PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning club activities

andersonec
27th November 2013, 06:14 AM
Other than the usual demonstrators, what activities would you like to see happen at your club meetings or does your club do any really interesting and different activities?

I have been asked to join our club committee but being a relative newcomer to turning, club activities are not a subject I am familiar with.

Thanks in advance.
Andy :uk:

rsser
27th November 2013, 01:48 PM
I'd say this is a question the Committee should ask of its members and if poss. of prospective members.

If you are of a mind to frame a questionnaire here are some dimensions of club/guild life:

1. Show and tell session at the regular meeting re turnings recently done or re jigs and fixtures
2. Swap/buy, wood and tools
3. Open chat re problem solving
4. Enough time for informal chat among members over a cuppa
5. Interest in small group get-togethers arranged acc. to interest

HTH.

DaveTTC
27th November 2013, 02:37 PM
I think the previous post has it.

I'm in a similar situation to you and have just become the president of my club. Chair my first meeting this week.

I have sounded things off a few members and will work my way round all the members I hope.

Inter-club things may be another option. We do demonstrations for events where our members can sell their items too.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

rsser
27th November 2013, 03:04 PM
The Guild I belong to but rarely attend (distance, time constraints etc) runs a monthly Sat morning or Sat all-day, usually with a demonstrator. As far as I can see in Aus this is a bit unusual. It also has a weekly arvo prac session with lathes on site and a weekly work crit session.

IME those who roll up to any formal event may bring a number of needs and interests. Chinwag and share, and learning, are at the top.

DaveTTC
27th November 2013, 03:13 PM
Our club meets once a month. We have a formal meeting each time This is followed by judging best turning of the month and the. Drink and biscuits.

For the time I have been associated with the club I would say less than 1/2 the time we have actually gone out to the lathes. I'm hoping this will change and that we will see more turning

We meet at 7:30 pm and stay from 2 - 4 hrs. There are no other times we meet but once my workshop is done I hope to have an 'open workshop'. Some of the members are happy to have visits and share their skills. Id like to visit all the members over time.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

rsser
27th November 2013, 04:10 PM
There are plenty of options.

I heard a while ago from my club that recruitment was becoming a problem.

My view on this is as above, what do members want (and they need to be offered clear choices) and what might prospective members want?

In times past folk were looking for info and were often prepared to join voluntary associations to get it and to enjoy the company of others.

In the age of the internet info can be got from anywhere for nix. Yeah, a lot of it is #####. But I'd say the challenge for clubs, to use a bit of jargon, is: what is the value add?

Tuition could be part of the equation - but that's hit and miss. Some very good turners lack teaching skills. Some very good turners pass on knowledge about tools and techniques that was superseded years ago.

tea lady
27th November 2013, 04:47 PM
The club I go to lots of members come to learn turning, but don't know what to make. So some simple projects that can be sold to raise money for either the club itself for other equipment, or for other charities might be a good idea.

On the way to makeing gallery standard lidded boxes and bowls there is never enough spindle turning first, so projects that are quick and easy just to get turning time and experience up is a good idea I reckon. Just in pine or something readily available. Ubiquitous rolling pins (that I have seen in "antique" shops for amazing amounts of money. ) spurtles, paper towel holders. Parts for toys maybe. (from rockets to wheels for trains.) Fat knitting needles. Tea light and candle holders. Egg cups? (for the end grain hollowing )

jefferson
27th November 2013, 04:59 PM
I hate it when my message goes off into the ether. So I'll start again.

Recently, the Albury-Wodonga woodturners got together after Vic Wood had to cancel with a bung hip.

We did some small bowl turning, from outside to in plus some natural edge bowls the second day.

Harry D, an occasional visitor here organised the weekend. Harry is also the Prez of Oz IWCS, loves his wood and his Lucas mill.

Everyone learnt something, me included (plus Harry). The focus was on discovering what lies within a bare piece of wood. We had one Frisbee and some interesting shapes. But it did place some pressure on one of the club's best turners. It lifted everyone's standards.

Visits from etc are great but they go home. The trick is lifting the bar without them.

DaveTTC
27th November 2013, 05:15 PM
Recently, the Albury-Wodonga woodturners got together after Vic Wood had to cancel with a bung hip.

You are not far from me (Jerilderie)

I should get over that way sometime

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

andersonec
28th November 2013, 07:52 AM
Thanks chaps, some interesting and thought provoking posts.

Andy

HazzaB
28th November 2013, 11:55 AM
Hey There,

Here in the West, we are going through the same, I have just recently been elected Convenor of the Local woodturners group, and the State association is having a bit of a think tank about recruitment of new members, so I hope that with some new blood in some groups we get some new ideas, and we share them, this forum is a good starting point.
We will be keeping an eye out for what's going on ;-)

HazzaB

Mobyturns
30th November 2013, 11:02 AM
I feel the think tanks & recruitment drives for new members are a waste of time!

Woodturning draws people to it. The best way to kindle that yearning to create is to get involved in community events, get out in the public eye and to have our craft / art being demonstrated at public events. In Townsville the two local councils held fairly regular Neighbourhood Fun days and other events like the River Festival that encouraged community groups to participate and demonstrate their contributions to the community etc. While they were running the demand for beginners classes outstripped the ability to satisfy the need.

Then you need to engage the turners who have completed the beginners classes with ongoing intermediate training and projects that build confidence and skills.

rsser
30th November 2013, 11:38 AM
Mobyturns, I see a range of voluntary organisations needing to recruit new folk as their membership base declines and sustainability becomes an issue for committees.

In the social science literature there's a good deal that's been written about this, going back to the 1800s with observations about the transition from community to society (ie. from like-minded folk getting together to people exchanging goods and services in the marketplace).

The survival of clubs and guilds needs work, full stop. I think they should survive and I hope they do but argue they will only do so if they're active in reinventing their mission and their practices.

stuffy
30th November 2013, 04:15 PM
House blocks are getting smaller with no room for a garden shed let alone a decent workshop.

I can see an increasing need for community sheds where people can practise their hobbies.

With very little manual arts training in schools and little exposure to physical work at home, I wonder where the next generation of tradesmen will come from?

Woodturning and similar clubs can play a big part in promoting hand skills and the joy of making things if they have the right environment, both physically and socially, along with the financial ability to do so.

Best wishes

:)

Steve.