PDA

View Full Version : Been mucking about with multi center turning.

tea lady
22nd November 2013, 11:36 AM
Red gum candle holders.

A Duke
22nd November 2013, 11:44 AM
:2tsup: Makes me giddy just looking at them.
Regards

jefferson
22nd November 2013, 12:00 PM
Anne Marie, keep playing. You still have much to learn about cutting air. Watch a few of the JFE DVDs a few times and you will get the hang of it. And, BTW, congrats on your AWTEX results!

tea lady
22nd November 2013, 12:27 PM
Anne Marie, keep playing. You still have much to learn about cutting air. Watch a few of the JFE DVDs a few times and you will get the hang of it. And, BTW, congrats on your AWTEX results!Ta. How you going anyway? You still cutting wood? Or drinking beer looking of into the middle distance? :D

Paul39
22nd November 2013, 01:28 PM
Red gum candle holders.

Neat! Fun! I love them!

DaveTTC
22nd November 2013, 01:44 PM
Looks good. What is your finish.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

ndp_2010
22nd November 2013, 02:32 PM
this looks great, can you explain how you did this on the lathe? thanks :)

DSEL74
22nd November 2013, 03:27 PM
Very nice.:2tsup:

tea lady
22nd November 2013, 04:52 PM
this looks great, can you explain how you did this on the lathe? thanks :)Maybe I'll do a bit of a WIP when get a chance. Flat out till December now though. There are youtubes out there of this type of thing though. Google "multi center turning".

jefferson
22nd November 2013, 06:40 PM
Ta. How you going anyway? You still cutting wood? Or drinking beer looking of into the middle distance? :D

Still drinking lots of beer TL, have lent my E. chuck to a mate to play with. It's fun.

chuck1
22nd November 2013, 07:18 PM
they look really nice! with the disc bits they could have a cool effect as wax drips down! well done!

tea lady
22nd November 2013, 08:08 PM
Looks good. What is your finish.

Dave

The Turning CowboyAh, missed a question. Just finished with Rustin's Danish oil. Will also apply Traditional wax, which makes them a little more shiny.

Thanks guys.

TTIT
22nd November 2013, 11:10 PM
Neat :2tsup: Very 'Dr Suess' :U

SNAFU11
23rd November 2013, 03:42 AM
Very well done indeed TL...they look great:2tsup:

Mick!!!

brendan stemp
23rd November 2013, 09:21 AM
Well, these are worth commenting on.

I haven't seen much of this style of work that I like. Most OC pieces look as though they are the result of someone having bought an off centre chuck and then used it in such a way just to of justifying the expense. They look too contrived and poorly designed with the chuck dictating the form. These pieces are quite the opposite.

I love the designs of the two with the balls the most and particularly the one with the several balls before you introduce a disc. These really are worth pursueing and I hope you do more. I would love to see how you could refine these.

I'm not sure why jefferson was suggesting you need more practise. Perhaps you do and he knows you better than I, but I certainly couldn't judge this based on what I see in these pics. They are very accomplished as far as I can see. My only suggestion would be to finish the top with only one or even no discs but you obviously have a great eye for design so I suggest this with some hesitation.

I know in myself when I see something that works well because I feel the urge to go to the lathe and try it myself. This doesn't happen all that often these days but it did when I saw these. I was thinking pepper grinder in this style.

Congrats AM.

tea lady
23rd November 2013, 10:40 AM

I haven't seen much of this style of work that I like. Most OC pieces look as though they are the result of someone having bought an off centre chuck and then used it in such a way just to of justifying the expense. They look too contrived and poorly designed with the chuck dictating the form. These pieces are quite the opposite.

I love the designs of the two with the balls the most and particularly the one with the several balls before you introduce a disc. These really are worth pursueing and I hope you do more. I would love to see how you could refine these.

I'm not sure why jefferson was suggesting you need more practise. Perhaps you do and he knows you better than I, but I certainly couldn't judge this based on what I see in these pics. They are very accomplished as far as I can see. My only suggestion would be to finish the top with only one or even no discs but you obviously have a great eye for design so I suggest this with some hesitation.

I know in myself when I see something that works well because I feel the urge to go to the lathe and try it myself. This doesn't happen all that often these days but it did when I saw these. I was thinking pepper grinder in this style.

