PDA

View Full Version : The ULTIMATE Sharpening Jig

brendan stemp
23rd December 2013, 07:48 AM
After the recent thread on the latest sharpening jig from Vicmarc I thought this video would be worth looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shXPHpquMzk

This jig will probably take a little longer to master but will sharpen any tool and is considerably cheaper than anything on the market.

I hope it helps.

Happy Christmas everyone.:)

dai sensei
23rd December 2013, 09:52 AM
Freehand????

WOODbTURNER
23rd December 2013, 10:41 AM
Finger a me Jig

issatree
23rd December 2013, 10:58 AM
Hi All,
Yes Neil, as far as I'm concerned, I have only ever used Free Hand Sharpening.
Have never owned a Jig. I like to use my finger as well. Only way to go.

I think that Brendan's You Tube Video's are the Best by Far.
Very Clear, great camera work, knows his Subject as always.

I do use 3 WA Oxide Wheels, being 60 - 80 - & the 120 for my smaller finer Tools.

Thanks Brendan.

brendan stemp
23rd December 2013, 11:05 AM
Freehand????

Free hand; that's right, your free hand is the jig:D

Hermit
23rd December 2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks for posting this Brendan. Looks like I've got a bit of homework to do.

Meantime, are you still planning a review of the new VicMarc jig, for those of us with two left hands?

brendan stemp
23rd December 2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks for posting this Brendan. Looks like I've got a bit of homework to do.

Meantime, are you still planning a review of the new VicMarc jig, for those of us with two left hands?

Yep, I still have plans to look at the VM jig along with the Woodcut Tru grind. However I have a long list of other projects I want to do so it may not be until Feb 2014.

rsser
23rd December 2013, 04:26 PM
Nice work Brendan.

Some beginner turners recoil from trying that and I say it requires no more tool control than cutting shavings on the lathe does!

For most of my tool retouching I use a platform without finger. Can get ladyfinger grind on my most used tools. Next step up is an aftermarket platform with mitre gouge for skews. After that something that will do long wing grinds.

Some specific responses.

1. Safety glasses are good, esp if wrap-around polycarbonate and under a shield. Yeah yeah. But eyes are hard to replace.
2. Wheel cleaning: I've found a single point diamond dresser in trailing mode to be the best. My T-bar smooths out mid to coarse wheels too much.
3. Dry grind wheels: for those who do a lot of turning and therefore tool sharpening, Norton 3X are good. About 3x the cost of white wheels but way cheaper than CBN or diamond. They grind cool (so also work for high carbon steels) and long before glazing. I'm happy to send you one to try. (No financial interest).

Best wishes for the festive season and for '14.

chambezio
23rd December 2013, 05:31 PM
Brendan. Great video! The freehand method you have shown is the same technique that we use to make a bowl. By keeping the bevel against the material and regulating the depth of cut by raising or lowering the handle. So the progression to grind "freehand" is really an extension of the method we use the tools anyway.
We had visiting the area back in Nov and his demos were based around the fundamental uses of the tools needed to create a turned object. It is always good to revisit the basics to check to see if we are using the tools correctly. Your video is just another "back to basics" technique which is great.
I have only this year gone to using Alu-oxide wheel on my grinder. Up until then I have used the grey wheels that come with the machine. The first thing that was evident using Alu was that the tool stays remarkably cool while the grinding process is done. Admittedly we are removing a small amount of material, but the grey wheels generate heat a lot quicker!! At Tech, we were taught to keep a finger close to the grinding zone to act as a thermometer, thus less burning of the thin edge.
Thanks again for the video. The method is also a "confidence builder" for operating the tools correctly

elderly
23rd December 2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks Brendan very informative.

hughie
24th December 2013, 01:57 AM
I have one of those,been using it for awhile now :U

issatree
24th December 2013, 04:24 AM
Hi to you all,
My Cleaner is kind of Unique.
Had a Cement Cutter Man, near home. Asked about his old 12in.+ wheels, gave me 2.
Used a Texta, & drew lines from hole to hole via the centre. Cut with Angle Grinder, & now have some Triangular Pieces, but had to clean them up a bit, drilled a hole so as to hang up.
Still had approx. 3 /16in. of Diamond left, Work like a dream, by also using " The Finger ". Cost = Zilch.

robo hippy
24th December 2013, 05:30 AM
Brendan,
I have found all of your videos interesting. I learned to free hand grind after a work shop with Stuart and Allen Batty, and watched Mike Mahoney and Jimmy Clewes a lot. The interesting similarity with all of them is the preference for coarse grit grinding wheels. Mike, in particular, states that a more serrated edge cuts better. Perhaps one advantage/disadvantage to the coarse wheel is that you remove more steel more quickly, so there is less time spent getting a correct bevel. With a finer wheel and a platform, set to the proper angle, you don't need the coarse wheel. I do prefer the CBN wheels. Just a lot less to fuss with, and they never need to be cleaned, balanced, or trued up. Also, there is no risk of them ever blowing up.

I don't know if it is proper to post the link under this thread or not, but I have a platform/free hand sharpening video up on You Tube (type in robo hippy) as well. It has been posted on the forum here before. I do agree that if you have basic turning skills, you have all the needed skills to free hand sharpen, and it is much faster than using jigs. It really isn't difficult. Like Yogi Berra (catcher for the New York Yankees base ball team) said, "it is 90% mental, and 10% in your head".

robo hippy

Christos
24th December 2013, 06:36 AM
I sharpen free hand but not with the finger close to the wheel. Now that I have seen this done I will give it a go.

Colin62
24th December 2013, 06:57 AM
I'm worried about what looks like a crack in the handle of that gouge.

brendan stemp
24th December 2013, 10:55 AM
I'm worried about what looks like a crack in the handle of that gouge.

Worry not; it's been there for a very long time.

brendan stemp
24th December 2013, 10:58 AM
Nice work Brendan.

Some beginner turners recoil from trying that and I say it requires no more tool control than cutting shavings on the lathe does!

For most of my tool retouching I use a platform without finger. Can get ladyfinger grind on my most used tools. Next step up is an aftermarket platform with mitre gouge for skews. After that something that will do long wing grinds.

Some specific responses.

1. Safety glasses are good, esp if wrap-around polycarbonate and under a shield. Yeah yeah. But eyes are hard to replace.
2. Wheel cleaning: I've found a single point diamond dresser in trailing mode to be the best. My T-bar smooths out mid to coarse wheels too much.
3. Dry grind wheels: for those who do a lot of turning and therefore tool sharpening, Norton 3X are good. About 3x the cost of white wheels but way cheaper than CBN or diamond. They grind cool (so also work for high carbon steels) and long before glazing. I'm happy to send you one to try. (No financial interest).

Best wishes for the festive season and for '14.

Yes, please send one. I'd be very interested in seeing what they are like. PM me so I we can work out the transaction details. Thanks for your input. HC&NY

brendan stemp
24th December 2013, 11:01 AM
Hi All,
Yes Neil, as far as I'm concerned, I have only ever used Free Hand Sharpening.
Have never owned a Jig. I like to use my finger as well. Only way to go.

I think that Brendan's You Tube Video's are the Best by Far.
Very Clear, great camera work, knows his Subject as always.

I do use 3 WA Oxide Wheels, being 60 - 80 - & the 120 for my smaller finer Tools.

Thanks Brendan.

Thanks Lewis, cheques in the mail:D

issatree
24th December 2013, 11:06 AM
Hi Brendan,
Yes, Thanks Brendan, Cheques are acceptable, Ho, Ho, Ho.

Bruce White
24th December 2013, 02:20 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Excellent as usual!