PDA

View Full Version : Nova Infinity System

hughie
11th December 2013, 08:40 AM
Now this is interesting, now this is a game changer. Less chucks, more accessories, available Jan 1 2014.

HOME (http://www.novainfinitychuck.com/)

Treecycle
11th December 2013, 01:06 PM
Certainly looks like a game changer. I see at the end of the video that the presenter says that the pen plus jaws will retail for $39. I bet we are asked to pay a lot more for them here.
The video was released in early October so the new system was already in the market place, but no supplier alerted us to them at the Melbourne WWW show. New inevations are what is missing from these shows. That is what a lot of us go to see.:(

artme
11th December 2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the post Hughie. Most Interesting!

I have a super nova2 chuck. Muast check things out.

Mobyturns
11th December 2013, 10:19 PM
I like seeing new products that resolve issues for wood turners, but more importantly ones that remove hazards and improve safety. I have been watching the development & release of the Infinity chuck jaw holding mechanism and others like the Easy Wood Tools - Easy Chuck, Robert Sorby Patriot chucks.

Great to see innovation in wood turning tools & accessories, however I have some strong reservations about the design of the Infinity Chuck and the satisfactory long term performance of the new system.

Have a very good read of the product manual. There are some Additional Safety Note warnings in there that are not included in other manufacturers chuck manuals.

Colin62
11th December 2013, 11:13 PM
I think serious turners end up with quite a few chucks, and don't have to change jaws all that often. I don't often change jaws in the middle of a project anyway, and if I'm starting something new, then it's not as big a deal to spend a little time getting the right jaws in the chuck - it's part of my preparation to start working.

Those that have only one or two chucks tend to be less serious, and certainly not professionals, so there's less pressure for quick changes.

At the price they want for a set the upgrade slides and jaw set, I could buy another chuck with two sets of jaws.

DaveTTC
12th December 2013, 12:06 AM
I'll be happy to see more of this, and a price

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Paul39
12th December 2013, 03:17 AM
Buy Nova Infinity Upgrade Slide Set for Titan Chuck at Woodcraft.com (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/0/45251/nova-infinity-upgrade-slide-set-for-titan-chuck.aspx)

Mobyturns
12th December 2013, 08:37 AM
Buy Nova Infinity Upgrade Slide Set for Titan Chuck at Woodcraft.com (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/0/45251/nova-infinity-upgrade-slide-set-for-titan-chuck.aspx)

Perhaps two of these would be a better long term proposition Buy TEKNATOOL SuperNova2 at Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005199/4174/Teknatool-SuperNova2-Chuck.aspx)

wheelinround
12th December 2013, 06:02 PM
Looks interesting imagine just one chuck required from now on and a draw full of jaws and inserts to suit the lathes.

Will I race out and order a set not likely I enjoy changing jaws dropping the screw in the shavings using the magnet to find them.

Look forward to seeing "who's first"

DaveTTC
12th December 2013, 07:56 PM
Ray ... Buy me one. You can have the satisfaction of knowing who got one first and still use the magnet to find your screws. ;)

Oh and I'll be you BFF :)

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

wheelinround
13th December 2013, 08:06 AM
Ray ... Buy me one. You can have the satisfaction of knowing who got one first and still use the magnet to find your screws. ;)

Oh and I'll be you BFF :)

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Dave that sounds fair :rolleyes: I'll even test run it for 12 months just to make sure its perfect in everyway

DaveTTC
13th December 2013, 08:22 AM
Dave that sounds fair :rolleyes: I'll even test run it for 12 months just to make sure its perfect in everyway

Thanks mate

Your too good

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Paul39
13th December 2013, 10:51 AM
Instead of mucking about changing chucks and jaws, have a big lathe with big chuck and big jaws, and a smaller lathe with smaller chuck and smaller jaws. See 's shed.

As to dropping screws, a big cake pan from a junk store or one from your kitchen after buying a new one is handy. Put pan on bench or lathe bed, chuck in pan and swap away.

An extra set plus two from an engineers shop of high strength screws is nice to have when you drop a screw into chips piled over your boots on a Sunday afternoon.

Some days I can lose a chuck in the chips in my shed.

Pat
13th December 2013, 11:03 AM
Can you run these in the reverse direction?

Ray, I'll keep my 6 chucks, allows me to have multiple projects on the go :q

wheelinround
13th December 2013, 06:55 PM

Same here Pat and with two lathes small and mid size I am more than happy only need to make the Longworth's it will happen.:U

Mobyturns
13th December 2013, 09:16 PM

There is a warning inn their "Additional Safety Notes" not to run it in reverse or without a workpiece in the chuck.

Some extracts from the Infinity manual,

18. DO NOT ROTATE CHUCK UNDER POWER WITHOUT WOOD BEING GRIPPED

21 DO NOT TURN IN REVERSE. Do not use this chuck for reverse turning operations, light reverse operations i.e. sanding are allowed. Speed not above 2000 rpm.

27 DO NOT USE WITH ANY COPYTURNER OPERATIONS

29 WARNING FOR <st1:stockticker>SAFE</st1:stockticker> OPERATION. DO NOT EXTEND JAW SLIDES BEYOND CHUCK BODY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

Troubleshooting Guide

Problem
4. Jaw Slides closed to centre and No. 1 slide stays in centre when jaws are expanded again.

Possible Cause and Solution
Jaw Slide(s) have over travelled from scroll. It will be necessary to tap back No 1 jaw slide until it has re-engaged. See 'insertion of jaw slide' in this manual.

Colin62
13th December 2013, 09:21 PM
18. DO NOT ROTATE CHUCK UNDER POWER WITHOUT WOOD BEING GRIPPED

21 DO NOT TURN IN REVERSE. Do not use this chuck for reverse turning operations, light reverse operations i.e. sanding are allowed. Speed not above 2000 rpm.

Those two worry me.

Sometimes you just can't beat a good screw or two.

Mobyturns
13th December 2013, 09:54 PM
If you want to have a look at the guts of the chuck go here Go Quick Change (http://www.novainfinitychuck.com/go-quick-change.html)

rsser
14th December 2013, 04:19 PM
Good to see the 'tool company innovating again. I think that's clever. I hope their machining is up to it.

I never tried it but some turners have: knock out the stop pin from your Vicmarc chuck having fitted slide spares permanently to your jaws. Just feed them in instead of dealing with 8 screws. Of course this too could lead to embarrassment.

Mobyturns
14th December 2013, 09:25 PM
Good to see the 'tool company innovating again. I think that's clever. I hope their machining is up to it.

I never tried it but some turners have: knock out the stop pin from your Vicmarc chuck having fitted slide spares permanently to your jaws. Just feed them in instead of dealing with 8 screws. Of course this too could lead to embarrassment.

Works in the metal trades.