PDA

View Full Version : VL175 or VL 200?

roundnbrown
30th November 2013, 02:26 PM
I'm going to treat myself to one of these but I'm not sure which .

The VL175 stand mount EVS lists at CSW for $4268 (less outboard turning thingy) and the VL200 for $4400 so 3% price difference trivial.

Is the extra 25mm over the bed on the 200 a big benefit when I could rotate the VL175 headstock to the first position and maybe get an extra 25mm that way and even use the supplied standard toolrest?

Any comments welcome.

Jim Carroll
30th November 2013, 05:04 PM
Really comes down to what you want to do with the lathe.

If a lot of spindle turning both will work ok

If a lot of bowl turning then the swivel head can be handy .

One disadvantage with the swivel head is that you have no tailstock support if needed for fugly peices if they wont fit inboard.

Another option is the VL300 short bed (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/vicmarc-vl300smlevs-2hp) as you can get closer to the headstock if needed and still have tailstock support on the awkward peices and gives you 600mm over the bed.And at $4990 only a bit more than your other lathes.

You also have the option of puting a 500mm or 1m extension if you need to do longer spindle turning.
With the new VL300 you can also put the bed extension on the outboard side if you want to work closer.

Scott
30th November 2013, 06:19 PM
I've got the VL175 and to date haven't been limited be the swing. The outboard option is great for small boxes when you want to look down the guts. A great lathe. And make sure you get the stand mount, Jim will tell you this. My late is rock solid and I haven't even got it bolted to the ground, it hasn't moved a millimetre since I bought it. The Vicmarc brand, IMHO, equates to nirvana :)

brendan stemp
1st December 2013, 12:29 PM
The swivel head is a significant feature as far as I am concerned. Sooooo good for bowl turning, no matter what size. Not having to lean over a lathe bed makes it so much easier and more comfortable an exercise. I would buy (and recommend) the 175 over the 200 (or even 300) without hesitation.

dai sensei
1st December 2013, 08:07 PM
If you are into big bowls etc, you could always wait to see how much the 600 is going to be worth :rolleyes:

roundnbrown
1st December 2013, 11:21 PM
Brendan

Are you using the outboard turning attachment ( which one) all the time?

What size bowl blank can you turn without that .( ie with the head rotated only one position? . Reason for asking is the outboard turning tool rests are not cheap

brendan stemp
2nd December 2013, 07:28 AM
Brendan

Are you using the outboard turning attachment ( which one) all the time?

What size bowl blank can you turn without that .( ie with the head rotated only one position? . Reason for asking is the outboard turning tool rests are not cheap

The short answer: I have the Vicmarc outboard attachment but don't use it much because I don't turn much in the way of big stuff. Without checking and without rotating the head stock much you could easily match the capacity of the VL200 and forgo the need for the O/B attach.

The longer answer: You need to question seriously any desire to turn big bowls and therefore the desire to get a big capacity lathe for this purpose. There is very little need for big bowls and platters out in the big wide world and there are only so many family members and friends to whom you can give them. And, for most people, there is only so much room on the mantle and under the bed to store these big pieces. Most people will like big bowl but won't want them because it is often a case of where to put it?? So to buy a lathe with a big capacity to make a handful of big bowls and then mainly use it for smaller stuff seems pointless to me. And to buy a big capacity lathe at the expense of a swivel head lathe is unwise. 80% (conservatively) of the stuff I turn could be done on my VL150 but I choose to use the the VL175 almost exclusively particulary when I am doing bowls.

Remember most lathes are a compromise between a bowl or spindle turning device and there aren't too many bowl lathes on the market. Even with the Stubby you have a bed that gets in the way as with the short bed VL300. The best combination lathe I have seen is the VB36 from the UK but the price makes it out of most peoples reach.

So, for me the decision would be an easy one; the VL175, unless you could afford to buy the VL300 as well.:D

Jim Carroll
2nd December 2013, 08:34 AM
Another thing to consider with long bed against short bed lathes is the length.

A long bed lathe needs an area of 2m long by 700mm deep, can you accomodate a lathe that size.

