PDA

View Full Version : Tools

yowie
28th November 2013, 04:56 AM
Ok guys, I have my Lathe now (teknatool 1624) Next is tools. Some came with it but looking to get decent ones. So, what are the best brand of tools to get that are readily available to order in Australia? Christmas is coming up after all...

Woodturner101
28th November 2013, 09:44 AM
I asked the same question in this thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/wood-turning-tools-178702/ , ended up going with a 3/8 inch woodfast bowl gouge and they also have a great selection of reasonably priced tools. Here is a review on them by Brendan Stamp http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/woodfast-turning-tools-179052/
hope this helps.

Bailey

issatree
28th November 2013, 11:07 AM
Hi yowie,
Although I have not used a Woodfast Tool, you wood have to go with what Brendan Stemp has said.
Personally I'm a P&N man as well as John McJings Steel, as I find them good stuff.
I am not a lover of Sorby, but there are a lot of people that do.
Buy mostly Unhandled Tools, as there is a good lesson in making your own Handles. Just a bit cheaper too.
So Google Tool Handles, & go from there. You can use Aluminum Chair Tube for Ferules, as most of mine are of that.

Paul39
28th November 2013, 12:19 PM
Hi yowie,
Although I have not used a Woodfast Tool, you wood have to go with what Brendan Stemp has said.
Personally I'm a P&N man as well as John McJings Steel, as I find them good stuff.
I am not a lover of Sorby, but there are a lot of people that do.
Buy mostly Unhandled Tools, as there is a good lesson in making your own Handles. Just a bit cheaper too.
So Google Tool Handles, & go from there. You can use Aluminum Chair Tube for Ferules, as most of mine are of that.

I use scrap copper plumbing tube for ferrules. I mount the tube between centers, score deeply with tip of skew or V chisel and cut with fine tooth hacksaw with lathe stopped.

Sanded bright with 220 or 320 grit and rubbed with whatever finish you use on the handle, they look nice.

Scott
28th November 2013, 08:33 PM
To be honest, a starter set would suffice. Something like this starter set (http://cws.au.com/shop/category/-starter-kits) from Carroll's or this set from Pop's Shed (http://www.popsshed.com.au/Product_Main.aspx?cid=26&scid=41&pid=66). Start small and work from there. You will need to sharpen them so don't forget to look at sharpening options. I remember starting out and turning with blunt tools, makes turning very unpleasant. Good luck and don't forget to ask lots of questions.

yowie
29th November 2013, 01:24 AM
Hi Guys, Cheers for the replys. I do have a starter set that came with the lathe, and the sharpening options are on there way. I do prefer to buy the decent tools first time around though rather than perservere with lower quality and end up replacing anyway. I had read the other post but it didn't really answer my question in regards to the best available tools.

Cheers
Matt

Colin62
29th November 2013, 01:31 AM
That Sorby starter set is good quality and a well recognised brand, while the one from Pop's Shed may surprise you, it's not bad quality either, and allows you to learn how to sharpen without wasting too much expensive steel.

SNAFU11
29th November 2013, 05:18 AM
When i purchased my lathe from Pop's Shed i purchased the starter set tools as well from Brian and the tools work very well and sharpen up well and hold their edge for quite a while...

Mick!!!

Christos
29th November 2013, 06:48 AM
When I first started turning(about 2 year ago) I was not sure that I wanted to take that path. So I started with a few chisels made from carbon steel. I have since purchased P&N tools that replaced some of the carbon steel tools.

I have not tried any other brand.

Paul39
29th November 2013, 10:13 AM
Hi Guys, Cheers for the replys. I do have a starter set that came with the lathe, and the sharpening options are on there way. I do prefer to buy the decent tools first time around though rather than perservere with lower quality and end up replacing anyway. I had read the other post but it didn't really answer my question in regards to the best available tools.

Cheers
Matt

Matt,

Ah yes, the "BEST". Coke or Pepsi, BMW or Mercedes, Volvo or Saab, Toyota or Honda, etc.

If the starter set that came with the lathe is high speed steel, and has the required tools that you need to make what you want, you do not need any more at this time.

If you are going to do bowls a 1/2 inch (actual shaft size, called a 3/8 inch) bowl gouge and a heavy half round scraper is all you need.

For spindles, the bowl gouge will do for the roughing gouge, and a 3/4 inch skew and maybe a 3/8 inch spindle gouge. I only make tool handles so or Chuck1 will have to step in here.

In the last 2 years there have been lots of discussions about the "best" tools, and one member did an extensive survey of brand names VS cutting time before they became dull. My recollection is they were all so close as to be a matter of personal preference.

I am as much of as a tool slut as anyone. Below is most of my collection. I have added Henry Taylor skew, 3/4 flat scraper and a a special Osolnik gouge. The only tool I bought new is a Crown 5/8 inch bowl gouge. It cuts no better or worse than the Thompson, or no name Sheffield unhandled 5/8 inch, or the Chinese 1/2 inch Bodger that I bought with the round nose scraper for $35.

The junk Chinese set with the short yellow handles I bought for $20 cut just as well as the better sets for a shorter time. I use the 3/4 inch skew a lot when I'm working close to the drive or tail center as it does not hurt me as much when I hear the tic, tic, tic, of metal on metal as when I do the same with the Henry Taylor.

The Sears Craftsman and Professional work as well as the more expensive names but do not have as long a tool and have shorter skinnier handles. I use bowl gouges for long periods of time and like long fat handles so my hands don't cramp.

The red handled tool is an Easy Finisher with a tungsten carbide bit. I use it for roughing Locust which has a lot of silica and dulls high speed steel quickly. There is a thread on tungsten carbide and other exotic metal tools in this forum. I have some mystery metal tools and a lawn mower blade that I use on stumps and posts that have dirt, stones, nails, and wire in them.

You would be best served to get around some other turners who will let you use various brands of tools to see what you like.

If you have deep pockets, look at this: Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: Complete Set of Raffan Tools (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=tools-tayl-raff-set)
You would still need a bowl gouge.

This is most reasonable: CWS Store - Robert Sorby 67HS Starter Set | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/robert-sorby-67hs-starter-set)

The "best" tools will not make you a turner. Decent tools, well sharpened, some instruction, and 100 hours in front of a lathe will. Or you may find turning is not for you.

I started down the primrose path with a 7 X 12 inch metal lathe and a sharpened screwdriver and bench chisel.

McPete
29th November 2013, 05:25 PM
I've been looking at this myself, although I have tools and no lathe just yet!

An old turner advised me to start with cheap tools, buy a decent bench grinder and be prepared to loose several inches from the tools learning to sharpen them. Hence I have a set from Harbour Freight in the US. Gasweld do sets for around $100, which have a nice selection of tools, and seem to be an OK steel.

Have fun!

Pete

(Sorry for the stupid Tapatalk thing...)

rsser
30th November 2013, 12:39 PM
This might be of interest:

Woodfast Turning Tools - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coNKZTHpbUA&feature=em-subs_digest)

In my book, learn to sharpen before you take tool to wood, or alternate, and learn from a good teacher. It'll save you a lot of frustration.