PDA

View Full Version : Putting a collection of old equipment together

Hardenfast
29th November 2013, 10:06 PM
We have recently acquired a new property and I will shortly be in a position to build my big new work shed, which will be large enough to house all of the woodworking equipment I have wanted & already own.

I'm not a big fan of some of the new equipment, preferring the older brands such as Wadkin, Barker, Wolfenden etc. Having said that, I already own a few relatively modern pieces such as a Carbatec 21" band saw, a Jet 22" sander, an Altendorf 3.5m panel saw, a Leda twin-arbour profile sander with pneumatic drums etc. In lathes I have a Vicmarc VL300, a Hegner VB36 (awesome machine) and a Stubby F600.

However, I have quietly been accumulating some classic equipment in both good and average condition in anticipation of the new premises, and with your indulgence I would like to impress you with a few pieces as follows. I'd be very interested to hear from others who have similar or other equipment - particularly in relation to reconditioning tips, sources of parts, advice, service agents etc.

1/ Macson 800mm band saw. Yet to be picked up - in working condition but in need of TLC. I've seen similar machines to this one which have been restored and/or well maintained and have always desired one. I'll have to do a little research on this. Not sure about the belt-drive housing.

2/ LS Barker Twin Disk Sander. I've had this for a few years - unbelievably heavy twin 500mm x 16mm steel discs. It continues to spin for 3-4 minutes after switched off. Mighty piece of gear.

3/ Tough Chain Mortiser. Recent purchase. Keen to get this one set up in the new shed for some restoration and to see what it can do.

4/ Jonsereds 620mm Thicknesser. Another recent purchase. Strange thing is I sold an identical machine about 28 years ago and bought this one a few weeks ago only 10 klms from where I sold the original. I'm wondering if it is the same one? Has an inbuilt blade sharpener/trimmer. These things can take 1mm of a 500m slab of Australian hardwood without slowing down.

5/ Wadkin 320mm Jointer. Superbly made heavy piece of equipment. The only jointer I've previously owned was Makita thicknesser/jointer combo unit. Can't wait to try it out.

6/ Martin Panel/Rip Saw with Auto-Feed. Never heard of Martin equipment before so would love any info. I watched this thing rip through a 100mm thick Douglas Fir flitch without even changing the pitch of the motor

7/ Wadkin Spindle Moulder with Auto-Feed. Come complete with 2 moulding heads and heaps of cutters. I've never owned a spindle moulder and must confess to being somewhat wary of them.

8/ Renniks Twin-Arbour Profile Sander. Not sure of the origins. I believe that Renniks Rebuilt machinery was a brand name for reconditioned equipment by Chas E Skinner. Chas Skinner Jnr had a shop here on the Central Coast until recently - strange guy.

9/ Wadkin Radial Arm Saw. Comes complete with heavy duty roller tables either side. These things are probably a little outdated by the modern slide-saws, but can't be beaten for day-long docking of wide planks.

I have also acquired a few other interesting pieces which will be great to put to use, such as:

Wadkin band saw sharpener. Old piece - not sure whether it works or not, but will be great if it does.
Foley automatic saw sharpener/Filer with separate Foley blade setter. In perfect condition - fully functional with manuals etc.
900mm blacksmiths anvil. The second biggest anvil I've seen - perfect condition
500mm blacksmiths swage block - not sure what I need this for but I had to have it
2.6m x 0.9m blacksmiths steel bench. The bench top is a solid piece of steel 80mm thick with RSJ's for legs - I think it weighs around 3 tonnes. Unbelievable.
Pulford twin compressor. Big enough to run everything I would want

I hope to have this all set up in the new shed within 12 months and will compile a WIP of the process. I also have a nice big Lucas Mill in the pipeline. A lifetime's worth of ambition & aspirations. Let me know your thoughts, and forgive my obvious skite.

Regards - Wayne

wheelinround
29th November 2013, 10:47 PM
Wayne in the new shed build a 2 room place so I can move in you'll need help restoring those and setting up the Lignotec :p

Hardenfast
30th November 2013, 07:03 AM
Wayne in the new shed build a 2 room place so I can move in you'll need help restoring those and setting up the Lignotec :p

Yes, you'll be most welcome at the new place Ray. I keep forgetting about the Lignotec gear. Would you believe that it's still in the box unpackaged? Even worse, the Hegner VB36 Master Bowl Lathe is still in its crate from England as well. Circumstances have meant that I haven't been able to spend any time at all on my playthings over the last 2-3 years, but I have continued to accumulate bits & pieces for the collection. Hopefully it will all be nicely installed within the next 12 months. You & Sue can come for a run up the F3 (sorry, now the M1) when it's all done.