Congrats AM.Thanks Brendan. :B Yes the designs are still a work in progress. Still an adventure in "I wonder what happens when". And there are certain details in each one that I especially like, and will try to incorporate in the next ones. I like how they give the impression that the stack of balls and disks could come tumbling down any minute. Was also pondering other things like lamp bases, but couldn't work out how to drill the hole up the middle for the wires. :hmm:

steamingbill
23rd November 2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks Brendan. :B Yes the designs are still a work in progress. Still an adventure in "I wonder what happens when". And there are certain details in each one that I especially like, and will try to incorporate in the next ones. I like how they give the impression that the stack of balls and disks could come tumbling down any minute. Was also pondering other things like lamp bases, but couldn't work out how to drill the hole up the middle for the wires. :hmm:

Would this work ?

What if you bought a really long auger bit, I got some from bunnings ages ago when I built my workbench they can be very long and quite thin.

A quick google yields these Promac Tools :: Wood Drilling :: 1. Wood Augers (http://www.promac.com.au/products/wood-drilling/636/1-wood-augers/) and this Promac 16 x 1000 Wood Auger Clean Cut WH16.0x1000 | Get Tools Direct (http://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/promac-16-x-1000-wood-auger-clean-cut-wh16-0x1000.html)

Drill the hole first in the blank, then you could glue some slightly tapered dowel into the ends to plug them up if you had to, do the off centre stuff as usual, and then drill out the plugs when you've finished turning.

Might be tricky trying to visualise where the hole runs in a complicated off centre turning. Good exercise for 3d thinking.

Got it, if you know where the plugs are you can figure out where the hole is by laying a bit of string or a straight dowel up the outside.

Bill

Tim the Timber Turner
23rd November 2013, 04:24 PM

I'm not sure why jefferson was suggesting you need more practise. Perhaps you do and he knows you better than I, but I certainly couldn't judge this based on what I see in these pics.

Well done Ann Marie!!!

I also think this is a great idea, well worth developing.:2tsup:

You could develop this idea into an individual style that becomes identifiable as yours, this is not an easy thing for a woodturner to achieve.

Brendan has achieved this with his work.

Ken Wraight also.

Also like Brendan I not sure why jefferson thinks you need more practice.

Perhaps he might post some images of his own off centre turnings that you could use as a guide??

The rest of us might then learn something?

Keep up the good work Ann Marie, I look forward to future developments.

Cheers

Tim:)

tea lady
23rd November 2013, 06:02 PM
(I think its just Jefferson's way. :shrug: )

tea lady
23rd November 2013, 06:30 PM
Would this work ?

What if you bought a really long auger bit, I got some from bunnings ages ago when I built my workbench they can be very long and quite thin.

A quick google yields these Promac Tools :: Wood Drilling :: 1. Wood Augers (http://www.promac.com.au/products/wood-drilling/636/1-wood-augers/) and this Promac 16 x 1000 Wood Auger Clean Cut WH16.0x1000 | Get Tools Direct (http://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/promac-16-x-1000-wood-auger-clean-cut-wh16-0x1000.html)

Drill the hole first in the blank, then you could glue some slightly tapered dowel into the ends to plug them up if you had to, do the off centre stuff as usual, and then drill out the plugs when you've finished turning.

Might be tricky trying to visualise where the hole runs in a complicated off centre turning. Good exercise for 3d thinking.

Got it, if you know where the plugs are you can figure out where the hole is by laying a bit of string or a straight dowel up the outside.

BillMaybe with a sectional thing that joined together. :hmm: Either that or get some really pretty bright red wire that looks good when it shows.:D

jefferson
23rd November 2013, 07:05 PM
Well done Ann Marie!!!

I also think this is a great idea, well worth developing.:2tsup:

You could develop this idea into an individual style that becomes identifiable as yours, this is not an easy thing for a woodturner to achieve.

Brendan has achieved this with his work.

Ken Wraight also.

Also like Brendan I not sure why jefferson thinks you need more practice.

Perhaps he might post some images of his own off centre turnings that you could use as a guide??

The rest of us might then learn something?

Keep up the good work Ann Marie, I look forward to future developments.

Cheers

Tim:)

Tim, I've lent my E chuck to a mate, so I can't post some pics of recent work.

If you have a look at some of the JFE work (and some of Ken Wraights), you will see what I'm talking about.

Make no mistake, TL did a fine job. The next step is making it part of your work.

Learning how to cut air is one thing. Making part of a signature piece is another.

And again, TL did wonderful first-up job.

brendan stemp
24th November 2013, 08:15 AM
Tim, I've lent my E chuck to a mate, so I can't post some pics of recent work.

Does the E chuck have a camera in it or is that where you store your photo files?

If you have a look at some of the JFE work (and some of Ken Wraights), you will see what I'm talking about.

