PDA

View Full Version : Signing work

Oldgreybeard
8th December 2013, 11:14 AM
I have not been in the practice of signing my work in any permanent way. What is the best way to do this - pyrography, dremel or are there other ways?

I would be interested in hearing what you are all doing.

Bob

Christos
8th December 2013, 02:15 PM
I just started signing my work and I have been using a pen just before applying the finish.

pommyphil
8th December 2013, 04:57 PM
Same same, pen under the finish. Name, date and wood.

John T
8th December 2013, 05:09 PM
hi i have had a self inking stamp made and stamp my projects prior to spraying, and it is protected from ware in the future.
john t.

corbs
8th December 2013, 07:25 PM
CD marking texta after the finish has been applied :)

TTIT
8th December 2013, 10:28 PM
I used to just put my initials on with a felt-pen but as my hands get 'less supple!', it was getting to look more like chook scratchings so I sent a picture of what I wanted to this mob (http://www.artdesignmake.com.au/stamps.html). About $140 and well worth it in my book for a very professional looking mark (IMHO) I can use on all my flat-stuff as well!

I'd show you a pic but I just can't find one at the moment!! :B

Paul39
9th December 2013, 04:30 AM
I make my bowls, mushrooms, and weed pots slightly concave on the bottom so that the area I sign doesn't get abraded. I finish the turning, almost always tung oil finish, let dry overnight, sign & number with a permanent sharpy, let dry a couple hours and put on a final coat of finish.

I like the idea of a burning tip or Dremel but have had some accidents with the Dremel. Easier to fix the marking when using a sharpy.

issatree
9th December 2013, 06:03 PM
Hi Bob,
I've been signing my work since about 1983, but I have changed it a bit since then.
I use an Artline 200 Black 0.4 Felt Tip, Make, for many years now. A Pen will last approx 7 - 8 months, if you keep the top on.
Nothing has shifted it to date. I find it doesn't work to good on Jarrah.
I never use EEE over the Writing as it is a Abrasive Polish.
The other Polishes do not affect it at all.
So I write my name, Address, Geelong, Australia, then Print the Date, & Print the Wood.
I run the Numbers into one another eg. M9122013. You just have to watch it on 1112013 or 1122013 & similar.
To Close, I'm Proud of my work, so I Sign everything that is possible to Sign.