PDA

View Full Version : A question directed at NZ turners or woodies

Willy Nelson
21st December 2013, 01:06 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen

In Jan, I shall be aboard the Voyer of the Sea on a 16 day cruise leap frogging many Eastern NZ ports.

Now, as all Australians know, Jarrah is the envy of all wood turners. Those in the East know that Jarrah is the best looking timber in Australia and as a consequence, all lust after it. I am hoping NZ has an equally unique, iconic and stunning timber. I hope to purchase a small amount to make a bunch of pens for all who accompany me.

Now what is THE best NZ timber?

Cheers
Sincerely

Willy
Jarrahland

Mobyturns
21st December 2013, 07:15 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen

In Jan, I shall be aboard the Voyer of the Sea on a 16 day cruise leap frogging many Eastern NZ ports.

Now, as all Australians know, Jarrah is the envy of all wood turners. Those in the East know that Jarrah is the best looking timber in Australia and as a consequence, all lust after it. I am hoping NZ has an equally unique, iconic and stunning timber. I hope to purchase a small amount to make a bunch of pens for all who accompany me.

Cheers
Sincerely

Willy
Jarrahland

Watch them Kiwis mate! They will try and palm off some of that nasty nasty 40,000yo Ancient Swamp Kauri or that mongrel Pohutukawa.

brendan stemp
21st December 2013, 07:57 AM

None of them:U

Tim the Timber Turner
21st December 2013, 08:54 PM
Now, as all Australians know, Jarrah is the envy of all wood turners. Those in the East know that Jarrah is the best looking timber in Australia and as a consequence, all lust after it.
Willy
Jarrahland

Here's one turner that wont agree with you.:no:

Red Gum, Coolabah burl, Mallee burl or Bull Oak are all more spectacular than Jarrah. :2tsup:

Come on Willy, I think you are just having a stir.:roll:

Cheers

Tim:)

BamBam53
21st December 2013, 09:43 PM
I have some New Zealand red gum burl out in the shed that makes a spectacular pen. :p

Michael

Willy Nelson
21st December 2013, 10:55 PM
Here's one turner that wont agree with you.:no:

Red Gum, Coolabah burl, Mallee burl or Bull Oak are all more spectacular than Jarrah. :2tsup:

Come on Willy, I think you are just having a stir.:roll:

Cheers

Tim:)

Stir? Stir? :o Wouldn't even know where to start :roll:

Aside from the dig at the Easterners, I am genuinely after some names for stunning K1W1 timbers. Just had a thought, and not stirring at all, but maybe the KIWIs could use the timber from their trophy cabinet, you know, the one that used to hold the Rugby League World Cup trophy. :;

Sincerely
Willy
jarrahland

MAPLEMAN
22nd December 2013, 07:14 AM
Jarrah :oo::?:ohcrap:...Willy you poor fellow,with all due respect,you must be starved of good wood to turn...sure,Jarrah with the fiddly looks sweet :q,but there is much tastier stuff out there..i need to take you for a tour in my shed :D..merry xmas mate..MM:2tsup:

Mobyturns
22nd December 2013, 08:19 AM
Jarrah :oo::?:ohcrap:...Willy you poor fellow,with all due respect,you must be starved of good wood to turn...sure,Jarrah with the fiddly looks sweet :q,but there is much tastier stuff out there..i need to take you for a tour in my shed :D..merry xmas mate..MM:2tsup:

Jarrah does make nice spindles for spin tops :rolleyes:

artme
22nd December 2013, 09:30 AM
Isn't Jarrah the stuphph that we in the east use to make common garden variety decks?????

issatree
22nd December 2013, 10:12 AM
Hi All,
Although NZ Kauri is a bit on the soft side, it is not all that bad, I have a few pieces of it, & it Turns OK.
Pohutukawa or NZ Christmas Tree has a very nice brown grain, great to Turn, but then again, I only use small Dia. of this Wood. Yes, it will Split just like others do.

So on Tues.24th. on any year, most of these Trees should Flower.

