PDA

View Full Version : Small Pepper Grinder form blank cast at casting BBQ

dai sensei
14th December 2013, 02:15 PM
I managed to cast up some Cypress Pind seed pods in a translucent emerald green resin with gold fleck powder mixed in at the BBQ at Sturdee's place last weekend (see photos here http://www.woodworkforums.com/f204/lessons-pictures-sturdee-place-179662/). It was 70x70x180 high, so I decided to make a small pepper grinder with a Crushgrind Shaftless mechanism I bought a while back.

I used my own shape for these, but had to modify what I originally thought of, due to the very short blank. I only JUST had enough cast, but when I was polishing the plug on the buff it came out of my hands never to be seen again, probably somewhere in my mother's garden. So I cast a bit more in a paper cup and made a new one. The finished item is sanded to 600 then soaked in thin CA before sanding again with 0000 steel wool, EEE then a number of sprayed coats of NCL, then buffed on a wheel with HUT wax. The inside was finished with a number of coats of Hard Shellac.

The finished grinder is only 130mm high. The pivot is at the first fillet.

297120 297121 297122 297123

gawdelpus
14th December 2013, 04:28 PM
Very Spiffy, that would have been a challenge in any ones books :) I like it ,But gonna stick to plain and simple for mine hehe, cheers ~ John :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
14th December 2013, 06:19 PM
An interesting piece. Also something that I did not know shaft less grinder.

tdrumnut
14th December 2013, 09:16 PM
Certainly different Neil, with a great end result.

Treecycle
14th December 2013, 09:22 PM
Love that colour combination Neil. You have put a lot of work in to get that beautiful finish.
It would look great on anyone's table.

dr4g0nfly
15th December 2013, 07:56 AM
Dai,

I'm not sure about the little 'cap' on top, but the colour effects in the resin, the craftsmanship in the turning and that wonderful finish, it's a joy to behold.

SNAFU11
15th December 2013, 08:19 AM
Very Blingy mate.....looks nice:2tsup:

Mick!!!

dai sensei
15th December 2013, 01:03 PM
..I'm not sure about the little 'cap' on top...

That is the plug, where the pepper is put in, plus I needed an edge to grip on :-. In the concept shape, from the instructions, the ball is the plug. I didn't like the design (personal taste), but the person who had the first one I made with that shape commented it didn't work, as the knob just twisted. I considered it just natural that someone would twist the ball, and as it is just the plug, it doesn't twist the mechanism.

You can see from the picture what height it should be, shame the cast was so short.

DaveTTC
15th December 2013, 01:21 PM
nice work, what is that spray stuff you mentioned as part of the final finish

PenTurner
15th December 2013, 09:05 PM
Oh! Wow!!:2tsup::2tsup:, Just love it, I better learn how to cast:rolleyes::)Amos

gawdelpus
15th December 2013, 09:11 PM
Oh! Wow!!:2tsup::2tsup:, Just love it, I better learn how to cast:rolleyes::)Amos

Hey Amos , you were there :) you lose points for not paying attention hehe. Cheers ~ John

Ilya
15th December 2013, 09:18 PM
That looks very interesting, well done! It seems that you had a finishing kamasutra with this grinder! :D

I The finished item is sanded to 600 then soaked in thin CA before sanding again with 0000 steel wool, EEE then a number of sprayed coats of NCL, then buffed on a wheel with HUT wax.

dai sensei
16th December 2013, 09:59 PM
nice work, what is that spray stuff you mentioned as part of the final finish

NCL = Nitrocellulose Lacquer (although the stuff in Aus is no longer made with Nitro)

tea lady
16th December 2013, 11:50 PM
Wow. That is a very sparkly pepper grinder. Maybe the little cap could be a contrast colour? Black or white indicating the contents or something. Would rest the eyes a bit also as the all over pattern is a bit to much for me. (Although I guess the blank was the demo, so.... :shrug: ) The pods are interesting.

Shaft-less mechanism? Interesting.

Willy Nelson
17th December 2013, 12:18 AM
Wow, That looks Funky, Good Job
Willy
jarrahland

goodwoody
19th December 2013, 02:25 PM
Neil, what type of resin is it? Where did you acquire it? Damien.

dai sensei
19th December 2013, 08:52 PM
I get my resin and the green translucent dye used in this cast from FGI (now known as Nuplex, see HOME | Nuplex Composites (http://www.nuplexcomposites.com/australia/)). The gold powder is from AMCS (see Rich Gold (http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_182))