Why the need to compare? One of AM's talents is her creativity and thus her want to go where others haven't. That's why I like what she has done. That and the fact that her designs works well. I haven't seen anything of JFE that I like, but I'm sure that's a personal opinion. And Ken travels a different road with his MC work. I'm sure AM is fully aware that she has a way to go with developing this work but she sure has made a damn good start; a start that I believe is more advanced than most's starting point and one that is noteworthy and beyond comparison (especially with JFE and KW). I'm sure you meant to provide some good advice and healthy criticism but I thought your comments came across as a little too patronising

Make no mistake, TL did a fine job. The next step is making it part of your work.

Learning how to cut air is one thing. Making part of a signature piece is another.

And again, TL did wonderful first-up job.

See in-text reply

jefferson
24th November 2013, 09:00 AM
Brendan, I try not to patronise. I did stuff like this - maybe not as well - and put it in the burn pile for last winter.

You don't like JFE's work? That is patronising. Have a look at his website and tell me your not impressed.

tea lady
24th November 2013, 10:08 AM
Brendan, I try not to patronise. I did stuff like this - maybe not as well - and put it in the burn pile for last winter.
I didn't hold these up as the ultimate. I said I'd been mucking around. And thought others might like to see wht I have done and have a bit of fun trying similar things.. Sorry yours went in the burn pile. We might have learned something seeing your work. We don't have to all be perfect to show others what we have done. I will certainly be continuing developing this concept.

Dalboy
24th November 2013, 11:10 AM
For mucking about I think you did a great job:2tsup::2tsup:.

I prefer the one on the left best all I would change is the candle holder area (but then that is just a personal thing)the other two give the appearance of being to cluttered.

I look forward to seeing what you produce when you are not mucking about:roll:

brendan stemp
24th November 2013, 01:18 PM

Another example of a patronising comment. What you are suggesting is that your efforts at doing similar work to AM's weren't worth keeping so you burnt them. Now how would this make anyone feel. I certainly wouldn't appreciate such a comment and I would wonder about the quality of the author's work.

You don't like JFE's work? That is patronising. Have a look at his website and tell me your not impressed.

This was not a patronising comment. Perhaps we have a different understanding of the word. It is a simple statement of fact. I know of people that don't like my work and have told me. KW is one such person. Fair enough. I don't like the Mona Lisa as a painting. This is not patronising.

And I have seen Escoulen's work and, as I wrote before I don't like it. It just ain't my cup of tea. I might be impressed by the skill he demonstrates but that's an entirely different thing to liking it or not.

I choose my words carefully, perhaps you should do the same.

see in-text response

jefferson
24th November 2013, 01:30 PM
Brendan, what part of NOT AS WELL didn't you read?

RETIRED
24th November 2013, 05:27 PM
Play nice kiddies.:D

doug3030
24th November 2013, 06:15 PM
Nice work TeaLady. I am sure I could not hope to do as well until I get a lot more experience.

It does inspire me to want to go out and give it a go - once I finish a hundred other things of course.

Nice job :2tsup:. Thanks for sharing it. it is inspirational.

Cheers

Doug

jefferson
24th November 2013, 06:43 PM
Play nice?

I've got the Stemp telling me how to choose my words more carefully. And another bloke from SA weighing in on the action.

I repeat, I think TL did a good job thus far. But she needs to go further. What's wrong with being honest and saying that? JFE is a long way ahead. Even though the Stemp says he likes TL's work but not that of the master. What? What?

Brendan, as a professional woodturner, you can't be serious. JFE invented off-centre turning and you cannot praise it?

Why is there such an insistence on praising ANY work posted? I see it all the time. Get standing over your shoulder and saying that aint good enough.

And yes, Brendan, an ex-school teacher, you better re-think what you've accused me of. I still haven't heard back from you. A PM may be necessary. I know you send a few around. Maybe it's your turn. And yes, I do like some of your work. I can't speak for anyone else. I particularly like your ability to turn duplicate shakers.

I will try to behave but some make it difficult.

brendan stemp
24th November 2013, 07:23 PM
Play nice?

I've got the Stemp telling me how to choose my words more carefully. And another bloke from SA weighing in on the action.

I repeat, I think TL did a good job thus far. But she needs to go further. What's wrong with being honest and saying that? JFE is a long way ahead. Even though the Stemp says he likes TL's work but not that of the master. What? What?

Brendan, as a professional woodturner, you can't be serious. JFE invented off-centre turning and you cannot praise it?

Why is there such an insistence on praising ANY work posted? I see it all the time. Get standing over your shoulder and saying that aint good enough.

