PDA

View Full Version : Lathe upgrade at last.

Osbojo
11th December 2013, 11:50 AM
I've been looking to replace my old MC1100 for a bit of a while with something with a bit more grunt, swing over the bed, quality, etc. I just happened to check out the Carbatec site to swoon and slobber over the lathe section and found that they has a price of $2700(ish) on the DVR 2024 down from about $4400. I rang Carby in a cold sweat and they knew nothing about it but verified that the website was correct. I couldn't place my order quick enough! They are shipping it down from Brisbane and it should be here late next week. Yee ha!!!:D:D:D

If'n you are in the same mind that I am (was?) and thinking of upgrading, they have 6 left at that price so you better get in quick if you're interested!

Os.

Paul39
11th December 2013, 12:07 PM
A new lathe at a used lathe price. And you weren't even holding a gun.

Congratulations!!

Osbojo
11th December 2013, 03:37 PM
Yeah, but there goes my number one excuse for crappy turning.:rolleyes:

chuck1
11th December 2013, 04:41 PM
nice score! if I had not already bought shed stuff I may have joined you!

Sturdee
11th December 2013, 04:47 PM
Yeah, but there goes my number one excuse for crappy turning.:rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing some non "crappy turnings." :U

Peter.

DaveTTC
11th December 2013, 05:39 PM
I'll swap you for my Nova 3000 ;)

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Osbojo
11th December 2013, 06:24 PM
Looking forward to seeing some non "crappy turnings." :U

Peter.

You've seen the best of mine at show and tell Pete, not in the same class as your schmick stuff. Hopefully having a lathe with a bit of power, weight and a tailstock that actually lines up helps a bit.

DaveTTC
11th December 2013, 06:46 PM
You've seen the best of mine at show and tell Pete, not in the same class as your schmick stuff. Hopefully having a lathe with a bit of power, weight and a tailstock that actually lines up helps a bit.

No guarantee they will line up. Mine didn't.

If your tail stock happens to be low put me onto a real good and easy fix. Mine is sweet as now.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Sturdee
11th December 2013, 07:40 PM

I know a better lathe helps and no doubt you will turn better but more and more practice and learning techniques is what makes an improvement.

Don't forget that I turn most of my stuff on the Hare & Forbes MC 900 or MC 1100 clones. I regularly check re alignments with the headstock and the tailstock using a special MT2 double edged alignment bar.

Peter.

Osbojo
11th December 2013, 08:09 PM
No guarantee they will line up. Mine didn't.

If your tail stock happens to be low put me onto a real good and easy fix. Mine is sweet as now.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

I think the Novas have a pretty good system of adjustment on the tailstock. I tried everything on the MC (well that I could think of anyway) but to no avail. I could never drill a really accurate hole size as the bit wouldn't go in dead stright.

Osbojo
11th December 2013, 08:20 PM
I know a better lathe helps and no doubt you will turn better but more and more practice and learning techniques is what makes an improvement.

Don't forget that I turn most of my stuff on the Hare & Forbes MC 900 or MC 1100 clones. I regularly check re alignments with the headstock and the tailstock using a special MT2 double edged alignment bar.

Peter.

Yeah, I know what you mean peter. I was just getting so frustrated that it was hard to get motivated to go out to the workshop and get into it. Hence I get most of my turning on a Wednesday and Thursday arvo on the VL100s at the club. I know it's not the lathe that makes the turner (Jeez, it's all one of the club's open turners uses for his brilliant stuff). The MC was a great lathe to start off with but I want more power, accuracy, swing, stability, etc. so upgrade was the answer. I'd have loved to go to a VL175 or similar but the budget wouldn't stretch so had been thinking of a Nova DVR XP. Given the huge price drop the 2024 came in cheaper so it was a fait a compli.

I know it's not your cup of tea, but I've been getting a lot of good stuff out of the Monday night sessions but you have to have broad shoulders!!

DaveTTC
11th December 2013, 08:55 PM
I think the Novas have a pretty good system of adjustment on the tailstock. I tried everything on the MC (well that I could think of anyway) but to no avail. I could never drill a really accurate hole size as the bit wouldn't go in dead stright.

