PDA

View Full Version : Critique Please

Oldgreybeard
4th December 2013, 01:45 PM

Oak Plate:
Size - 225mm x 30mm.
Finish - Sanded 240 to 1500 grit, 0000 steel wool, Ubeaut EEE, Ubeaut Tradtional Wax

295991 295990

Figured Jarrah Bowl:
Size 320mm x 45mm
Finish -Sanded 240 to 2000 grit, 0000 steel wool, Ubeaut EEE, Ubeaut Tradtional Wax

Afrormosia Tray and Pine Bowl:
Size:
Tray - 275mm x 20mm
Bowl - 140mm x 60mm

The bowl needs an explanation. It is the result of 2 MISTAKES. Firstly what I thought was a Red Gum foot from a bed, turned out to be a number of pieces of pine (all different sizes and shapes) which had been glued together and stained / lacquer to look like red Gum. Deciding that the grain patterns looked interesting, I decided to go ahead and turn the bowl and then stain it dark Walnut (just because that was what I had available). Now the major mistake - in my enthusiastic haste, I applied the stain before i had completed sanding!!

Not to worry, I thought, I will wipe of the stain, complete the sanding and restain - simple. However when i wiped off the stain and the bowl started to dry, the grain patterns became exagerated and I like it so decided to just finish the sanding and not restain. However when sanding the insidde of the bowl I had another surprise - as I sanded away the scratches left by the 150 grit sanding before the stain was applied, I was getting concentric rings where the top of the scratch became lighter in colour and the bottom remained darker. It looks like a lousy sanding job, but is really very smooth. Now I was getting confident and decided to prove that I could produce the effect intentionally, so turned my attention to the ouside rim and sanded back the surface stain to show the original pine tone. I think it made my mistakes look like an intentional technique! Finish was completed with 2 coats Ubeaut Traditional Wax.

So over to you - a disaster or an acceptable salvage?

smiife
4th December 2013, 08:48 PM
hi ogb,
62 views and no critques????????????the only way to learn
is by making mistakes....

firstly welcome to the forum:U
if you have just started turning then you are doing very well:2tsup:
my only comments would be.... loose the little bowl and use it as a chip'n'dip
platter,and the foot or base on the oak plate[i think maybe silky oak]
needs to be smaller to stand it up a bit ,,other than those minor
details i think they look great well done:2tsup:
hope you don't mind my 2 bob's worth but you did ask!!!!!!!!!
look forward to seeing more of your work
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Christos
4th December 2013, 09:35 PM
I love the shape of the Jarrah Bowl.

rod1949
4th December 2013, 09:57 PM
They all look bloody fantastic to me

Colin62
4th December 2013, 11:35 PM
I love the shape of the Jarrah Bowl.

Wot he said. :)

SNAFU11
5th December 2013, 04:31 AM
IMO they look great...i love the Afrormosia Tray,Nice timber...:2tsup:

Mick!!!

Oldgreybeard
5th December 2013, 07:34 AM
hi ogb,
62 views and no critques????????????the only way to learn
is by making mistakes....

firstly welcome to the forum:U
if you have just started turning then you are doing very well:2tsup:
my only comments would be.... loose the little bowl and use it as a chip'n'dip
platter,and the foot or base on the oak plate[i think maybe silky oak]
needs to be smaller to stand it up a bit ,,other than those minor
details i think they look great well done:2tsup:
hope you don't mind my 2 bob's worth but you did ask!!!!!!!!!
look forward to seeing more of your work
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Thanks smife,:U
My thought was that the bowl would hold cheese cubes, cabana ,etc and be surrounded by dry biscuits or whatever.
The oak plate is definitely not silky oak. It was from a tree cut down in a local park ( I have about 1/2 tonne) - I was told by the tree feller that it ws probably Enlish white oak, I really can't be sure and would appreciate any advice.

artme
5th December 2013, 09:58 AM
I think smife has said it all OGB. Ilike your work!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Don't quite agree abot the small dip bowl, I think it looks interesting as a contrast.

chuck1
5th December 2013, 09:16 PM
all peice to be proud of! a bit more curve in the out side curve of the oak bowl with the rim. I would be thinking of putting them in your local show!

Paul39
9th December 2013, 01:15 PM
Oldgraybeard,

Nice pieces. The oak looks a lot like our local red oak. (North Carolina, USA) Lovely figure.