid it but also centred it in the middle of the bowl. :doh:

I had a piece fly out and cause a hole at the bottom of the bowl. So I used a bit of casting resin over three casts to fill the hole and the crack that was curving around the inside of the bowl.

All comments welcomed GOOD and BAD.

292588 292589

artme
8th November 2013, 12:15 PM
You've done well to rescue that!! The junction and knots make for interesting grain!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
8th November 2013, 01:53 PM
Christos looks good from here :2tsup:

Drillit
9th November 2013, 11:20 AM
Christos,
You can buy colour additives for the resin (black/red & others) to enhance the feature.
IMHO, it is better than the straight resin colour where there is a bit of space to fill. I
have found the thick bote-cote 2 pack good and it takes colour well. Hope that helps. Drillit.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th November 2013, 01:13 PM
Christos,
You can buy colour additives for the resin (black/red & others) to enhance the feature.
IMHO, it is better than the straight resin colour where there is a bit of space to fill. I
have found the thick bote-cote 2 pack good and it takes colour well. Hope that helps. Drillit.

True... but old coffee grounds also give a good colour match with CL, mix well thru the epoxy and add a bit of interesting texture to the fill.

(Plus are dirt cheap, if you have a percolator or similar. :innocent: )

Beedeejay
10th November 2013, 12:08 AM
True... but old coffee grounds also give a good colour match with CL, mix well thru the epoxy and add a bit of interesting texture to the fill.

(Plus are dirt cheap, if you have a percolator or similar. :innocent: )

If you don't have a percolator maybe drop (Neil) Dai Sensai a pm. He has a nifty little coffee ground product set up:D
(I know he is travelling so he might not be set up).
I think he might go through coffee like goes through Tea:oo::oo:

Cheers Ben

Christos
11th November 2013, 08:58 AM
..... Dai Sensai .....nifty little coffee ground .......I think he might go through coffee like goes through Tea....

Our next wood work forum challenge Tea and Coffee? :inlove:

:U

wheelinround
11th November 2013, 09:05 AM
Here's my Tea entry Christos :p

Christos
11th November 2013, 09:18 AM
I can not see as many tea leaves via the fruit that are in the way.

wheelinround
11th November 2013, 09:30 AM
I can not see as many tea leaves via the fruit that are in the way.

No leaves just berries flowers and fruit

Christos
11th November 2013, 12:35 PM
I know I am going to go off topic and will be in trouble for doing so but I started this thread so :p

Tea leaves by definition is exactly that, when you done drinking the tea it is what is left behind. Leaves. :shiny:

Not fruit.

:rofl:

Well I think it is funny.