I was able to adjust mine side to side to get the points to align. Was not till was here a couple of weeks ago that a simple solution for up and down (height) alignment was given me that did not involve re-machining bed and or headstock/tail stock

Hopefully yours will be sweet out the box. Haven't thought about coming to my woodworking weekend over Australia Day weekend at all have you. I'm only just over the Murray

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Colin62
11th December 2013, 09:32 PM
I was able to adjust mine side to side to get the points to align. Was not till was here a couple of weeks ago that a simple solution for up and down (height) alignment was given me that did not involve re-machining bed and or headstock/tail stock

Go on, tell us the secret :)

Sawdust Maker
11th December 2013, 09:32 PM
That would be very tempting if i already didn't have the XP

DaveTTC
11th December 2013, 09:36 PM
Go on, tell us the secret :)

Very simple. If your tail stock is low just get som brass packing shim and cut a strip or strips to go on the weighs under the tailstock. Then just fold the ends up 15 mm or so at each end.

You can buy a multi pack of shims in a variety of sizes.

Mine lines up perfect now.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

colhu
11th December 2013, 10:02 PM
Very simple. If your tail stock is low just get som brass packing shim and cut a strip or strips to go on the weighs under the tailstock. Then just fold the ends up 15 mm or so at each end.

You can buy a multi pack of shims in a variety of sizes.

Mine lines up perfect now.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

I had to do the same thing to my second hand Nova 3000, except my "shims" were 16 gauge gal steel sheet. I still need to go back and fine-adjust the horizontal alignment.

Colin

Osbojo
11th December 2013, 10:03 PM
Hopefully yours will be sweet out the box.

Hopefully, but nothing's certain now they're all made in China. I think I'll get one of those aligning jiggers that Peter mentioned. That is definitely one thing that the Vicmarc's have going for them, we have 5 VL100s at the club and they are all spot on.

Haven't thought about coming to my woodworking weekend over Australia Day weekend at all have you. I'm only just over the Murray

Any details?

DaveTTC
11th December 2013, 10:07 PM
Check this link

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f25/wwjj-woodworkers-jerilderie-jaunt-jan-2014-a-170839/index6.html#post1723287

For some reason the link takes me to the wrong place on tapatalk bit if you are using that app and copy link to a browser it works fine

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Sturdee
11th December 2013, 10:30 PM
Hopefully, but nothing's certain now they're all made in China. I think I'll get one of those aligning jiggers that Peter mentioned. That is definitely one thing that the Vicmarc's have going for them, we have 5 VL100s at the club and they are all spot on.

Any details?

When you get your new lathe set up, let me know and you can borrow my alignment tool.

It's a 300 mm metal bar with morse tapers at both ends that I got made up by a mate of mine. I know you can do point to point close up but this one works accurately at a larger distance.

Used to be available in years gone past but unfortunately no longer available in a shop.

Peter.

Colin62
11th December 2013, 11:24 PM
Used to be available in years gone past but unfortunately no longer available in a shop.

Here you go. (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2007361/43362/NOVA-2MTNA-Acruline-2MT-Alignment-Lathe-Accessory.aspx)

chuck1
12th December 2013, 09:48 AM
I have been lucky despite the age of my Hyco it lines up, the leady and tl1000 have had issues! the leady because of the fold down bed, and teknatool because of wear and tear! but on the larger stuff it doesn't matter so much like table legs and posts

Treecycle
12th December 2013, 10:11 AM
Here you go. (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2007361/43362/NOVA-2MTNA-Acruline-2MT-Alignment-Lathe-Accessory.aspx)

It says in the shipping data that it does not ship to other foriegn countries. Does that mean Australia?

DaveTTC
12th December 2013, 10:20 AM
It says in the shipping data that it does not ship to other foriegn countries. Does that mean Australia?

We aren't foreign We're local. ;)

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Osbojo
12th December 2013, 12:28 PM
Check this link

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f25/wwjj-woodworkers-jerilderie-jaunt-jan-2014-a-170839/index6.html#post1723287

Thanks Dave, i'll keep it in mind and let you know. I'll have to make sure that 'her indoors' hasn't booked us in for anything. It's been a lot of years since I've been to Jerilderie, after the first time visiting the town (30+ years ago) I think it's one of those places I've passed through several times on the way to somewhere else!

