PDA

View Full Version : replacing bathroom fan/lights

jasonbrisbane
4th June 2005, 03:04 AM
Hi ,
i have an old kambrook 3 in 1 rectangular fan/light combo in the roof of my bathroom and the fan has stopped working.I picked up a triangular 3in 1 ixl tastic as a replacement.Can any1 give me an idea on the easiest way to put in the new unit because there will be a big gap where the old one was(triangle in a rectangle hole)
Thought id ask here first rather than make a botched job of it:)

mic-d
4th June 2005, 08:07 AM
If the timber in your ceiling allows, you could cut the pointy part of the triangle into fresh ceiling leaving only a rectangular hole to patch. For the patching methods, a search here will show you how. Since the holding tabs on the heater may not work if you have a double layer of gyprock, you should probably use 3mm mdf or masonite or similar for the backing of the patch. Assuming you have a plasterboard ceiling... And you should get an electrician in to wire it for you.

Cheers
Michael

station-rat
4th June 2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Jason
Have you tried putting a little oil on the bearings either side of the fan motor--- worked for me, and still going strong.
Station-rat

jasonbrisbane
4th June 2005, 10:02 PM
When i flick the fan switch i dont hear anything is that how yours was?Also is there any trick to patching the roof?do i just throw some spackfilla in there?

station-rat
4th June 2005, 10:44 PM
Hi Jason
Yes the bearings just get dry and stop turning, couple of drops of oil and away it goes.
Station-rat

jasonbrisbane
5th June 2005, 02:02 AM
I tried a good spray of wd40 but it still doesnt work at all :( if only i could buy a replacement kambrook 3in 1 that fit in the hole!

Pulse
6th June 2005, 06:09 PM
might be easier to just cut a brand new hole somewhere else in the bathroom and then patch the old one. As mic-d suggested you need to back it with something. You could use an off cut larger than the hole and then glue a piece from the bottom into the defect. Use cornice cement, spread with a 8 - 10mm notched trowel. Tape the joints and fill with topping compound.

Cheers
Pulse

soundman
6th June 2005, 11:26 PM
A couple of choices come to mind.
Find a fan light combo that has a compatable or larger footprint.
There are a heap of them arround.
Replace the fan motor.
It will be a shaded pole motor like most exhaust fans.
You would have to look at a number of fans and find one that had compatable mounting & shaft.
I'd go with the firts option.

Buzza
3rd November 2005, 10:32 PM
G'Day All,

Can anyone tell me how to wire a plain ordinary exhaust fan to the light fitting please. The fan is fitted already, but I haven't got around to wiring it in.

I know "Get an electrician", but they're employed and I'm not.

Buzza,

~ Whatever note you blow you're never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

jasonbrisbane
4th November 2005, 12:02 AM
Dont do it yourself its to risky,you only have 1 life.Ring up and get a quote for a cash job,tell them u just need the connection made the wires have already been run etc and its a 30 sec job.

Buzza
4th November 2005, 05:29 PM
I think you're right Jason, I'm getting my two A's mixed up. Abilities and Ambitions.

Buzza