PDA

View Full Version : The New Laguna Lathes.

Old Croc
13th December 2013, 02:09 PM
OK troops, this looks good, rang Gregorys for a price, not too bad, so who is going to be able to do an honest review and comparison with other brands. One of the small disadvantages of living way up ere, is we have to go to Brisdump to have a look and feel.
Merry Christmas everyone,
rgds,
Crocy.

Big Shed
13th December 2013, 02:21 PM
Don't know about an "honest" review, but I had a good look at this lathe at the last Melbourne Wood Show as well as watching a few demos by Guilio Marcolongo (sp?).

I spoke to him about the lathe, and allowing for an inevitable bias as a demonstrator fro Gregorys, he was very complimentary about this lathe. It certainly appears to deliver the goods.

nz_carver
13th December 2013, 04:56 PM
Ok this is outside looking In on this.
I seen guilios one at sydney wood show the drive belts look to be a little thin. And it was a little short in hight for me
but that's just me

a mate I mine has a HARVEY it looks the same as the Laguna.
I called Harvey here in sydney they told me both are made at the same place just called 2 different names with 2 different price tags.
but about 1/2 the price the Harvey is
the big ones $2500 Australian he tells me it's a good lathe
The swing is big and it has a swing away bed on it to

here is the specs on the Harvey there listed my a online ebay shop that's in Wollongong

After years of innovative and hardwork, the Harvey team have successfully developed this new line of Turbo woodworking lathes, which have became two new members of Harvey machine family. Like all other Harvey machines, The turbo lathes are designed and built to satisfy the most disconcerning of woodworkers. With outstanding new features, energetic performances and so many user-friendly features, the Turbo range of lathes simply turn turning jobs in to an unprecedented experience.

FEATURING

High grade cast iron structure for headstock, beds and stands to ensure maximum stability
All beds are precisely ground to mirror like surface for smooth operations
Driven by advanced Servo DC brushless motor with variable speeds 50-3500 RPM
Digital wide angle speed readout with blue backlight
Extraordinarily high torque at low speeds for easy working on large workpiece
Oversized alloy spindle supported by three precision bearings
Easy belt changing without taking off spindle
Sliding headstock for easy outboard turning
Unique "Swing-away" Extension Bed system for easy tailstock storage (standard for T-60)
Heavy duty banjo with easy maneuver and secure locking
Cast steel chrome trimmed tool rest with micro height adjustment
End mounts for extension bed for longer center distance
Side mounts of extension bed for back turning
Lower end mounts of extension bed for outboard turning set up
Extension bed mounts on both ends of bed
Built-in spindle lock and index
2" riser blocks for working height adjustment
Optional safety cage type shiel
Convenient chisel storage shelf under bed (optional)
Universal mobility system (optional)
CE and CSA certified
STANDARD EQUIPMENT

Spur center
Live center
3" Face plate
Comparator Centers
Rear Comparator brackets
Knock out rod
Tool kit
OPTIONAL EQUIPTMENT

12" Extension bed with swing away system (Standard for T-60)
20" Extension bed
18" wide tool rest
Safety cage type shield
Toolrest riser bushing
Chisel storage pan

Cut and pasted off ebay

DaveTTC
13th December 2013, 05:46 PM
Ive looked at it and heard it running up close in Canberra and Melbourne. Nice and quiet and seems real smooth. I like the specs and I have looked 'online' very closely at the Harvey. The Harvey seems a very impressive unit in my opinion. So does the lungauna Ok spelt that wrong I think

mjl09
13th December 2013, 09:10 PM
Richard Raffan reviews the Laguna Revo 24-36 against the vicmarc VL300 and Teknatool 2040 in the Current Issue (81) of Australian Wood review

DaveTTC
13th December 2013, 09:16 PM
Richard Raffan reviews the Laguna Revo 24-36 against the vicmarc VL300 and Teknatool 2040 in the Current Issue (81) of Australian Wood review
And for those of us that do not have the magazine ... do you have a condensed or full reveal ... ;)

Jim Carroll
13th December 2013, 09:47 PM
The Vicmarc is more user freindly than the Laguna.

The laguna is big and clunky in all regards, hard to move the banjo as it is too long and the tailstock does not slide freely with one hand.

The belt as Dave indicates is too small for what you can swing on the lathe.

The spindle lock takes skin of when using the handwheel

Big Shed
13th December 2013, 10:00 PM
Some excerpts from Richard Raffan's review in AWR 81:

"The Laguna Revo 24-36 is a really substantial machine with 3hp motor"

"The drive belts looks rather narrow but seems to do its job."

"The headstock can be locked in any position at any point along the bed, so if you want to work across the face of a bowl (rather than lean across the lathe bed) you move the the headstock to the end of the bed to create a short-bed lathe, a much better arrangement than a swivel head."

"The rest assembly moves easily and locks positively, as does the tailstock"

and in the final summary:

"At $4500 the Laguna Revo 24-36 is an exceptionally good buy, especially as it comes with the swing-away tailstock and 900mm between centres. However if the falling Aussie dollar forced the price nearer the VL300, that's the lathe I'd opt for. For me the VL300 remains the best wood lathe on the market."

