PDA

View Full Version : Old Croc reportedly in Southern California

ticklingmedusa
15th November 2013, 02:01 PM
Some of you may not know me but I've been a member of this forum for a while.
Greetings to those of you who do remember me.
I'm doing just a tiny bit of finish turning these days.
Also setting up a wet grinder work area.
I bought an inexpensive Tormek knockoff from Grizzly (USA now made in Asia) online
and have been having trouble wrapping my brain around the setup & operation on bowl & spindle gouges.
Croccy stopped by here on Monday afternoon.
I was embarrassed to show him my freehand grinds.
Bowl, spindle, or detail... all of them looked the same.
Too much metal left on the heel of my bevels.
We spent a little time in the shed and online discussing future modifications.
After driving some of the most heavily traveled freeways anywhere on earth he showed up here
and shared his knowledge and time and I am grateful.
I tried to send him home with a billet of something special but travel with it would have proven difficult.
If he shows up here again I'll buy him dinner.
Sorry there isn't a photo this time.
Happy Trails Croc
tm

wheelinround
15th November 2013, 06:15 PM
John how could we forget you or Richard Old Croc I guess that means Ed Reiss will soon have a visitor also.:2tsup:

I find it hard to believe you have had trouble grinding your tools hope its all sorted.

Richard knocked back FREE wood that does it phone call to immigration for breach of :rolleyes: ................they can stop him coming home till he brings wood back :;

Oh and old photo I know but of your last visit by Old Crock

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RVC9m58J8ag/Uc7UVr2McAI/AAAAAAAAEsQ/8UeBcgG0ce8/s200/067.jpg

Mobyturns
15th November 2013, 08:03 PM
That sounds very much like old croc. :2tsup:

Paul39
16th November 2013, 10:02 AM
Old Croc was in Asheville, NC for a day and a half. We had a grand time together.

He should be home by now.

Old Croc
17th November 2013, 12:58 AM
Yes well I am home at last. Unfortunatley the trip home took its toll this time, being awake for 31 odd hours wiped me out, but a 14 hour sleep has fixed me up, i wish i could sleep on planes. Where to start? Yes the Drag racing was worth missing the Prossie Turnout.
I caught up with Ed Reiss in Pensacola, but sadly he is not doing too well, I then took a short 9 hour, at 125 KPH drive up to visit Paul 39 in Asheville North Carolina. I cannot say enough thank you's to Paul for his hospitality and we did have a great time. :2tsup: Paul took me up to a timber shop called Cormak Int, (look them up in Google) and I nearly fainted at the size of the operation, range of species and sizes of timber that these people have for sale from every part of the world. I did buy some to complement what I bought in Orlando, but I had to watch the excess baggage.
Paul took the time to explain the American power system, but its totally different to Aus.
I could not be on the west coast and miss a visit to Tickling Medusa. :2tsup: I just wish I had allowed a few more hours to help him get his Kelton Jig working, but I am sure he will be right now. He did offer me a huge stick of Cocobolo, but our wonderfull Govt want $61 just for a permit to bring it home, so I settled for a bag full of unrestricted timbers. So after 4 weeks, 6000 Miles/ 10,000 Km in renta wrecks, visiting every timber shop, Rockler and Woodcraft stores, I loaded my over weight bags and came home.
If any turners are considering a visit to either side of the USA, look these guys up, you will be inspired.
Thanks to all of you for the kind words, and now for me, save up and do it again.
Regards,
Crocy.

wheelinround
17th November 2013, 07:52 AM
:o All that and not one photo Richard your letting those of us who can only read by pictures down :p

Sorry to hear about Ed tho he hasn't been on much these days.