PDA

View Full Version : Elm bowl from a cube

corbs
17th December 2013, 09:28 PM
I've seen a few examples of turning on this axis so decided to have a crack myself. A few lessons learnt for me but I'm pretty happy with the result. Wood is Elm & finish is Kunos Oil.

Corbs

orraloon
17th December 2013, 09:35 PM
I like the shape but sanding it would scare me,
Regards
John

Cliff Rogers
17th December 2013, 10:05 PM
:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
17th December 2013, 10:59 PM
nice shape

corbs
18th December 2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks team... John, the sanding on this one isn't that bad as the actual open section isn't that big. Because it's quite small, it wasn't that hard to hand sand those parts anyway :)

Willy Nelson
18th December 2013, 10:37 AM
Hello Corbs
Well done, once again trying new things and increasing skill levels.

You on leave now? I commence this Friday and return to work on the 27th. Doing a cruise of New Zealand for 16 days,. Already checked, no Big Guns or missile systems on board and no room for a mini lathe in the kids luggage, I gonna be bored
:((

Willy

corbs
18th December 2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks Willy, I'm on my first week of leave now. Taking the full RAP period off so back on deck 13 Jan.

What's the point of a ship without guns or missiles? Enjoy the cruise :2tsup:

rod1949
18th December 2013, 03:29 PM
So how is it held in the chuck?

Ilya
18th December 2013, 04:13 PM
Great result, I will take this design on board for one of my next projects!

corbs
18th December 2013, 05:23 PM
So how is it held in the chuck?

Rod, it's mounted on a woodscrew held in a chuck to turn the outside and mounted on a tenon held in compression mode to do the inside. I made a jam chuck to turn the tenon off and clean up the outside when finished.

chuck1
18th December 2013, 05:50 PM
corbs, that's very cool! I may just have a go at it when I'm on holidays! hope you don't mind?

corbs
18th December 2013, 07:16 PM
corbs, that's very cool! I may just have a go at it when I'm on holidays! hope you don't mind?

I'm pretty sure I've seen the same concept in here a few times and I've certainly seen it elsewhere so it's far from my idea. Make as many versions as you like :2tsup:

smiife
18th December 2013, 08:07 PM
hi corbs,
very nice bowl,well done looks good
very nice shiny chuck too!!!!!wish mine looked
like that:C
cheers smiife:2tsup:

artme
18th December 2013, 09:14 PM
Still got all the knuckles Corbs???

Will done mate!! Looks good and the finish suits the timber well.!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

corbs
18th December 2013, 09:45 PM
Still got all the knuckles Corbs???

Will done mate!! Looks good and the finish suits the timber well.!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks mate... two in every three knuckles are intact :B

Willy Nelson
19th December 2013, 12:10 AM
Thanks mate... two in every three knuckles are intact :B

Thats because they are so calloused and hardened from dragging on the ground :o

Respectfully
Willy

Christos
19th December 2013, 07:15 AM
It is an interesting piece. Can not recall anyone making such a piece so it is new to me.

:rolleyes:

vtbao
19th December 2013, 11:55 AM
I've done a similar one in the past, but couldn't do the jam chuck

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th December 2013, 09:40 AM
Very nicely done! :2tsup: This has been one of my favourite styles to turn bowls, since I saw Guilio Marcolongo(sp?) demo'ing at a club meet many years ago.

There's just something about the way they're not 100% "round" that appeals very strongly to me. :)

One of the variations I do avoids the need for a jam chuck altogether. When turning the inside I leave a slightly domed internal rim just below the lowest edge joining the points and hollow underneath this. Much like a hollow form with points on top, except I've found it looks best when the hole is around 1/3 the diameter of the whole internal rim. (Apologies for the poor description; a pic would be better and I have several examples of these underway in the shed... but the Gal has taken the camera to work with her. :doh:)

Anyways, I can - with care - mount it in the chuck in expansion mode using this rim/hole for careful cleanup of the outside of the vessel.

This design lends itself very nicely to small finialled lids, esp. when the lid curvature matches the 'dome' of the rim in a smooth line.

corbs
20th December 2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks Skew, I've read your method a few times and while I think I can see what you're suggesting... I'd love to see some pics if you've got any examples :2tsup:

I can see the potential of a lidded box with finial on a stand for this as well. Looks like I've got some more playing to do with this form :D

turnerted
24th December 2013, 04:56 PM
G'day
You don't need to use a chuck to start turning a form like this. Just mount it with one point in the head stock spindle and the other end in the live centre with the point removed,then turn a tennon on the tail stock end then mount in your chuck and away you go.
Ted