Mobyturns
13th December 2013, 10:15 PM
A mate in NZ has the large Harvey and is over the moon with it. He has already turned 85kg lumps into very respectable hats weighing in at a couple of hundred grams.

nz_carver
14th December 2013, 01:00 AM
A mate in NZ has the large Harvey and is over the moon with it. He has already turned 85kg lumps into very respectable hats weighing in at a couple of hundred grams.
I think we have the same mate

Jim Carroll
14th December 2013, 12:28 PM
I think we have the same mate

I am interested in how long Ian enjoys the lathe, he has a tendancy for being heavy on tools

nz_carver
14th December 2013, 04:44 PM
Id say given the belt size it can be pulled up easy

I have Tryed a lot and I mean a lot to pull up a vl300 with a 3/4 bowl gouge but had little luck.

Id say the vicmarc is better lathe for its money.

Pat
14th December 2013, 04:55 PM

I have Tryed a lot and I mean a lot to pull up a vl300 with a 3/4 bowl gouge but had little luck.

I bet I could :q

Mobyturns
14th December 2013, 10:10 PM

Have a look at Glen Lucas's clips on Youtube using Vicmarcs & taking wide agressive cuts in kiln dried bowl blanks. They handle it easily.

Old Croc the way I figure it plenty of turners have learned to accommodate the short commings of what they have. For my money I would be looking at Vicmarc if I had the dollars, much more refined and as you know they take a beating pretty well. From the specs the Laguna should handle your large platters easily. I have concerns about the longevity of the motors, nothing more than a hunch as these style motors don't seem to handle the duty cycle a Vicmarc could. Youre more qualifed than most of us to assess that. Things high on my list is the likely hood you will get warranty backup, and spares in the future. I learned the hard way with my little lathe when the variable speed unit / motor started playing up well out of warranty. No parts & don't care attitude from Nova as it was no longer a production model. With so much machinery being imported and a lot of it generic models built to a price / spec level for different importers / re-badgers makes sourcing parts very difficult. Specification levels may be very different between suppliers for "identical" units.

Other thing to think about is the design of the lathes, personally I can't use a lathe with the motor at the headstock because of potential interference with a medical device so that rules out a lot of lathes these days.

Old Croc
15th December 2013, 12:13 AM
Well thanks for all the help guys. My review has not arrived yet, so i snuck a look at the newsagent and checked his thoughts. I wont touch a vicmarc, so it looks like a trip to the wood show to see it up close. Just makes me wonder whats different between the Laguna and the Harvey? Both look the same, but a hell of a difference in price. I just bought a new welder and it looks the same as 4 other huflungdung welders, but from the reviews of members in the welding forum, i am happy the one i bought was worth the extra cost.
Thanks again guys,
rgds,
Crocy.

cookie48
15th December 2013, 12:26 AM
Folks.
Just to throw a spanner in the works. Has any one seen the Record CL4-CAM that is shown on the Hare & Forbes site. Sorry I do not know how to place web link here. Costs $1650 incl GSt.
Have seen many English publications that show Record lathes and they appear to be ok.
Would love to get a big lathe but cost stops me.
Any answers to this.
Thanks
Cookie

RETIRED
15th December 2013, 08:36 AM
New RECORD POWER CL4-CAM in Northmead, NSW Price: $1,500 <106754> (http://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/CL4-CAM-Professional-Electronic-Variable-Speed-Lat/106754/)

Sturdee
15th December 2013, 09:22 AM
New RECORD POWER CL4-CAM in Northmead, NSW Price: $1,500 <106754> (http://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/CL4-CAM-Professional-Electronic-Variable-Speed-Lat/106754/)

I looked at the Record lathes last time I was at H & F in Dandenong and the thing that annoyed me was " Spindle Nose Thread: 1MT, 3/4" x 16TPI " which is not a common here. I queried that and the attitude was that " that's how they are made, take it or leave it".

For little extra work the ones for sale here could have been adapted to our common standards.

Peter.

NeilS
15th December 2013, 10:47 AM
... the thing that annoyed me was "Spindle Nose Thread

I pass over any lathe that isn't 30 x 3.5mm*. It narrows the options, but fortunately that still includes some very good lathes.

* the cost of new chuck inserts and faceplates to adapt to another thread size needs to be factored into the overall cost of such a change.

jefferson
15th December 2013, 11:19 AM
Crocky, I went to the Melb. WWW show and watched Guilio M. stall his laguna several times using very small pieces of work. I can't recall whether he was turning bowls or spindles (was that far back) but the pieces were definitely no larger than 250mm. I imagine that Guilio had the belt on the right pulleys, so there's something wrong with the machine. My best advice is to save your money and get a bench mount VL175 which I think is about the same money.

Paul39
15th December 2013, 12:16 PM
I looked at the Record lathes last time I was at H & F in Dandenong and the thing that annoyed me was " Spindle Nose Thread: 1MT, 3/4" x 16TPI " which is not a common here. I queried that and the attitude was that " that's how they are made, take it or leave it".

