PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood Bowl

brendan stemp
9th December 2013, 08:33 PM
It's a busy time of year for me. I get a lot of people placing orders for Christmas presents, particularly from those going overseas to visit friends or relatives.

This Blackwood bowl is destined for England (I think). Approx 250mm diam and 75mm deep. Around the rim are gumnuts cast in epoxy resin and then turned. Finished with nitrocellulose lacquer.

C&C welcome.

cookie48
9th December 2013, 08:52 PM
Brendan.
I like that very much. To me it looks like the gum nuts are holding a separate rim around it. Very nice. Well done as usual.

Cliff Rogers
9th December 2013, 10:08 PM
:2tsup:

TTIT
9th December 2013, 10:12 PM
Big nuts Mate! :; Wonderful looking bowl Brendan - couldn't get much more Aussie than that for a souvenir :2tsup:

Willy Nelson
10th December 2013, 12:17 AM
Looks Fantastic, BZ
WIlly
Jarrahland

Dalboy
10th December 2013, 03:18 AM
Great looking bowl like the addition of the gumnuts in resin sets the rim off nicely

This Blackwood bowl is destined for England (I think).

Well I am in England do you want my address to send it to :;:;:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

SNAFU11
10th December 2013, 04:35 AM
WOW Brendan i really like that mate....Nice :2tsup:

Mick!!!

chuck1
10th December 2013, 05:54 AM
that's cool! how long did it take to master the resin, gumnut to bowl ratio?

brendan stemp
10th December 2013, 07:55 AM
looks fantastic, bz
willy
jarrahland

"bz"??

brendan stemp
10th December 2013, 07:58 AM
that's cool! how long did it take to master the resin, gumnut to bowl ratio?

Nothing to Master, Chuck. With this type of bowl I always do more than one pour and always have another project on the go to pour any excess resin. So no resin is wasted.

artme
10th December 2013, 08:08 AM
:o Man oh man!! that is some beautiful piece of Blackwood - just for starters!!

The overall effect is outstanding!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dai sensei
10th December 2013, 09:43 AM
Looks great there Brendan :2tsup:

Shame you didn't make it to the casting demo weekend at Donvale (see http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/donvale-casting-stabilising-day-179617/). I didn't bring any casting epoxy with me and needed some. You could have demo'd that plus bring some along to sell.

I love the gumnuts, but have you been trying any other seed pods lately? I found some very unusual (for me anyway) Cypress seed pods, they were fully open, so like little 3D molecular shapes with an interesting speckled colour on the joints. Liquid Amber pods also have a beehive pattern if you turn to expose the middle of the pods.

Cheers

tea lady
10th December 2013, 11:32 AM
Looks great there Brendan :2tsup:

Shame you didn't make it to the casting demo weekend at Donvale (see http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/donvale-casting-stabilising-day-179617/). I didn't bring any casting epoxy with me and needed some. You could have demo'd that plus bring some along to sell.

I love the gumnuts, but have you been trying any other seed pods lately? I found some very unusual (for me anyway) Cypress seed pods, they were fully open, so like little 3D molecular shapes with an interesting speckled colour on the joints. Liquid Amber pods also have a beehive pattern if you turn to expose the middle of the pods.

CheersMight be a good thread subject. "What seed pods look like inside" :cool: With pics.

Love the bowl Brendan. :U

Christos
10th December 2013, 12:16 PM
I like the idea and the finished bowl.

I have seen some of your videos on casting but can recall the finished item on the video.

turnerted
10th December 2013, 03:57 PM
Fantastic bowl Brenden.
I can't see any connection between the bowl and rim other than resin and gumnuts.Did you cast into a groove then turn the bottom of the groove off?

powderpost
10th December 2013, 10:13 PM
Quite unique... excellent.. :2tsup:
Jim

Treecycle
10th December 2013, 10:29 PM
Magnificent Brenden. As said earlier, the perfect Aussie souvenir.