And yes, Brendan, an ex-school teacher, you better re-think what you've accused me of. I still haven't heard back from you. A PM may be necessary.
I genuinely don't know what you are referring to here so perhaps you can PM me and let me know what this is about. I know you send a few around. Mmmm how do you know??Maybe it's your turn. And yes, I do like some of your work. I can't speak for anyone else. I particularly like your ability to turn duplicate shakers.

I will try to behave but some make it difficult.

See in-text reply

I have unsubscribed to this thread. I am not prepared to waste any more time on it.

Mobyturns
25th November 2013, 08:29 AM
TL,

Now all the froth & bubble has blown over -

Very nice work indeed, well turned, well finished, and it looks quite good design wise. Incorporating multiple elements on the same axis is brave a little different to what we have become accustomed to seeing with MA work. :cool:

Having seen the talented Mr Escoulen demo at Turnfest and also having played with his No 1 & 2 chucks, both marvels of design, I have a healthy respect for what you have achieved with these pieces. You should be very proud of your achievements.

On a slightly different tack - why a power lead to make these into lamps? With the LED technology arround today perhaps there is a battery powered LED lighting option available now?

Keep mucking about - I would love to see your "serious" pieces. :D

tea lady
25th November 2013, 09:30 AM
TL,

Now all the froth & bubble has blown over -

Very nice work indeed, well turned, well finished, and it looks quite good design wise. Incorporating multiple elements on the same axis is brave a little different to what we have become accustomed to seeing with MA work. :cool:

Having seen the talented Mr Escoulen demo at Turnfest and also having played with his No 1 & 2 chucks, both marvels of design, I have a healthy respect for what you have achieved with these pieces. You should be very proud of your achievements.Just did these between centers not with any sort of chuck.

On a slightly different tack - why a power lead to make these into lamps? With the LED technology arround today perhaps there is a battery powered LED lighting option available now?
Oh yes. will investigate. But candles are prolly the old school solution.:D
Keep mucking about - I would love to see your "serious" pieces. :DAm planning a chess set. Might know what I am doing after that. :p:U

DaveTTC
25th November 2013, 12:08 PM
Am planning a chess set. Might know what I am doing after that. :p:U
Now what would a chess set sell for ?

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

tea lady
25th November 2013, 12:25 PM
Now what would a chess set sell for ?

Dave

The Turning Cowboy
about $600 wholesale I reckon. That's the price sag anyway. Selling is another thing.:rolleyes: But if its not gonna sell for even less than that, it may as well not sell for more. .......... :p

smiife
25th November 2013, 07:51 PM
hi TL,
i like them i think you have done a great job on them,
just a shame your original post has been spoiled a bit
by the bickering:doh:
how would you go making a pair,would you be able
to replicate another one to match?
well done again they look great:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

tea lady
25th November 2013, 07:57 PM
I reckon they could "kinda" match. Identical might be a little more tricky. I like the idea of a group of related forms. Then people can buy more than two. In fact three would look best. :U

smiife
25th November 2013, 08:02 PM
I reckon they could "kinda" match. Identical might be a little more tricky. I like the idea of a group of related forms. Then people can buy more than two. In fact three would look best. :U

yeah, i think they look better in pairs or as you say a group
would be better,and earn more money....win....win...
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Tim Creeper
28th November 2013, 11:20 AM
Red gum candle holders.

These are really nice. A great idea, I'm afraid I've been timid about having a go at this. Being self taught it seems daunting. I'm sure it's not but.............. I have been inspired.

Paul39
28th November 2013, 12:01 PM
Tea Lady,

I read all the posts, went back to the top and looked at them again. THEY ARE WONDERFUL!

I see no need of making two identical of anything.

tea lady
28th November 2013, 12:45 PM
Tea Lady,

I read all the posts, went back to the top and looked at them again. THEY ARE WONDERFUL!

I see no need of making two identical of anything.thanks Paul.

Bit sad Brendon unsubscribed cos he had interesting things to say. :shrug: Might send him a PM.

jefferson
28th November 2013, 06:01 PM
thanks Paul.

Bit sad Brendon unsubscribed cos he had interesting things to say. :shrug: Might send him a PM.