For little extra work the ones for sale here could have been adapted to our common standards.

Peter.

If one is going to be turning big bowls from unbalanced lumps that skinny spindle nose will be a weak point. Also 1MT is not very big.

The steel bar bed is likely to flex and vibrate. I don't think it is a serious lathe.

My Hegner has a nice stout head and tailstock with 33 X 5mm thread. The bed is two 50mm square tubes. It flexes when I have an out of balance piece on the lathe, so I have a headstock staying in place and tool rest and tailstock shaking back and forth. Once the piece is round it is OK.

I bought two pieces of used 5/16 inch thick 8 inch C channel for $6.00 that I will use for the bed of the Hegner. That should stop the moving around.

My 20 inch swing short bed Woodfast and cabinet will gently sway back and forth with an unbalanced piece, but the head and tailstock and tool rest are all solidly in place. I'm partial to a big chunk of cast iron bolted to thick steel base cabinet.

cookie48
15th December 2013, 01:41 PM
Gents.
It seems in just a few comments the the Record is not the one to get. I understand what is said and appreciate the replies.
Thanks.
Cookie

Jim Carroll
15th December 2013, 02:16 PM
When Record approched us about stocking the lathes I asked about changing the spindle size to suit australian conditions and was given a blunt NO.

They claim they are the biggest seller in the UK which I cant argue with but I argued we are not in the UK and our standard is M30 x 3.5mm so they should conform to the norm here.

Even their copy of the Woodfast M305 has their 1mt and 3/4 x16 thread. I said if they shipped direct from china instead of going to the UK then back here with the correct size thread then they would have a good seller but alas falling on deaf ears.

They are selling primarily to the uninformed which is sad. They are selling on their name and not much else, Record are generally good products but not fully adapted to our ways here in Australia.

Old Croc
15th December 2013, 11:11 PM
After re reading the posts from NZ Carver and Jefferson, I went back and checked the specs of the Laguna Revo 24 -36 and the Harvey T50 Turbo. They appear to be brothers but the Harvey is a smaller version, with only 2HP vs 3HP and less swing so hence the lower price. I have emailed the supplier for a price on the T60 to compare apples with apples. Also the spindle nose is some weird imperial size, so new inserts would be required. When I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, I dropped into a turning shop and they had Robust lathes, and an "American Beauty" :2tsup:on the floor. That one would be my choice, but I haven't won lotto yet.
rgds,
Crocy.

DaveTTC
15th December 2013, 11:16 PM
After re reading the posts from NZ Carver and Jefferson, I went back and checked the specs of the Laguna Revo 24 -36 and the Harvey T50 Turbo. They appear to be brothers but the Harvey is a smaller version, with only 2HP vs 3HP and less swing so hence the lower price. I have emailed the supplier for a price on the T60 to compare apples with apples. Also the spindle nose is some weird imperial size, so new inserts would be required. When I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, I dropped into a turning shop and they had Robust lathes, and an "American Beauty" :2tsup:on the floor. That one would be my choice, but I haven't won lotto yet. rgds, Crocy.
I can put you onto a Robust dealer in the states, he might cut you a deal but man they are some serious dollars

nz_carver
16th December 2013, 01:28 AM
I can put you onto a Robust dealer in the states, he might cut you a deal but man they are some serious dollars
For the price of the robust your better off with vicmarc if something goes wrong there a phone call away.
that and if you brake a part there only in QLD not USA

Mobyturns
16th December 2013, 08:23 AM
For the price of the robust your better off with vicmarc if something goes wrong there a phone call away.
that and if you brake a part there only in QLD not USA

Thankfully for Stubby and Vicmarc plenty of turners in the UK, Ireland, & the USA don't use that logic. Plenty of O/S turners own Aussie built / owned lathes through the support of suppliers like John Jordan for Stubby in the USA. Its all about service & listening to your customers.

hughie
16th December 2013, 07:53 PM
Well for me most these lathes have their good points, but enough for me to part with my money. I think If I were to buy one it would be this model Vicmarc - Wood Lathes, Chucks, Jaws and Accessories - (http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=705)

I see that Record are using brass bushing on the headstock , one wonders if its cost cutting exercise or effort to reduce vibration with a full contact bearing.

RETIRED
16th December 2013, 09:09 PM
Hughie. The latter.

Most Records have always had an adjustable bronze bush as it gives the most support and contact at the spindle nose.

The biggest problem is that a lot of people can't or don't adjust them when they wear.

It is a very efficient and robust system IF people maintain them.

Paul39
26th December 2013, 03:50 AM
I find this:

Variable woodworking lathe T-60, View wood lathe, HARVEY Product Details from Nanjing Harvey Machinery Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com (http://harveymachinery.en.alibaba.com/product/731120782-220565195/Variable_woodworking_lathe_T_60.html)

Harvey Wood Lathe | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Harvey-Wood-Lathe-/350813430344)

Numbers look good, but I would have to try one before I bought one.