Wayne

Pat
30th November 2013, 07:14 AM
Excuse me while I drool!

I can take care of the VB36 for you and the Stubby.

How big will the shed be? 50x30?

wheelinround
30th November 2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks Wayne retirement is such fun

Not shocked that everything is still packed building a new home and shed has its priorities what you plans are for setting this all up is awesome.

Hardenfast
30th November 2013, 11:47 AM
Excuse me while I drool! I can take care of the VB36 for you and the Stubby. How big will the shed be? 50x30?

G'day Pat. The new shed will be 18m x 12m (60' x 40' approx) with an additional 12m x 4m (40' x 13') awning roof off one end. I plan to put the Lucas Mill, docking saw/bench, timber racks and blacksmith table & other gear etc out in the awning area, which should leave plenty of room inside for the various machines. It's surprising once you start setting panel saws & lathes just how much area they take up - I want to have a full bathroom/shower/toilet & separate kitchen area in there as well, so I'm sure all of the space will be utilised.

As you may know, the F600 Stubby is a dedicated bowl lathe as is the Hegner VB36. I haven't used either one at this stage, but soon..... soon..

I bought the F600 second hand but it's in very good condition and came with some nice accessories.

The Hegner VB36 was imported from England earlier this year with all the bells & whistles. The packaging crate looks great! This is an internet image of the machine.

Wayne

camoz
30th November 2013, 12:12 PM
Wayne,

A great collection you are forming!! Things have been a bit quite on this sub forum lately, so thanks for sharing. One machine looks very familiar (the Wadkin Jointer, did you buy this from around Gosford way in the past 6 mths)?

This is some history on Martin (German made machines) Experience perfection with MARTIN: 1922 - 1949 (http://www.martin.info/cms/_main/company/history/1922-1949-en.html) do you know what model it is?

I recently picked up a catalogue (1941) on Renniks. This is the cover and introduction:

a bit of Sydney history, just to show not all Australian machines were manufactured in Melbourne:p:stirthepot: (now watch it backfire on me as someone tells me the machines were manufactured in Melbourne for Chas:U).

Looks like you are going to have a really great workshop, looking forward to seeing it develop.

Cheers,

Camo

Barterbuilt
30th November 2013, 02:04 PM
Wayne

That's going to be some shed. The anticipation must be killing you.

Must say that my heart rate went up a couple of notches reading your post.

Not at all jealous, as I too am about to realise a lifetime of planning.

I've got a full toolroom of metalwork machinery and I started to collect old woodwork machinery about twelve months ago, and it's growing nicely. Lucas also on the list.

Please keep us posted on your progress. It will be heaven in a shed :U

Andrew

auscab
30th November 2013, 02:09 PM
Nice one Wayne :C

The Gosford gear , I fell in love with that Wadkin jointer and some one snatched it before the auction ended:C:C

Well,, I had cash flow problems and it was a long long way to pick up as well so I didn't know what to do . :U what a beauty , well done.
I rang the guy and asked what had happened and he told me someone had walked in and made an offer and taken two or three of his machines.

Thanks for showing off your gear , nice Barker disc sander as well. Oh how nice it would be to have no space restrictions.
I have a big 36'' Barker Band saw out back that I will be cleaning up and fitting 5 HP motor to
one day.
Any one know if Macson and Barker related ? the castings on the Macson look exactly the same.

Rob

Hardenfast
30th November 2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Rob, I bet it's the same machine you were looking at. A fairly big joinery business in Raverson Close, Somersby? I bought the Wadkin jointer, the Jonsereds thicknesser and the Wadkin radial arm saw all from there as a package deal - good price too. It turns out that his joinery is only 1 klm from our new property so it was serendipity. To make it even better, all of the equipment was originally purchased by his father in the early days of the joinery... and.... wait for it... his father was apparently a machine fitter for Wadkin in his early days - at least I think that's what he said. So all of the equipment is in pristine working condition - gotta love it!

Like so many joineries now, they have moved most of their production to CNC automated machines so the manual equipment becomes redundant. Anyway, that's good for us. I've since been back and bought the Martin panel saw, the Wadkin spindle moulder, the Renniks shaper, a double-header treadle operated dowelling machine, a large pneumatic dowelling machine for doing panel doors etc, a 4-bag dust extractor system... probably a few other things I've forgotten. Anyway, I've completely blown my play money now so it's off to work I go.

Like to have a look at your 36" Barker band saw when you've got time, or is it already on here?