One of the key sections of ATWEX is identical pairs. In fact, it is a section on it's own. Duplicate off centre turnings has its own challenges Just ask JFE for details, He is French, but he will get back to you.
When Brendan - one of the last pro turners in Vic - can show me how to produce identical pairs with off-centre work, I will be impressed. He may have decided to leave this thread, but I will PM instead. I figure, keep the b's honest. ''

Colin62
28th November 2013, 06:56 PM
One of the key sections of ATWEX is identical pairs. In fact, it is a section on it's own. Duplicate off centre turnings has its own challenges Just ask JFE for details, He is French, but he will get back to you.
When Brendan - one of the last pro turners in Vic - can show me how to produce identical pairs with off-centre work, I will be impressed. He may have decided to leave this thread, but I will PM instead. I figure, keep the b's honest. ''

I'm trying to work out what your beef with Brendan is. He merely stated that he didn't like a certain style, and it seemed to offend you, to the point where you chased him out the thread. Now you feel you need to PM him so that he doesn't miss out. I'm sorry, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and nothing gives anyone else the right to tell them what they may or may not like. Also, whether Brendan chooses to make identical pairs of off-centre work or not has nothing to do with Tea Lady's work, nor with his right to comment on that or on other styles of off-centre work. I am not skilled enough to approach Tea Lady's first attempt at off-centre turning, yet that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it and offer comment on it. It also doesn't mean I can't say I don't like it, if that were the case.

At the end of the day the most skilled turners in the world have their work judged by people who cannot come close to the skill needed to produce that work. It is the same for all art. Even at my modest level, I will take a piece I have made back into the house and my family, who don't turn at all, will offer comments and advice on what they appreciate about it, and on what they think could have been done differently. Their opinion is as valid as mine is, even though they couldn't tell a bowl gouge from a scraper.

tea lady
29th November 2013, 09:25 AM
When Brendan - one of the last pro turners in Vic - can show me how to produce identical pairs with off-centre work, I will be impressed. He may have decided to leave this thread, but I will PM instead. I figure, keep the b's honest. ''I am not interested in doing matching pairs. Not everything has to fit into what AWTEX has a section for. I like related groups.

Anyway. I reckon I could do one. :P You just need to mark and measure and turn accurately. Have been doing pairs for another project. :p

But you have really descended this thread into an unnecessary bun fight Jeff. I know you don't understand why other people are reacting to your comments like they are. You are coming across like a guru bestowing blessings. Aussies don't like that. Not even from their gurus.

DaveTTC
29th November 2013, 09:53 AM
I reckon a matching pair would be pretty awesome but at my current turning ability a real challenge but Im up for a challenge.

give me a till christmas to set up my workshop and you can post me your chuck to have a wirl ;)

I'll give it back to you on Australia Day. you could just bring it to the weekend but that will not give me as much time to play.

tea lady
29th November 2013, 01:46 PM
I reckon a matching pair would be pretty awesome but at my current turning ability a real challenge but Im up for a challenge.

give me a till christmas to set up my workshop and you can post me your chuck to have a wirl ;)

I'll give it back to you on Australia Day. you could just bring it to the weekend but that will not give me as much time to play.

I don't have a chuck. I'm doing it between centers.

DaveTTC
29th November 2013, 01:48 PM
I don't have a chuck. I'm doing it between centers.

Well then .... I'm running out of excuses

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

tea lady
29th November 2013, 01:52 PM
Well then .... I'm running out of excuses

Dave

The Turning CowboyYep. :p Go wreck some wood.

DSEL74
29th November 2013, 04:31 PM
I saw these items a while back in the flesh, just after they had been turned along with a few other items TL had done. I am not a turner, although I would love to learn one day but that is a bunch more tools to buy.

TL and I sat and discussed the form of each and although I think one of them is nicer than the other two, (that is to my eye and personal taste). All had elements of design that can be explored in subsequent forms and all are well made. I don't see why you need to develop a 'Style', did anyone think to ask if this was a bit of fun, a learning exercise. Who said TL wants to specialise in off centre turning for her to need a style??

She did a great job, people can always improve their work no matter their level if they choose to. TL can happily discuss the merits and flaws in her work without heated argument so why can't others??

At the end of the day if they go up for sale, the consumer has probably never seen off centre turning before, never have done wood work, let along turning and just love it for what they can see before them….It's not always about accolades and awards. It's about enjoying what you produce and hopefully passing that on to others who will enjoy it from a different aspect.

RETIRED
29th November 2013, 10:26 PM
Unfortunately I am closing this thread as I think it could be of interest to others but I am more than a little peed off at the slagging off and bickering by people that I call friends.

EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion about the work shown here whether they like it or not but it is how that opinion is stated that is important and should not degenerate into name calling. If you can't be nice about critiquing, say nothing.

Bringing up past events or animosity is not playing fair in my opinion.

What happens elsewhere has no business being here.