PDA

View Full Version : Fitted a new VVVF drive to the Tough

Phil Spencer
8th November 2013, 03:40 PM
Just finished fitting a new Variable speed drive to the Tough, this drive out performs the previous antique drive that I had fitted earlier, also got rid of a nasty vibration by fitting one of those segmented drive belts, be able to start turning again soon Woo Hoo :U

BobL
8th November 2013, 04:03 PM
. . . . ., also got rid of a nasty vivration by fitting one of those segmented drive belts,

:oo: . . . . Sounds a bit personal PS.

What sort of controls do you have on the lathe?

Phil Spencer
8th November 2013, 04:43 PM

What sort of controls do you have on the lathe?

look at the coloured wires on the left hand sode of the drive they go to a remote box set up near the head stock which has a on/off switch, reversing switch and a pot for speed controll

BobL
8th November 2013, 06:17 PM
look at the coloured wires on the left hand sode of the drive they go to a remote box set up near the head stock which has a on/off switch, reversing switch and a pot for speed controll

Thanks

Ozzie
9th November 2013, 08:57 PM
Hi Phil,
I fitted a VSD and 3ph motor (1.1kW) to my tough a couple of years back and only recently noticed an issue with lack of torque.
Finally discovered that the reason was the motor was wired in "star" instead of "delta".
Now need to get it changed.
Hope you don't have a similar problem - but then again you probably know more about the electrics than I do.

Cheers
John

Phil Spencer
9th November 2013, 11:20 PM
Hi Phil,
I fitted a VSD and 3ph motor (1.1kW) to my tough a couple of years back and only recently noticed an issue with lack of torque.
Finally discovered that the reason was the motor was wired in "star" instead of "delta".
Now need to get it changed.
Hope you don't have a similar problem - but then again you probably know more about the electrics than I do.

Cheers
John

John
Your motor has most likely been running undervoltage all this time, on motors up to about 3Kw they are usually 240V delta and 415V star over that they are 415V delta and from memory 615V or there a-bouts in star, I lost count of the number of times when I was called to a job where the 'sparky' had wired the motor incorrectly for some reason they can't read a name plate and extract the correct information from it. With your motor running effectively under voltage (looking for 415V and only getting 240V) it would have been drawing excessive current and gradually this would have cooked the insulation so you would indeed need a new motor.

Do you controll your motor from the drive or have you remotes to control it?

I have had a VVVF on my lathe for about 20 years ( I use to be an engineer selling motors before I came to my senses and retired), members of this forum who run businesses associated with woodwork, use to come to me and pick my brain on motors and VVVF's get a quote then have the ill grace to use the information that I supplied and buy from my opposition.

All I can say is that I am glad I have left the industry.

BTW: I am surprised that no one has asked about the silver box on the right hand side of the drive!

Paul39
10th November 2013, 11:01 AM
Phil,

I have had a VVVF on my lathe for about 20 years ( I use to be an engineer selling motors before I came to my senses and retired), members of this forum who run businesses associated with woodwork, use to come to me and pick my brain on motors and VVVF's get a quote then have the ill grace to use the information that I supplied and buy from my opposition.

That is not very nice. From reading this forum for years, I would have expected better.

Is the silver box to the right of your VVVF a filter so you don't feed noise and interference to your computer, HI Fi, TV, etc.?

What does VVVF stand for? We call them Variable Frequency Drives on this side of the pond.

Phil Spencer
10th November 2013, 02:11 PM
Reply in Red below

Phil,

That is not very nice. From reading this forum for years, I would have expected better. I don't like putting in the time designing something and having the person I did it for using the knowledge I supplied to then go to some one else. I was in business where is the profit in that? :C

Is the silver box to the right of your VVVF a filter so you don't feed noise and interference to your computer, HI Fi, TV, etc.? You earn a greenie :)

What does VVVF stand for? We call them Variable Frequency Drives on this side of the pond. I say Tomato and you sat Tamato all the same :rolleyes:

It is OK for you to have a go at me but not for me to have a go at other people why is that so? Do you belong to the political correctness police or something?

NCArcher
10th November 2013, 05:05 PM
Phil I think Paul was referring to the people who picked your brains then went elsewhere. :doh:

Also called Triple VF Drives. Variable Voltage, Variable Frequency.

Paul39
11th November 2013, 09:44 AM
Reply in Red below

It is OK for you to have a go at me but not for me to have a go at other people why is that so? Do you belong to the political correctness police or something?

I have heard the term PC bandied about but never looked into the definition. So I looked it up:

Political correctness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness)

Interesting.

I was not having a go at you. I think it is rotten for people to get advice from someone, then go elsewhere and buy.

I am a retired photographer. When buying something that I needed to hold in my hand and try before I bought, I would go to my local shop and try the several variations and buy there at full list price. I did this with a Nikon 8008 camera, a month later a Nikon 28 - 85 Zoom Lens, and a month later the whiz-bang take the square root flash.

Total was about $1600 in mid 1980s money. $3,487 in 2013 money.

If I had done my own research and knew what I wanted, I would buy at a discount house where I paid, and was handed a box. Doing this would save several hundred dollars.

I also taught photography, and would tell my students to NEVER, EVER, go to a local store and take the sales persons time to show and demonstrate a camera, then buy elsewhere.

Once I had lunch with an art director, one of the founders of an advertising agency. We had opened our respective businesses about the same time and I considered him a friend. We talked at length about a complicated photo for a billboard and I gave him a quote. Several weeks later I see what we had discussed up on a billboard.

I called the guy and asked what gives? He said, "since you told me how you were going to do, it we got another cheaper photographer to do it".

After that, my conversation and quote to everyone was, "yes I can do that, it will cost $XXX".

I was a commercial, advertising, and industrial photographer for 40 years. I had some wonderful clients, and some rotten ones. Mostly it was so much fun, and I got paid well for it. I got out of the business because of the dog eat dog money part of it.