Andrew, what sort of metalworking equipment have you gathered? I've never used a metal lathe or milling machine, although I have operated a guillotine and a sheet-metal folder, and have plenty of welders etc. My pride & joy at the moment is the blacksmith gear - the big anvil, the massive steel bench and the swage block. I also have a smallish forge which I've never used, but that's about it for metalworking. I'm sharing your enthusiasm for the Lucas Mill - that will be the next/last major investment. What sort of woodworking gear have you got so far?

Camo, thanks for the info on the Martin and the Renniks gear. Interesting that Martin is a German brand - I'll see if I can find the model no info etc on the panel saw. And yes, I understand that Chas E Skinner was based in Sydney but I'm not sure whether he actually manufactured anything or not. I know that he restored a lot of equipment and sold second hand gear, and was successful for quite a while. Apparently Chas Snr died a few years back and Chas Jnr took over the business and opened a commercial premises in Lake Haven on the Central Coast. I bought a few pieces from him earlier this year and he tried to sell me his business and the big shed with everything in it. The price was pretty reasonable too. He wanted to move down to Jindabyne or Thredbo. Apparently he's a bit of a ski-nut and was very keen to do a deal. Anyway, he must have found someone who was willing as he's now gone.

I'll keep you informed as to progress and/or new toys.

Wayne

auscab
30th November 2013, 04:01 PM
Yes it's the same one , Somersby , that sounds right . here's a picture I saved off the eBay listing so I could dream away till one turned up down my way . About 1 thousand K's from me I think.
I reckon that slot in front of the cutter on the front table, the slot for the fence clamp, would come in handy for setting up a pair of 45 deg blocks to machine big bevels with. say on a table leg.
I don't have a rear shot of the Barker band saw ATM, this is from the day that it was picked up.

Rob

camoz
30th November 2013, 06:03 PM
I understand that Chas E Skinner was based in Sydney but I'm not sure whether he actually manufactured anything or not. I know that he restored a lot of equipment and sold second hand gear, and was successful for quite a while.

I can confirm that at least in 1941, they were definately selling machines manufactured in Australia under the Renniks name, these are a few examples from the catalogue:

Cheers,

Camo

camoz
30th November 2013, 06:29 PM
Any one know if Macson and Barker related ? the castings on the Macson look exactly the same.

Rob

Rob,

This is probably a good post to read for more info. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f163/who-real-l-s-barker-173140/ As I understand it, Macson was Macpherson's machines, mainly metalworking, but there were also a few Barker/Macson badged machines, and of cause Macpherson's were definately distributing for L.S. Barker. I think there was definately a close relationship at times, although Matty is probably has more information on this subject.

Cheers,

Camo

Hardenfast
1st December 2013, 09:15 AM
Yes, as well as the distinctively scrolled LS Barker logo, the disc sander also has a Macphersons badge on it, Camo. It clearly shows that they were selling agents for LS Barker and Macson. The other badge is also very interesting, stating:

"This Equipment is the Property of"
"MINISTRY OF MUNITIONS"
"Commonwealth of Australia"
"REG. No. etc"

See the poor images below:

295516 295515

There's probably some fascinating history there, and with the original Registered Number etc it may be able to be researched if I had the time or the inclination. In any case, a truly great machine! I'm really happy with it, even if I'm not exactly sure what to do with it yet?

Thanks for the further info re Renniks. Old Chas E Skinner was obviously somewhat of an entrepreneur and created quite a good niche business manufacturing & selling to an isolated Australian market. Unfortunately there's far too many foreign manufacturers competing for our AUD$ these days, and the great local companies departed long ago.

Rob, that Barker band saw looks very similar to the Macson. I'll be most interested to see what you do with it, or have you already started? Does ot have a cover for the belt-pulley drive?

Wayne

auscab
1st December 2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks Camo I will have to check that link out, I remember seeing that one pass by and not reading much of it.

Wayne, I have not touched it yet. I have the 5 HP motor I want to fit to it.
I dont have a cover for the pulley drive or the wheels so will be making them when I get time. I think I will be doing it up and keeping the aged look about it just giving it a coat of clear estapol , the rubber wheels need re doing as well and I want to try gluing it on and machining it on the machine.
I have a forge as well and would like to give it a cool vintage look with a few forged brackets here and there. If it turns out looking to rough I can then always paint it up as a second option.