Willy Nelson
22nd December 2013, 10:22 AM
Mapleman and Artme

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, gentlemen

Clearly you are delusional if you you are thinking Australia's finest timber isn't a chunk of Curly Jarrah from the WA Southwest.:no:

Yes, it can be use for decks, but might I add, what a versatile timber it is, once again staking a claim for the best timber. It has been used to line the streets of London (what other timber has been exported all the way from Australia for that distinction???? Hmmmmmm). It is fantastic for floors, decks, walls and ceiling. It even makes stunning tomato stakes, and it is the best firewood to use in the middle of the WA ski season when were are buried under 2 meters of snow! :cool:

Jarrah is so good, it even provides us with stunning burls which are sought after around the world.

So, I rest my case.

Maple, from the images you have posted, Yes, I would love a tour in your shed, you have some very good timber, but sadly, I haven't seen any Jarrah :(

Merry Christmas all

Sincerely
Willy
jarrahland

PS All this is TIC and I added some emoticons just to lighten this up

PSS Still no K1W1 timber names??

dai sensei
22nd December 2013, 05:29 PM
Well the onlt NZ timber I have anything to do with is Fernwood (see Keepsakes from the bush, Ponga Craft, NZ Ponga, Punga, Tree Fern Gifts - Fernwood (http://www.fernwood.co.nz/)). Beautiful stuff to play with, shame it has a hole up the middle :rolleyes:

As for WA tumbers, my favourite would be Jam

BamBam53
22nd December 2013, 08:26 PM
I can't say what the best Kiwi timber is, but if you want a stunning iconic New Zealand timber you can't go past Kauri. It is soft compared to Australian hard woods but, on a pen, a few coats of CA toughens it up.

These are some of the other native timbers I use for pens. From left to right we have burl matai, figured rimu, figured kauri, plain matai and burl coolabah for comparison. The stand is plain rimu.

Michael

MAPLEMAN
22nd December 2013, 08:42 PM
I can't say what the best Kiwi timber is, but if you want a stunning iconic New Zealand timber you can't go past Kauri. It is soft compared to Australian hard woods but, on a pen, a few coats of CA toughens it up.

These are some of the other native timbers I use for pens. From left to right we have burl matai, figured rimu, figured kauri, plain matai and burl coolabah for comparison. The stand is plain rimu.

MichaelLovely stuff there :2tsup::2tsup:..MM

MAPLEMAN
22nd December 2013, 08:53 PM
Mapleman and Artme

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, gentlemen

Clearly you are delusional if you you are thinking Australia's finest timber isn't a chunk of Curly Jarrah from the WA Southwest.:no:

Yes, it can be use for decks, but might I add, what a versatile timber it is, once again staking a claim for the best timber. It has been used to line the streets of London (what other timber has been exported all the way from Australia for that distinction???? Hmmmmmm). It is fantastic for floors, decks, walls and ceiling. It even makes stunning tomato stakes, and it is the best firewood to use in the middle of the WA ski season when were are buried under 2 meters of snow! :cool:

Jarrah is so good, it even provides us with stunning burls which are sought after around the world.

So, I rest my case.

Maple, from the images you have posted, Yes, I would love a tour in your shed, you have some very good timber, but sadly, I haven't seen any Jarrah :(

Merry Christmas all

Sincerely
Willy
jarrahland

PS All this is TIC and I added some emoticons just to lighten this up

PSS Still no K1W1 timber names??If i lived in Southwest W.A,i would definately seek out the fiddly Jarrah :q...saw some at the Brisbane metal and wood show a few years ago..a chap had a heap of 4x4's and 3x3's and it was all fiddleback...you are dead right Willy,it can be superb..MM:2tsup:

chuck1
23rd December 2013, 06:44 PM
I'm a fan of NZ cherry beech looks like American cherry and turns very nice, I came by it by chance as it was used as gluts in a pack of pine!

ian thorn
23rd December 2013, 08:44 PM
If you are coming though Dunedin let me know we can have a quick get together as I know time is tight and I will have some pen blanks for you I just need a bit of notice. No cost

Ian

Willy Nelson
25th December 2013, 12:36 PM
If you are coming though Dunedin let me know we can have a quick get together as I know time is tight and I will have some pen blanks for you I just need a bit of notice. No cost

Ian

Good Morning Ian
Thanks for your generous offer, which I would like to accept if I can.

We are on the Radiance of the Seas, which is Dunedin from 02 Jan 2018 from 0800 until 1800. I am doing the Hobbit Gorge tour, which gets back to the ship at 1500, allegedly.