The short bed version comes in at 1300mm long by 700mm deep

george mavridis
16th August 2014, 05:11 PM
How would a VL200 short bed figure in this mix?

Jim Carroll
16th August 2014, 05:33 PM
How would a VL200 short bed figure in this mix?

If it does what you want it to do then it will be very good.

You can add a bed extension if needed for longer work

Mobyturns
16th August 2014, 09:04 PM
I agree with Brendan & Jim, sit down and think about what you really turn, and what you may realistically want to turn in the future. Your new lathe has to be very comfortable, like a daily drive, for the 90-95% of work you really do and not the 5-10% on the roundtuit wish list.

I've just taken delivery of a new VL150 and have been through what you are facing now. Which model Vicmarc??? I also have the luxury of a Woodfast M908 with M910 VS retrofitted. The Woodfast has an OB turning attachment that I rarely use. The VL150 was an easy decision for me - and it simply purrs - classy machinery.

One thing about the Vicmarcs they really are like the BMW's or Merc's of the turning world - choosing the right model for you is the tough decision - and only you know the correct answer.

Woodturnerjosh
16th August 2014, 11:03 PM
I currently have the 200 which is a great lathe but I'm planning on upgrading to the VL240 this year. I know it's more expensive but if bowls are you area of interest that's what I would be looking at.

jefferson
17th August 2014, 07:40 PM
I have 3 Vicmarcs and the one I turn on all the time (like pro Brendan Stemp) is the VL 175. I would highly recommend it. I have an older long bed VL 300 that doesn't get used much, except for spindle work using two banjos. Nice to have but not essential if you have a Stubby 750 as well.

Paul39
19th August 2014, 02:00 AM
RoundNbrown,

Don't limit yourself, get one of these:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachments/f19/42791d1326816425-1919-oliver-lathe-oliver-no.-18-.jpg

and one of these: http://www.lathes.co.uk/wadkin/img1.jpg

And have done with it. :D:D:D

Uncle Al
19th August 2014, 08:54 AM
RoundNbrown,

Don't limit yourself, get one of these:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachments/f19/42791d1326816425-1919-oliver-lathe-oliver-no.-18-.jpg

and one of these: http://www.lathes.co.uk/wadkin/img1.jpg

And have done with it. :D:D:D

He'll need a mate with a BIG trailer and a couple more mates to help him load and unload them into his recently extended workshop. Might pay to pump up the tyres on the trailer before they go too far.
Getting 3 phase power connected to the workshop would be a very minor problem once the transport and installation have been done.
I would imagine a slab or two as payment for the mates time and effort would be in order.:D

If he does decide to go with your suggestion, I will volunteer to take progress photos of the whole pick-up and install process and post them here.:D

Alan...

Paul39
19th August 2014, 09:56 AM
Alan,

The long Oliver was sold as surplus by the US Navy a couple years ago. It had been used to turn spars for sailing ships. The person who bought it was going to keep it intact and use it.

It sold for $8700.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=4988568 The auction photos have been removed, and I apparently did not download a set. It was setting outside, sad and lonely, and getting rusty.

Another photo from the Oliver plant:

http://www.eaglemachinery-repair.com/Oliver%20b&w.jpg

It was one of a kind.

Uncle Al
19th August 2014, 11:32 AM
Paul39 - Probably a good thing it had been sold, I just noticed the original poster is in Perth, a darn long drive from southern Sydney to take some photos.
Thanks for the links to those old lathes, they sure don't make them these days like they used to. They make a Vicmarc VL300 long bed look like a pup.
As to the original question, I can't really say which Vicmarc to go with, except that I would be very happy with either machine.

Happy turning,

Alan...

Christos
27th August 2014, 08:29 PM
Paul39 - Probably a good thing it had been sold, I just noticed the original poster is in Perth, a darn long drive from southern Sydney to take some photos........

It might be a bit of a surprise, :o but you would have been able to fly there.

Uncle Al
28th August 2014, 10:07 AM
It might be a bit of a surprise, :o but you would have been able to fly there.

Flying never entered my mind for some reason. I have never been to Perth (yet), and am a bit curious to see the wide open expanses of the Nullarbor Plain.

Alan...