Rob

1thumb
1st December 2013, 08:54 PM
Hardenfast

that will be a nice shedfull of woodworking gear:2tsup:, are you planning on stopping once you have one of every brand?:U
just kidding , looking forward to the wip

DSEL74
1st December 2013, 11:14 PM
Nice collection. I'm surprised our resident vintage machine librarian isn't all over this thread……….MATTY!!!

hiroller
9th December 2014, 03:46 PM
There was an Auction earlier today at Lidcombe TAFE in the Saw Doctoring department.
There was lots of fancy sharpening equipment there.
http://www.advanceauctions.com.au/marinecatalogue.xls
http://www.advanceauctions.com.au/MarineAuctions.aspx
I met Hardenfast there adding to his machine portfolio!
We ended up bidding against each other on some Foley Belsaw retoothers.
We both came home with one so I'm hoping to get into action in the new year.

Camoz was also there with his better half picking up a few bits and pieces.

Hardenfast
9th December 2014, 06:54 PM
Nice to see you there Hi Roller.

I wish we had spoken prior to the bidding - I wouldn't have run you up so high on the second re-toother. There were quite a few interesting items there. I just wish my new shed was a little further advanced, in which case I would have had a lash at a few more items. Oh well - plenty of time. These auctions are always good fun. Didn't know Camoz was there also otherwise I would have said hello.

I have just started levelling out for the slab area, which requires a 400mm +/- "cut & fill" because of the lay of the land over the 18m length of the structure. I'll keep taking a series of photos so I can provide a WIP journal of the construction process, as well as the set-out internally. It may be of interest to some here.

hiroller
9th December 2014, 10:34 PM
Nice to meet you. Yes, as the only bidders, it would have been much better for both of us to have met prior!
The friction wheels that drive the flywheel are in poor condition on the retoothers.
I believe you can get replacements from the manufacturer. I'm chasing them up and will let you know how I go. Let me know if you end up with any duplicate ratchet bars.
I have sourced manuals and some tips and tricks for the kit also.

I bumped into Camoz while waiting to collect the kit. You must have left already.

camoz
9th December 2014, 10:37 PM
Camoz was also there with his better half picking up a few bits and pieces.

Hey Hiroller,

Glad we got chatting today, good to see you got to pick something up today. I think the better half tagged along to minimise my bidding...lol.

Didn't know Camoz was there also otherwise I would have said hello

Unfortunately I didn't get chatting with Hiroller until after you left, I think, sorry I didn't get to say hello.

Definitely keep us up to date on your workshop progress, sounds like it will be a great size workshop.

cheers,

Camo

auscab
9th December 2014, 11:13 PM
Just out of interest , did anyone notice what the Hercus lathe went for?
Rob

camoz
10th December 2014, 12:19 AM
Just out of interest , did anyone notice what the Hercus lathe went for?
Rob

Rob,

I am fairly sure it was $1100 plus the 15%, which I think was a really good price with what was with it.

Cheers,

Camo

auscab
10th December 2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks Cam . One of those would be a nice little lathe for making replacement machine parts .
You know , all those lost little bits that mean so much to us machine nuts , the lost bits that keep us up late at night thinking:U

camoz
10th December 2014, 02:11 PM
Thanks Cam . One of those would be a nice little lathe for making replacement machine parts .
You know , all those lost little bits that mean so much to us machine nuts , the lost bits that keep us up late at night thinking:U

Oh boy do I know what you mean. Henry has already set me up with a nice Sheraton 9" (like the one this guy is showing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJpJCiLKcN4

otherwise my wife would have been tying my arms to my waist to stop me bidding:U. Of cause, as always, I need to pull my finger out and give it a bit of a service so I can put it into use (call it my new years resolution...lol).

Funny you should mention missing bits and pieces, going through one of my auction lots today, and thinking some guy is saying "I wish I had the missing collars for my machine"

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/E2A711AB-E829-4819-A9E3-0668C4170A52_zpsngxsqgoh.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/E2A711AB-E829-4819-A9E3-0668C4170A52_zpsngxsqgoh.jpg.html)

I am guessing they are collars for different size blades on a circular saw blade sharpening machine?

I guess that's the downside to buying things at auction.

Cheers,

Camo

DaveTTC
10th December 2014, 02:27 PM
Wayne you are a man after my own heart .... love the machinery. I have some very similar pieces.

Added to the joinery equipment I have about 12 or 13 lathes ... really must do a count.

Can I have your shed?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Hardenfast
11th December 2014, 07:53 AM
Wayne you are a man after my own heart .... love the machinery. I have some very similar pieces.

Added to the joinery equipment I have about 12 or 13 lathes ... really must do a count. Can I have your shed?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

G'day Dave.

12-13 lathes? Really? Makes me sound like a piker. Are they all woodworking beasts? I'll need some details, my friend. You know, I have never used the Stubby F600 yet, and still haven't even taken the Hegner VB36 out of it's packaging crate. Oh well.

