PDA

View Full Version : A couple of little tealight candle holders

Hermit
16th December 2013, 10:14 PM
My second and third turning projects. They don't compare to the other stuff I see in this section, but I'm happy anyway. :)

This is today's, my favourite of the two - Merbau, 90mm diameter x 35mm tall, finished in satin WOP. (Might give it a few more coats yet. I haven't decided for sure - I sort of like the rough look as it is.)
Sorry 'bout the poor lighting.

297544 297545 297546

297547 297548

And this is the first one, yesterday's, Blackbutt and Tas Oak, about 70mm diameter and 95mm tall, finished in 2 coats Shellawax. I don't think I like this one much.

297550 297549

I bought the little glass inserts from eBay, ~$1 each for 24. I guess I'll be making a few more of these things. Good beginner's practice at least.

Again, any and all comments are welcome, especially constructive criticism.

Cliff Rogers
16th December 2013, 10:33 PM
I like the first one the best. :2tsup:

Hermit
16th December 2013, 10:37 PM
I like the first one the best. :2tsup:

G'day Cliff, thanks.
I'm unsure, though - the first one I showed or the first one I made? Merbau or Blackbutt/Tas Oak?

Sturdee
16th December 2013, 10:43 PM
I like the Merbau one better as the shape is a lot more solid as I feel the second (your first) is top heavy and likely to be knocked over too easily.

As a first effort very well done.

Peter.

Hermit
16th December 2013, 10:50 PM
I like the Merbau one better as the shape is a lot more solid as I feel the second (your first) is top heavy and likely to be knocked over too easily.
As a first effort very well done.
Peter.

Thanks Peter. The top-heaviness was one of the things that concerned me about that one. Originally, I was going to make the 'stem' much thinner, but left it thick for that very reason. (It's loosely based on a poppy.)

Dalboy
17th December 2013, 09:30 AM
I think that the first (Merbau) tea light is the better design what would be nice is to make another two identical(should help with the practice) then get a nice piece of wood in a light colour and stand the three on it and make a nice table centre piece. Now then Steve should I really be giving you ideas as you will be overtaking me with your turning.:U:U:U.

Glad to see you have used an insert

Hermit
17th December 2013, 10:08 AM
I think that the first (Merbau) tea light is the better design what would be nice is to make another two identical(should help with the practice) then get a nice piece of wood in a light colour and stand the three on it and make a nice table centre piece. Now then Steve should I really be giving you ideas as you will be overtaking me with your turning.:U:U:U.

Glad to see you have used an insert

Thanks for that Derek. It sounds like a good idea, to add some contrast by using a lighter stand. I was going to make some sets of three, but didn't consider mounting them on a single base.
I don't think you need worry about me overtaking you with your turning anytime soon, either. :D

I started to make one without an insert, then a mate showed me a deep burn on his coffee table, (matches glued onto a substrate), from where a tea light candle had been used on it's own, not in a holder.

Then I saw Mike Waldt in a YouTube video make a tea-light holder with a glass insert, so asked where he got them, (eBay :doh: ), and bought some, for an added measure of safety. Personally, I doubt that hardwoods are too likely to burn, but the inserts make sure. Cheap insurance.

Edit: And these are actually my 4th and 5th turnings, not 2nd and 3rd. I forgot the yo-yos. Dunno how, I play with mine (yo-yo) most nights. It's addictive, like the turning itself.

artme
17th December 2013, 10:31 AM
Gotta agree with wot's been sed :aro-u:.

My vote also goes to the Merbau!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

DSEL74
17th December 2013, 01:04 PM
Same Merbu is a better form and I like the idea of a set. The set doesn't have to be the same size, It could be a cluster of the same form in three sizes.

Here are some other ideas which may give you inspiration
http://www.gaiam.com.au/images/products/md/04-0366.jpghttp://images.getprice.com.au/uploadimg/2760/200_Mango-Wood-Grain-Tea-Light-Holder-321211-1-catalog.jpghttp://www.wood-vases.com/images/Handcrafted%20Wooden%20Bowls%20Containers%20Dishes/walnut-tea-light-candle-holder.jpghttp://www.namaste-uk.com/shopimages/products/normal/LNC4.jpghttp://www.ebsqart.com/Art/Gallery/wood/719962/650/650/TLwithTable6xMain01.jpg

Hermit
17th December 2013, 01:42 PM
Gotta agree with wot's been sed :aro-u:.

My vote also goes to the Merbau!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks Arthur. I'm glad that the Merbau one is more popular - I put a lot more thought into the form and a lot more work into shaping the top cleanly. Also, I think the timber looks better. It's got character.
Since posting the pics I've given that one two more coats of satin WOP. Looks 'finished' now.

Same Merbu is a better form and I like the idea of a set. The set doesn't have to be the same size, It could be a cluster of the same form in three sizes.

Here are some other ideas which may give you inspiration

Thanks for the good feedback, and for the inspiring pics. I especially like the 'rings', with candles at the top. I've got a small gallery that I've added them to.
I've seen a few sets of three, with each a different height, and was planning to go that way with at least one set.

I'm in the middle of another Merbau one now, but I won't bore everyone too much by posting it. I'll just keep knocking them out, then maybe a group shot when I have a decent number made.

Cliff Rogers
17th December 2013, 07:11 PM
G'day Cliff, thanks.
I'm unsure, though - the first one I showed or the first one I made? Merbau or Blackbutt/Tas Oak?

The Kwila one. :D

Hermit
17th December 2013, 09:28 PM
The Kwila one. :D

Thanks Cliff. That makes it unanimous.