PDA

View Full Version : Clock - Unknown Wood

Christos
18th November 2013, 12:42 PM
For those that are not familiar with my previous post I was trying to make a clock and it was not until the forth attempt that I manage to get one completed. The other post is here http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/silky-oak-clock-178324/ if you so desire to take a look.

This one now completed is from one of the previous attempts. I went back to the shelf and took another look to see if I could save it. As you can see this is now something that does tell time.

294038 294039 294040

I have no idea what type of wood this is. It was very heavy and a real pain to turn. The chip out that I was getting cause several redesigns, I ended up drilling holes and filling with casting resin. I then sanded through the grits applied finish it looked Yuk. :yuk: And before you ask I think I tried several finishes but not varnish. I went the way of green / black dye that I got from Ubeaut. I allowed this to dry for a week before I got back to it. I sanded most of the colour out and finished with Shellawax cream.

What do people think about this one? What should I have done different? Comments are welcome.

wheelinround
18th November 2013, 02:57 PM
Christos a great Kitchen clock a talking piece if you like ......"Whats the black dots for"???

Like the colour and texture it has brought out the Gold fittings then stand out "Green N Gold"

No idea the timber but its green LOL

Toymaker Len
18th November 2013, 03:01 PM
Looks like english oak.

Christos
18th November 2013, 03:27 PM
... ......"Whats the black dots for"???....

The black dots are the drilled holes (chip out) and filled with casting resin with a blackish dye added.