Osbojo
12th December 2013, 12:35 PM

This is the closest I could find locally:

Lathe Alignment Test BAR 2MT High Precision Ground BAR | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LATHE-ALIGNMENT-TEST-BAR-2MT-HIGH-PRECISION-GROUND-BAR-/400199962083)

Probably not as good as Pete's but Looks alright if your live center is ok.

Sawdust Maker
12th December 2013, 08:03 PM
Trend Timbers (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/accessories.html) sell them, but they don't list their pricing on their website

Jim at Carroll's (http://www.cws.au.com/index.html)might have them but I can't find them on the website

Osbojo
12th December 2013, 08:35 PM
Sturdee brought his jigger around to the club today and I used it to align a Carby variable speed mini lathe. Excellent bit of kit, definitely gotta get one and slip its use into the routine maintenance schedule (yeah, go figure. With the new lathe, I'm thinking of implementing one!)

Sturdee
12th December 2013, 08:49 PM
into the routine maintenance schedule

That's what I do.

Once a month I clean the MT in the headstock and tailstock, check the alignment, take of the dust cover to the pulley system and blow out any crap and oil all the moving parts and generally give it a good clean.

Time consuming but worth the effort to keep them working properly.

Peter.

Paul39
13th December 2013, 10:36 AM
If one has a drive center with a point, and a cup tail center with a point, they can be brought to almost touching and eyeballed as to how close they are; viewed from the side and the top.

A few thousandths of an inch off is of little consequence. One sixteenth of an inch is 62.5 thousandths.

Sturdee
13th December 2013, 12:31 PM
If one has a drive center with a point, and a cup tail center with a point, they can be brought to almost touching and eyeballed as to how close they are; viewed from the side and the top.

That would align point to point, which may be fine for some operations, but still not show if the head stock and tail stock are level for fine drilling using the lathe. eg. pen blanks.

An alignment bar will show up that discrepancy and is a lot quicker to use.

Peter.

Paul39
13th December 2013, 12:36 PM
That would align point to point, which may be fine for some operations, but still not show if the head stock and tail stock are level for fine drilling using the lathe. eg. pen blanks.

Peter.

AHH SO!! I don't make much of anything smaller than my wrist. I wasn't thinking about small stuff.

DaveTTC
13th December 2013, 12:41 PM

Peter.

True

I have a long spur drive. Sticks out a good 5" more than standard

I do this

Check both spur drives, short & long, spin true while lathe is running
With quill wound in check point alignment against both drives
Extend quill full length and back off half a turn then check against both drives.

If consistent and points meet (which mine is after tuning) then I believe it level and fine for drilling.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Osbojo
19th December 2013, 07:09 PM
Picked up the new lathe today and despite almost 40 degrees (probably hotter in the workshop) managed to get it together and running with the help of a turner mate. The only issue we had was putting the legs on back to front so the skirt was on the back. Given that all else failed we decided to read the instructions and all went smoothly from then on. Haven't made any shavings yet as it's still a zillion degrees out there but fired it up just to be sure it works. Aligned ok using the tail stock aligning screws but it was only about half a smidgin' out to start with. I've heard people whinging about the slow ramp rate of the DVT XP but it doesn't appear to be an issue with the 2024, at least as near as I can tell. I noticed that the ramp rate can be adjusted in software anyway. Jeez, it's so quiet and smooth too. I'm not a real experienced turner but I gotta tell ya I'm pretty impressed thus far. Now I just gotta find some time in this silly season to get out and turn something.

Treecycle
19th December 2013, 07:44 PM
She looks a beauty. You should be right tomorrow as it is going to be cooler. If you can't wait, you can zip out latter tonight. It has already cooled down quite a bit here.
Who's going to have a great Christmas?:yippy:

DaveTTC
19th December 2013, 08:02 PM
That looks nice

I want

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

NeilS
19th December 2013, 08:02 PM
Pretty... clean

Have fun getting it dirty!

Osbojo
19th December 2013, 09:20 PM
Ooh, never thought about getting it dirty, bit of a bummer. Been out tonight setting up the dust extraction - just about ready to spin it up.....

Osbojo
20th December 2013, 06:14 PM
Yeh, got it seriously dirty today. I didn't make anything but a load of shavings to see how it went. I took some seriously big cuts with my 5/8" bowl gouge and it didn't even begin to feel it - would have stalled the MC at the same speed. Mmmm, I love it.