PDA

View Full Version : Some Pendents

WoodWriteOz
19th December 2013, 02:00 PM
Here are some of my latest creations….Two are Corian while the one in the gift box is spalted Marri grown in the South West of Western Australia: the tree was felled nearly a decade ago before I got hold of some of it and had well and truly started to rot. The Pendent in the middle is Western Myall. This is mostly grown in South Australia but one species has developed over the border hence the name Western Myall. I use a Richard Joyner Backplate, use ed Davidsons Youtube as a guide. The main problem I have is the quality of the double sided tape…we are cursed by relative isolation in this part of the world, but hopeful of getting a good quality cloth backed ds tape in the coming weeks….your comments will be very much appreciated…George

Sturdee
19th December 2013, 04:39 PM
As one who has made, and still make, Corian pendants I like them. Well done on using alternative materials and I believe that Corian is eminently suited for making pendants.

I also use the Joyner backing plate, bought some years ago, and they do help very much in making pendants. Have you got the latest version with the removable screw for bottle stopper turning?

I don't use double sided tape, instead I use hot melt glue to glue the finished side to a scarificial block, saves turning one side :) , and when finished remove it by squirting metho onto the hot melt glue. That softens it and then can be removed easily.

This thread on my pendant turning (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/some-more-corian-pendants-145780/) may be of interest to you.

Next you will have to experiment with Corian and start making bowls, vases and boxes from it.

Peter.

WoodWriteOz
19th December 2013, 05:46 PM
G'day peter....thanks for your comments..I haven't used hot melt glue because I was concerned that any heat caused by sanding would soften it. But I will try it the next time I make some. It is almost impossible to get any off-cuts or scrap in Busselton, but I have now got made contact with a Kitchen Cupboard manufacturer in Perth who says he has boxes of it: I will be there early in the new year so will check it out.

I have about Version 3/4 of Richard;s Backplate...this doesn't have the Bottle Stopper facility but as i am in touch with Richard from time to time, I will see what I can do.

My turning is now Writing Instruments and Jewellery so will stick to that...the couple of outlets I supply are enough to keep me off the streets and out of the pub..!!!

have you made any earrings...my current thinking is that the process would be the same as pendents but using +/-25 mm blanks. Also I saw a Wagner Texturing Tool that Enzo at Vermec sells at a fairly reasonable price...I might explore that...

Regards...George

Sturdee
19th December 2013, 10:54 PM
George,

I wouldn't worry about the hot melt glue softening from sanding the Corian. The only time I felt the Corian getting too warm was when I made the pen holding beaker (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/corian-pen-holding-beaker-179787/#post1726404) from drilling out the inside. I had to do that in stages and allow it to cool down in between.

Normally I wet sand any way on Corian, usually starting at 400 to 1000 and then wet polishing with the Micromesh system, followed with buffing out a car polish for final shine. Most of the time I do it all of the lathe as it's too easy to put circular scratches when lathe sanding.

The Joyner plate that I have I got locally and not direct from Joyner, so the MT arbor does not have the drilled and tapped 1/4 " thread at the end and not the screw fitting. I can buy a suitable screw locally and drill out the plate okay for it but having the tapped MT arbor would be very useful. Safes having to use tail stock support when working on the side of the pendant or future bottle stoppers.

Never made earrings but instead from the same blank I make an armband and then use the centre ring cutout for the pendant. I've also made quite a few slimline pens from it.

If you want to get the Wagner texturing tool for wood pendants fine but they will not work on the Corian. I have the three types and they work on compressing rather then cutting and the Corian is too dense a material to compress.

Finally if you get a good source then cherish it, I won't gloat by putting up a photo of my stock pile but as some forum members know it's extensive. My only gripe is that architects don't seem to specify the bold colours instead most of the times they use the drab kitchen colours.

Goodluck with it and if I can help further, just ask.

Peter.

Christos
20th December 2013, 06:05 AM
I like what you have done in making the pendants.

WoodWriteOz
20th December 2013, 02:17 PM
Thank you Peter....I will certainly digest what you have said. I am currently working on pendents made from Aluminium...will 'publish' the results in due course..

Regards....George