PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc chuck problem

man from uncle
9th December 2013, 10:04 PM
Is this the right forum?

I have acquired an old v90 chuck. However the jaw sliders have come out and I am having great difficult putting them back correctly
The manual on the Vicmarc website does not give full instructions for v90
i thought it would be the obvious order, sliders in 1,2,3,4. But clearly not.

Can anyone help and advise what order the sliders go in, and how the body needs to be orientated
I appreciate any assistance
Many thanks

Sturdee
9th December 2013, 10:30 PM
Have a look at the video's from on how to clean and reassemble chucks in the video section.I'm sure he covered it.

Peter.

Mobyturns
10th December 2013, 06:46 AM
For the VM90 chuck the stop pin position is slide #4 - the one with the small milled recess in the end. Slide #1 position is the next position clock wise with the chuck face up. Place #1 in the chuck slide and advance the scroll to engage the backing slide; then insert #2, advance the scroll etc untill #4 is inserted. Close up the jaws to check the match in the centre.

Lower RHS is #4 - the stop pin position; lower LHS is #1; with #3 being inserted - note the scroll has been advanced a little too far but only for clarity in the photo.

Remember to reinsert the stop pin - it is a very significant safety feature to prevent dangerous operation of the chuck with over extended jaws.

man from uncle
10th December 2013, 08:21 PM
For the VM90 chuck the stop pin position is slide #4 - the one with the small milled recess in the end. Slide #1 position is the next position clock wise with the chuck face up. Place #1 in the chuck slide and advance the scroll to engage the backing slide; then insert #2, advance the scroll etc untill #4 is inserted. Close up the jaws to check the match in the centre.

Lower RHS is #4 - the stop pin position; lower LHS is #1; with #3 being inserted - note the scroll has been advanced a little too far but only for clarity in the photo.

Remember to reinsert the stop pin - it is a very significant safety feature to prevent dangerous operation of the chuck with over extended jaws.

I have tried that already to no avail. The vicmarc support gave me same advice but the jaws don't meet in the middle

some of the other vicmarc chucks, the sliders are anti-clockwise . On the back of the chuck the previous owner has inscribed the following, inserts, 2,3,4,1

does this mean anything to anyone?

Mobyturns
10th December 2013, 09:37 PM
I have tried that already to no avail. The vicmarc support gave me same advice but the jaws don't meet in the middle

some of the other vicmarc chucks, the sliders are anti-clockwise . On the back of the chuck the previous owner has inscribed the following, inserts, 2,3,4,1

Perhaps they have been stamped incorrectly? Lay out the backing slides scroll side up and set in order of smallest offset to largest offset on the inner side of the slides. Then insert smallest offset first ending with the stop pin slide corresponding to the stop pin.

issatree
11th December 2013, 05:49 PM
Hi MFU,
When you get the 4 Sliders just sitting in, find a couple of those red rubber bands, & put them on & around the outside of the sliders, as this puts a bit of pressure, so as to help push them in.

Then Wind the Chuck Backwards, & wait for the 4 Clicks. To also make it easier, squirt some Graphite Power in the workings of the chuck.

I presume that you washed it in Petrol first, to clean out all the grease, & dust.

If & when you get it right, mark the Body with a Pneumatic Punch, not to close to the edge, with 1 to 4 punch mark to the corresponding Sliders.

Still another idea is to also mark the The Jaws as well, so then everything comes into line.

Well that is the way I have done my 4 Nova Chucks, & I realise that you have the Vicmarc , but now I have no problems, at all.

That's my 2sence worth.

Treecycle
12th December 2013, 10:34 AM

Maybe you could try inserting them in the order stated on the back of the chuck. Could it be that those jaws do not match that chuck, and by starting the fitting sequence at No.2 jaw instead of No.1 they may centralise correctly. (No.1 will be the last jaw inserted)
Are the numbers written on the back in line with jaw positions, or is it just a sequence written on the back?
Mobyturns suggestion of checking the back of the jaws is also a good idea to see if the number sequence matches the change of position of the scroll teeth. If unsure what we are referring to, take of photo of the sliders laying teeth side up and side by side in the correct No. sequence (1 - 4) and post it here so we can look at them.
I just went back and had another look at the original photo you posted and the 2 sliders you have already put in look very even in relation to the line around the chuck.

Mobyturns
12th December 2013, 09:20 PM
Maybe you could try inserting them in the order stated on the back of the chuck. Could it be that those jaws do not match that chuck, and by starting the fitting sequence at No.2 jaw instead of No.1 they may centralise correctly. (No.1 will be the last jaw inserted)
Are the numbers written on the back in line with jaw positions, or is it just a sequence written on the back?
Mobyturns suggestion of checking the back of the jaws is also a good idea to see if the number sequence matches the change of position of the scroll teeth. If unsure what we are referring to, take of photo of the sliders laying teeth side up and side by side in the correct No. sequence (1 - 4) and post it here so we can look at them.
I just went back and had another look at the original photo you posted and the 2 sliders you have already put in look very even in relation to the line around the chuck.

I think you are a little confused. :? The photo was posted by me. I know how to fit the sides & how to service chucks. :wink: Man from Uncle is the one having the problem & hasn't posted a photo, that I have seen.

Treecycle
12th December 2013, 09:36 PM
Sorry Mobyturns, trying to fit too many things in during my lunch break and not checking for correctness before posting.:doh: At least your chuck looks okay.