Where are you based, by the way?

Wayne

Hardenfast
11th December 2014, 08:10 AM
Unfortunately I didn't get chatting with Hiroller until after you left, I think, sorry I didn't get to say hello. Definitely keep us up to date on your workshop progress, sounds like it will be a great size workshop.

cheers,

Camo

Thanks Camo.

Did you end up picking up anything at the Lidcombe auction? There were quite a few bargains there, as well as some items which seemed to go for too much.

And yes, the new shed has been on the back-burner all year while I concentrated on making an income, which is an ongoing day-to-day concern when you have your own business. I have now managed to clear some trees and commence the excavation and intend to get the floor slab formed up and ready for concrete over the Christmas break. I'm keeping a photo series going to show the various stages.

Wayne

camoz
11th December 2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks Camo.

Did you end up picking up anything at the Lidcombe auction? There were quite a few bargains there, as well as some items which seemed to go for too much.

And yes, the new shed has been on the back-burner all year while I concentrated on making an income, which is an ongoing day-to-day concern when you have your own business. I have now managed to clear some trees and commence the excavation and intend to get the floor slab formed up and ready for concrete over the Christmas break. I'm keeping a photo series going to show the various stages.

Wayne

I basically used bidding on something for Melbourne Matty as an excuse for going to the auction:U.

I threw out a few bids at a few items (before my wife could stop me), but clearly I was interested in the items that seemed to go for too much:roll:. I did pick up a couple of later lots, but they were accessories, which in hindsight was probably a good thing as we bought the small car. Truth be told, I have been dealing with an annoying health issue at the moment (nothing that I won't eventually get under control), but the last thing I need right now is another large piece of machinery to move into the workshop.

Cheers,

Camo

DaveTTC
11th December 2014, 05:12 PM
G'day Wayne,

I am in Jerilderie NSW, about 70 km north of the Murray River. Having a get together her on the Australia Day weekend if you are interested, still have not posted it.

As for lathes, most are goers

1) I have a home made one with about 600mm swing and turns upto 2700mm between centres
2) Nova 3000
3) MC 1100 Hafco
4) Jet Mini
5) exTafe Lathe about 8' between centres, 3 Phase
6, 7)Herbert Albert x 2
8, 9) Shopsmith 10er x 2
10) Myford 7 (I think) with optional metal turning attachments
11) Brand unknown cast little lathe with 1" RHS mono rail. Old and about 3' long
12) Latest - Summerton
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=190706

13) Added to this I have a Mascot Cholchester http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=188091 metal lathe about 1000mm between centres

EDIT

14) Wooden Treadle Lathe - Just walked outside to see some visitors off and almost tripped over my wooden Lathe on the front veranda

and about to pic up another one similar this will be 15.

I did see a TL1500 in Adelaide for a good deal when I was there, good thing no one answered the phone

No I am not addicted

Where abouts are you?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

wheelinround
12th December 2014, 08:35 AM
G'day Dave.

still haven't even taken the Hegner VB36 out of it's packaging crate. Oh well.

Wayne

I keep telling you I'll gladly come up remove the packing and the grease/wax set it up and the other box you have not opened yet and hand you written appraisal as well as verbal while doing so.:U

wheelinround
12th December 2014, 08:41 AM
Dave can you post pic of Myford as I think you mean ML8 which is wood lathe ML7 is the metal lathe.

Oh and pic of treadle one too please:U

DaveTTC
12th December 2014, 10:20 AM
Dave can you post pic of Myford as I think you mean ML8 which is wood lathe ML7 is the metal lathe.

Oh and pic of treadle one too please:U

Will try to tomorrow. Out of town today.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Hardenfast
12th December 2014, 09:58 PM
I keep telling you I'll gladly come up remove the packing and the grease/wax set it up and the other box you have not opened yet and hand you written appraisal as well as verbal while doing so.:U

Yes, you & Sue will be among the first invited guests Ray. Have only just started the earthworks to level the slab area out, so a long way to go. However I have actually commenced, so all spare time will now be devoted to the big shed project.

The other box? Oh yes, you mean the Ligno gear. You know, it will actually be exciting to unpack some of the stuff that's been sitting around in boxes & crates for several years. Stuff that I've completely forgotten about, like my big collection of meat cleavers. Don't ask me why I've collected them, but they will make an impressive display one day.

Wayne

wheelinround
12th December 2014, 10:58 PM
Meat cleavers :rolleyes: all you'll need is a cork board and someone to throw them at. Could come in handy if you bread a few Deer, Alpaca Pigs all which will go well on a spit at the grand opening.