I would love some KIWI blanks, but will swap for highly figured or burl pen blanks from WA, is 10 pen blanks ok? I shall bring a mix

Sincerely
Willy

ian thorn
26th December 2013, 05:20 PM
Stir? Stir? :o Wouldn't even know where to start :roll:

Aside from the dig at the Easterners, I am genuinely after some names for stunning K1W1 timbers. Just had a thought, and not stirring at all, but maybe the KIWIs could use the timber from their trophy cabinet, you know, the one that used to hold the Rugby League World Cup trophy. :;

Sincerely
Willy
jarrahland

And you would have plenty from the Ruby Cabinets that don't get used any more

Willy Nelson
26th December 2013, 05:20 PM
Gents
I have negotiated to meet a fellow pen turner who is kind enough to swap some timbers. Once turned, I shall post some piccies
Sincerely
Willy

blackwoods
29th December 2013, 09:20 AM
Consider the quarantine restrictions also if you haven't already. Pen making sizes should not be an issue but dont bring anything with bark inclusions or lots of sawdust in the packing. I have brought bits back from South Africa through Perth and they have been very careful to inspect. I've brought back bits through Melb from NZ and they really have a good look at what you've got.
My advice is to look at the AQIS website and know what you are bringing back in case you're questioned. Customs seem to be OK if you sound like you know what you're talking about.

Barry

ian thorn
29th December 2013, 02:27 PM
I am aware of the customs regs so all pieces will be ok and clean with the wood types marked.

Ian

ian thorn
2nd January 2014, 05:42 PM
I have meet up with Willy today in between His days tours of Dunedin a nice fellow turner and had a swap of wood.

Ian

Willy Nelson
12th January 2014, 12:26 PM
Finally I made it back home with a lovely stash of Kiwi timbers. I will start a new thread once I am settled in. Thought I might have seen a thread from NZ starring WA Timbers.

Thanks Ian for meeting and swapping, would have loved to stop and have a chat, but was under pressure from family to go the Cadbury factory. Apparently a couple of older gentlemen chatting about timber and turning isn't as exciting as some factory which makes chocolate, who would have thought?

Sincerely Willy

Jarahland

RETIRED
12th January 2014, 04:49 PM
Finally I made it back home with a lovely stash of Kiwi timbers. I will start a new thread once I am settled in. Thought I might have seen a thread from NZ starring WA Timbers.

Thanks Ian for meeting and swapping, would have loved to stop and have a chat, but was under pressure from family to go the Cadbury factory. Apparently a couple of older gentlemen chatting about timber and turning isn't as exciting as some factory which makes chocolate, who would have thought?

Sincerely Willy

JarahlandWomen have no sense of priorities.:wink:

Willy Nelson
12th January 2014, 08:03 PM

Sincerely Willy

Jarahland

Forgot to mention
I declared my pen blanks to the NZ quarantine on arrival. I stated Bone dry, no bug activity, no bark and sealed bag. They were happy with this.

Ian brought his blanks in a vacuum sealed bag and same story. I also brought some other timbers back into Aus, no problems.

ian thorn
12th January 2014, 08:57 PM
Good to see you made it back ok time was short but good to meet up and do the swap. I have sent Bam Bam half plus some of mine and you are right your blanks are fairy hard but turned and finished well. Did the family enjoy the Cadbury tour and the train trip. If you or any other members are doing the same trip we can do the same. Happy turning.

Ian

Willy Nelson
13th January 2014, 08:00 AM
Hello Ian
Yep, kids loved the Cadbury chocolate factory. I believe every kid from the ship was in there when I tried to force my way through. Kids loved the tour. Could'nt believe how much chocolate people were buying, full shopping trolleys. Highlight of the cruise was the 40 metre bungy jump in Auckland.

Train trip was good, but the two cruise ships had the monopoloy so we paid TOP Dollar. We did the train trip as it was the a wheelchair friendly activity.

If I ever do another cruise, will be sure to talk to you.

Willy

Willy Nelson
13th January 2014, 08:01 AM
Good to see you made it back ok time was short but good to meet up and do the swap. I have sent Bam Bam half plus some of mine and you are right your blanks are fairy hard but turned and finished well. .

Ian

No Photos, didn't happen :U

ian thorn
13th January 2014, 08:04 PM
I will Start doing Photos when they make it as easy as Face book and you don't have spend time on sizing

Ian