PDA

View Full Version : My first box

bassmansimon
26th December 2013, 12:57 PM
Here is my first turned box. It's from Camphor Laurel. Sanded to 600 then finished with UBeaut EEE and then Shellawax.

I left the inside bare (just lightly sanded) to retain the natural smell of the timber.

Comments and critique welcome.

I noticed after making it that the other boxes on this forum are made with the lip in the lid, rather than the lip in the main section of the box (as I have done). Is there some convention about how it needs to be done, or is it really just up to the individual design?

Simon

Christos
26th December 2013, 01:17 PM
You have done really well for your first box it lines up pretty nicely.

bassmansimon
26th December 2013, 01:19 PM
The fit is just a tiny bit too lose for my liking. Obviously this doesn't show on photos

Christos
26th December 2013, 01:21 PM
The fit is just a tiny bit too lose for my liking. Obviously this doesn't show on photos

Shhhh don't tell anyone no one will know. :U

elderly
26th December 2013, 03:14 PM
That's a great first box.
Cheers Frank.

chuck1
26th December 2013, 04:13 PM
very impressive, and nice grain match.
with recess I normally put them on the base and lip on the lid but if it's sanded well it doesn't matter. unless you make smaller thiner lids then it gives more mass to the lid!

tdrumnut
26th December 2013, 08:31 PM
Nice work Simon, it looks fine to me.

powderpost
26th December 2013, 09:23 PM
Excellent effort... :2tsup:
Jim

Hermit
26th December 2013, 09:52 PM
Looks good Simon. I like the shape. :2tsup:
I'm not qualified to comment on the recess but it looks fine to me.
(I'm having a go at one myself at the moment. Fingers crossed.)

Edit: My recess is in the lid.

francè
26th December 2013, 09:53 PM
the first is well done and it's a good design , the decision to bring the tenon on the cover or on the box is a personal decision, but in fact I prefer the cover because the box can maintain the aesthetic line without cover .. IMHO .. :wink: ..

bassmansimon
26th December 2013, 10:10 PM
Looks good Simon. I like the shape. :2tsup:
I'm not qualified to comment on the recess but it looks fine to me.
(I'm having a go at one myself at the moment. Fingers crossed.)

Edit: My recess is in the lid.

Thanks Steve good luck with it.

TTIT
26th December 2013, 10:19 PM
......I noticed after making it that the other boxes on this forum are made with the lip in the lid, rather than the lip in the main section of the box (as I have done). Is there some convention about how it needs to be done, or is it really just up to the individual design?

SimonNice looking box :2tsup: I've done a few in the same style myself and like them a lot - easy to grip if the lid is a tight fit.
As for the lip, I do them the same way for a couple of simple reasons - having the lip on the box gives you more volume and there's less chance of the contents getting snagged when the lid is put on :shrug: . . . . and to me it just looks right! :;

artme
27th December 2013, 09:55 AM
Simnon, in the words of Jack Gibson you have "played strong, done fine".

A great box. Proportions are spot on and the shape is so easy on the eyes!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Now be a good fella and do some more.:wink:

issatree
27th December 2013, 01:31 PM
Hi Simon,
As far as I'm concerned, it is a personal thing, of which way you do them.
I'm for the loose lid, as a lot of people looking at your work, automatically pick up an 0bject by the lid in this case.
Lost a nice piece, years ago, when a little terrorist picked up my piece, by the lid, just got it over the edge, & the bottom dropped onto the cement floor, & the base broke off. I had $95 on it. Then I had nothing.
What does one say. Father apologized, & I thought so what. Devastated.
Of course little terrorists should not be allowed to touch things, but they do what they like most times.

Anyway Simon, I love Your Boxes, Great Wood, Great Design.

bassmansimon
27th December 2013, 01:38 PM
Hi Simon,
As far as I'm concerned, it is a personal thing, of which way you do them.
I'm for the loose lid, as a lot of people looking at your work, automatically pick up an 0bject by the lid in this case.
Lost a nice piece, years ago, when a little terrorist picked up my piece, by the lid, just got it over the edge, & the bottom dropped onto the cement floor, & the base broke off. I had $95 on it. Then I had nothing.
What does one say. Father apologized, & I thought so what. Devastated.
Of course little terrorists should not be allowed to touch things, but they do what they like most times.

Anyway Simon, I love Your Boxes, Great Wood, Great Design.

Ah the little terrorists! Did the father pay for the box at least?

issatree
27th December 2013, 07:36 PM
Hi Simon,
Yeh, Take a guess.

bassmansimon
27th December 2013, 07:37 PM
Not cool :~