PDA

View Full Version : Some of my recent Corian turnings.

Sturdee
29th November 2013, 10:13 PM
As mentioned in my workshop upgrade posts I have been doing some more turnings. Here are some of my Corian turning efforts.

The first are my red/white/blue, being the colours of the Dutch flag, laminated turnings. It is based on the concept of Dennis Keeling from his book on segmented turning.

Squares of Corian are glued together to form a cube, which is cut diagonally on the band saw to give two turning blanks. This way gives rather interesting patterns making each look quite different.

Rather fiddly to cut to reasonable turning blanks as all the cuts need supporting in a cradle to make it safe.

So the first photos are the two bowls
295311 and 295309

and the obligatory bottom views.

295310 and 295312

Enjoy,

Peter.

Sturdee
29th November 2013, 10:19 PM
As I have a bit of thick lime green Corian and thin white Corian I laminated them to make this bowl. Fairly thick and heavy but still interesting. Still working on what are suitable shapes and thicknesses for the Corian as it is quite different from wood.

295313 and 295314

Enjoy,

Peter.

Sturdee
29th November 2013, 10:22 PM
Preparing the lamination's for the bowl I cut of more then I needed so I made a small desk top container for paperclips etc.

This was more fun to do then the big bowl.

295315 and 295316

Enjoy,

Peter.

wheelinround
29th November 2013, 10:23 PM
Peter they look fantastic prefer the colours of the RWB the segmenting is brilliant no glue lines to be seen on either 2nd edited to add and the third one looks very retro 50's

Good to see alternative materials used.

Sturdee
29th November 2013, 10:29 PM
Finally today's effort. I made three red/white/black small trinket holders.

My friend, the Corian supplier, has a daughter in law and niece who are mad keen one eyed Saints supporters. So each Christmas I make something for him to give them as a Christmas present in the St Kilda colours being red/white/black. Previous years I made pendants and armbands so this year the small trinkets holders and I will keep one for my collection.

295317 and 295318

Enjoy,

Peter.

Ad de Crom
29th November 2013, 10:43 PM
Peter, I saw this before, I think.
I really do like this laminated work, surprisingly beautiful.
Corian is a product of DuPont isn't it.
Ad :2tsup:

Sturdee
29th November 2013, 10:50 PM
Peter, I saw this before, I think.
I really do like this laminated work, surprisingly beautiful.
Corian is a product of DuPont isn't it.
Ad :2tsup:

Ad,

Thanks Ad, but you are confused with some earlier Corian turnings I posted, like the red/green/black square bowl and ball and the black/white bowl .

These ones I have only done during the last month and Corian is made by DuPont. It is a rather expense benchtop type of material and I'm lucky to have found a regular supplier of of cuts.

Peter.

Sturdee
29th November 2013, 11:05 PM
Good to see alternative materials used.

I've also been playing with a plywood/acrylic combination and with laminated bamboo turnings. I'll post some tomorrow.

Peter.

Dalboy
30th November 2013, 12:43 AM
Very nice bowls I have turned corian before but not attempted to laminate it I use mine to make coasters which I glue the corian in with silicon to allow movement especially on the larger peices. What glue do you use to glue the corian to corian.

Sturdee
30th November 2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the kind comments.

The glue I use is medium density CA glue. As one side of Corian is already polished I rough it up by lightly sandpapering with 240/320 grit before glue up. After glueing I clamp it firm but not too tight that I squeeze out all the glue and then leave it for a couple days to fully cure. If you don't do that it's likely to separate during turning.

Because on large jobs you have to work very fast with CA glue I usually do it in segments, so a glue up could take a week before it's ready to turn.

Peter.

Dalboy
30th November 2013, 09:53 AM
Thank you :2tsup::2tsup: for that I have used superglue for small pieces but was just not sure on larger ones like yours

rsser
30th November 2013, 11:39 AM
Striking and creative work Peter.

dai sensei
30th November 2013, 08:29 PM
Very eye catching indeed. Look forward to seeing them hopefully on the weekend