PDA

View Full Version : New issue of Aust Wood Review - 3 big lathes tested by Richard Raffan

rsser
23rd December 2013, 03:20 PM
An interesting read.

The big US-made Laguna is now being imported by Gregory Machinery.

The big Teknatool still has a two-piece bed that makes for point-alignment fiddles. Raffan had no patience to do it. It still uses a headstock-mount-only outrigger. The donk remains a gem though (unless the motherboard goes to permanent sleep).

Raffan doesn't like electronic braking when the off-switch is punched. He likes to hand brake on the wheel. I think e-braking is essential on a swivel-head machine but he doesn't use those. And I thought VLs had it. My 175 does anyway. The 300 has been his choice of machine and the latest (with spindle, not motor, dig rev read-out) was the 3rd in this review. IIRC Groggy's got one of his cast-offs (nice score).

I have a spare copy of this issue for some reason; if anyone wants it I'll post it for $8.25.

Best wishes for the festive season folks.

chuck1
24th December 2013, 04:32 PM
I like my hand brake as well it's also handy when applying W.O.P, some of the powered brakes can be dangerous I've seen the aftermath of an abrupt breaking system and the 8 inch engineering chuck unscrewed off the lathe cracked the bed and went across the floor! all through the lathe stopping to fast!
it is an interesting read this article!